Network Optimisations

Discussion in 'Support!' started by nofear1299, January 24, 2014.

1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Is it possible we can get an update on the network optimisations? any chance of seeing it soon?

I ask because after 20 minutes I start getting heavy lag. I can see all the units animating but they will not move for a few seconds. Between 1 second and a few minutes I will not get any updates to the game? Had a game the other night where I was actually doing very well (about 30 mins in) and then I was getting attacked from one side and I couldn't even respond even though I had 200 odd bots there. Then after it update half my base was gone because I couldn't respond.

I just think the network optimisations would go a long way to alleviating peoples frustration. I understand the whole beta when it is done philosophy and I'm by no means bitching but it would be lovely :D

Also how do I check my actual ping to the server? I ctrl+p but I'm not sure which one is my actual ping.

Last question - is there a way I can mod the lobby files to increase the refreshing time? Ie. so it updates messages and planet ready status.
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

To see your ping to the PA servers in Windows 7, start resource monitor. Click on the network tab, and then select PA, and you can then see below the ping to the server.
  3. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

ah ok I see it. Which will be your ping though? All I see is up and down speeds
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

up and down speeds are far more important anyway. Are the maxing out your internet connection?
  5. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Looks to be so and then some hey. I know they are aiming for a 2mb connection as a baseline. Was just hoping it would come quicker :p

I just played a game and while the amount of units didn't necessarily cause the lag the units moving did. So I took off all my planes off patrol, and made everything just stand and it worked ok, with +-500 units. Deleting units did help though.

Obviously I know this will all improve but was just hoping for an update on their progress with the optimisations on the network end.
  6. elwyn

elwyn Member

Are you using any Mods, if so try playing with them off. (A buddy of mine was using the Mod to remove the stars in the background and it was lagging the game out, after he turned that mod off it played good)
  7. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

I've got a few, will try turning them off tomorrow and see. I've grown rather fond of them though :(
  8. cola_colin

I don't know of many instances so far where mods resulted in really bad performance.
    What starts removal mod are you talking about elwyn?
  9. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Network optimizations have started.
    warrenkc, Yemm, FSN1977 and 7 others like this.
  10. elwyn

elwyn Member

NoStarField is the name of the mod
  11. cola_colin

very weird. I don't think that one changes anything that is even remotely related to performance. If it all it should reduce CPU load in the main menu.
  12. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a minimum upload speed requirement when the game is fully released? I only have .512mb for upload speed myself, which probably causes lag?
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's pretty hard to understand what you mean. Can you check your connection speed and post results here?
    http://www.speedtest.net/

For client bandwidth requirement is pretty low and if you mean you have 0.5mbps then it's totally enough.
    For server hosting you'll need 1mbps for each player at least so you won't able to host games with limited upstream bandwidth.
  14. vackillers

ok here and yes the internet here is not the best lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yep you not likely will able to host any games, but should be enough for playing.
    In few latest versions devs changed something in networking that make game use up to 7mbps (before there was 2mbps limit) and it's probably reason why game lags for you and few other players. I guess they'll adjust and improve it within updates.
  16. vackillers

thx for the info!
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Here is two quotes from forrestthewoods.
    From his blog. You can find the article here.;)
  18. dogahn

dogahn New Member

Sadly, I can't even play the game unless I have the entire network bandwidth available to me and well... Sharing a house with 3 other guys so that happens almost never :/

Really kind of a bummer, heck the packet loss is so bad for me last time I tried the game was glitching after 5 minutes and this was at 140fps cause I initially thought maybe my settings were too high.

Dogahn
    TLDR: I funded a game I probably won't be able to play, sadness.
  19. naginacz

naginacz Member

Minimui is 1 megabit. You have a 4.3 megabit (when you're alone :/).
    I think that's enough for pretty big games :).
    Upload speed is not what I noticed so important.
    I have a 5.5/0.5 Mb/s and I am currently experiencing lags. Recently, my bandwidth was enough for a really big games. I think that soon will be improved.
  20. elementalest

elementalest New Member

Right from the very start of Alpha i have had unplayable lag about halfway through the game as described by the OP. Late game i can barely see whats going on. One second my base is there, the next, half of it is gone and my commander is nearly dead. Yet everyone else in the game says there's no lag.

I have a 10Mbps/1Mbps connection and i can see that the game is using about 120-150KB/s down and about 60KB/s up. So my connection is not maxed out. I have a 2600K CPU and a HD6870, so my PC can handle the game. I have all the settings on medium and latest drivers too.

The only thing i can think of as the cause is the latency, which is 150-250ms because i'm from australia. Would this be the cause of such detrimental lag? Even though the actual latency is only worse case 300ms, yet i get several seconds lag?
    Last edited: March 2, 2014