Naval Feedback

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tvinita, January 13, 2015.

1. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Hovercraft transport and a airvraft carrier witch can make airplanes
  2. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Does uber plan on adding new naval units. I'm all for underwater bases. More units, more layers more strategies to devise. I think the biggest issue with naval in pa is the water is like ponds vs the oceans in sup com
  3. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Aircraft carrier as a mobile factory is the only implementation that makes sense for this game. Without a fuel system, there's no need to 'base' your air force anywhere nearby, but a factory that can advance as your frontline advances is useful.

The oceans seem like ponds because most of the planets we play on are quite small, and people usually prefer multiple smaller planets over a single gargantuan one. they certainly don't feel like ponds once you get into the 2000+ radius range. As the game becomes able to handle bigger planets (optimisations / forward march of CPU tech) You'll probably begin to see more super planets.
    burntcustard and MrTBSC like this.
  4. Tsunamisan

Tsunamisan New Member

Aircraft carriers anyone? Each ship is considered a builder and can build up to 5 aircraft of any type that is allowed by the current tech the player has. This way people that are either limited to naval combat or choose to go that rout instead have alternatives for attacking across the map as the naval units are severely limited in their movement.

Another thing i would love to see is star gates for naval/Air units so you can transfer then from one planet to another or pond hop them.
    nuketf likes this.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

naval teleporters yes .. air teles no, way too fast and too much mobility ...
  6. abot3

abot3 New Member

hen't play the game but watch some videos and naval just looks like extension of lan. It needs to be difference somehow from lan.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

needing subs for the most part ...
    seriously though naval does imo what it is supposed to ... being tankier slower and having a heavier long reaching punch than tanks but be limited to water ... the rest is tweaking
  8. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I did post this in another thread, but, for the long of god make their pathing smarter.

Seeing boats trying to go through an island/land and then just get completely stuck ruins them.
    drboggles likes this.
  9. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I have actually seen this problem before, for whatever reason, in almost every game with naval units, they tend to hug the coast when pathing (the shortest path), and end up getting stuck or just grinding slowly along the coast. they *should* avoid the coast
    ace63 likes this.
  10. abot3

abot3 New Member

No it needs more than...
  11. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

@tvinita
  12. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

moar speed
    moar teleporters
    =more fun
  13. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

Just a small notice: The Stingray model looks kind of strange after the naval rescale. Especially compared to the size of it's missile. In my opinion it could be "fixed" by changing the four loading bays for the rocket to one larger bay in the middle of the ship fitting the size of the tactical missile. (see my example below - credits to pamatches for the original image)

Attached Files:

cdrkf and squishypon3 like this.
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Naval need more differentiation form land instead of speed, IMO.;)
  15. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

Yesterday evening I had quite an interesting discussion about naval ongoing with Ghost. We talked on a quite global level and not so much about if some of the units need a buff or whatever. I want do show off some of my conclusions inspired by both of our opinions:

- On a single planet system with a decent amount of water, naval works out quite well for me. Naval units are able to attack the coastline bases, you can hide a base save from tanks and most bot (except slammers) units in the water and your fabbers are quite save compared to other unit types. Compared to bots you may not be as agile, but compared to tanks it's quite an option, to mix in or even focus on ships.

- On multi planet systems on the other hand, naval has quite some drawbacks. Main problem, and also solution at the same time is the lack of a naval teleporter, and the ability to transport ships in a decent (or better in any way) from one to another planet. We had a map with two water planets with some islands as a system, but even it had a huge amount of water, there was the problem that naval was not much of an option. It works to protect the home base, but there is no way to get an invasion going. I can understand that an air teleporter is more of a balance than any other problem, but I can't see why there is no option for naval to move between planets.

- There is too less water in the random generated systems. There are several bioms that don't feature any water at all. People are not used to work with naval, because often there is not even an option to go for it. The solution for it is to increase the probability for water. On the other hand we thought about ships moving on lava, too. For me it would be kind of odd, but at least it would introduce another biom with an option for naval. On the other hand I also could imagine a metal planet having a kind of artificial canal system.

I think all of this has been said before, but now that naval is fun on meso or pacific, it would be great to also come in play in bigger systems and in interplanetary warfare.