Naval Feedback

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tvinita, January 13, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Naval needs a speed of about 25 to 30 with acceleration of 2 - 5, this means they can get very fast, but short distances will be slow. (Meaning covering large arwas is quick, but crossing a small pond starts up slow.)

@tvinita this is how both Statera and RCBM (popular community balance mods) do it, and we've gotten great feedback on it. :)
    Deletive, radongog, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

maybe narwhals should have torpedo launchers instead of the orca's?

@squishypon3

sry screwed up with quoting
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Any particular reason? Naval isn't very unique at the moment over land.
  4. MrTBSC

this is no reason to remove defense towers from water ..
    and i dont see navalcarriers being of any particular use other than producing airplanes as airfactories do already ..

this is a bit of speculating but imagine we had the hovercraftfactory ... why would we not want to have stationary beamturrets or light artillery for when hovercrafts may add more dynamic and speed to the waterwarfare... yes naval ships are mobile heavy weaponsplattform but this to me is not a reason to take stationary defenses out from the water layer ... ... imho this way you make naval a more isolated layer and you still would want the same stationary defenses in a naval base on a waterplanet ... it would be simplier to just make torpedolaunchers the most effective against naval ships ...
    Last edited: January 13, 2015
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I think the scout should be made a bit more interesting. I don't use it in my build right now. I'll experiment with it more.

I think the narwhalls AA needs a small nerf. You can't do any damage with one bomber and it'll survive a bombing run from another bomber. that means to kill one narwhall you need 3 bombers or more (I think even 4 ?). just put one narwhall with the fleet and you're guarenteed safe from air which is a shame cause you can't react to someones unexpected naval attack fast with ships so, that piece of the map is screwed. You can't quickly respond to it.

also I'm with @cdrkf being able to make t2 slammers with a t2 naval factory. Its amphibious and it could be really useful on meso. Same for dox btw.

Orca feels really good. I like the torpedo's too.
    xankar, Remy561 and cdrkf like this.
  6. Yaegz

Yaegz Active Member

Here are my thoughts:

Although I haven't really played around too much with the gunships I really like the concept behind it. Navy needs a faster unit to do some harass if possible although I think it should be able to take a bomber in a 1v1 because otherwise a bomber is just way more versatile. Give it some weak AA or make it really fast so it doesn't get hard countered by bombers. Then again, I think I have made like one gunship since they were changed so take this recommendation with a grain of salt.

I think Navy in general needs to be a tad bit faster. Just a slight movement speed increase would be nice. The naval fabricator should receive a greater speed increase than the rest of the ships imo. It should be the same speed or a tad bit faster than the land fabbers. I think this would open up some more interesting play and give naval a slight advantage over land in one aspect. Other people have suggested making acceleration very slow but I think you can play around acceleration by moving in curves and make it a non-issue. It also makes units seem wonky and not fun to control.

The torpedo launcher is kind of useless against orcas. I think it needs a slight range increase.

Teleporter needs to work with navy.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. I'll keep thinking about it though.
  7. MrTBSC

sounds like asking to turn the gunboat into a naval dox
    no i rather think to just buff its weapon and hp a bit

agreed with the torpedolauncher
  8. Yaegz

Yaegz Active Member

I definitely disagree with the narwhal nerf. I would argue for the opposite because I think the narwhal AA is pathetic for how slow the ship is. A bomber should not be able to trade efficiently with a small number of narwhals because they are so incredibly fast and don't have to take an engagement if they dont want to. Also, once the narwhals are killed, the bombers can finish off the orcas for nothing. I think the narwhal is too squishy if anything.
  9. Yaegz

Yaegz Active Member

Buffing hp and health wont do anything if it still cant kill a small group of orcas or narwhals assuming there is more metal invested in gunships. It will also just die to bombers so I dont really see how the gunship is that useful in its current state. It can't do anything that a bomber can't do better.
  10. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

@tvinita since everyone is all "OMG TELEPORTERSSSSS" what you should do is make the teleporter dipped down innto the water, so the water is at the horizontal diameter of the gate. You could do animations of white lines indicating that water is indeed flowing back and forth.
  11. MrTBSC

against bombers speed increase against ships weaponrange + dps buff .. i still wouldnt want it to be just a naval dox ... narwahls are the primary naval aa ... if you want to keep your gunboats from harm have one with them ...
  12. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Well reading your post will probably fix the balance better. I said that cause you can't respond quick enough when you have a naval fleet coming in where you didn't expected it and when they have like two narwhals in the mix you can't do **** but hope that your fleet arrives in time ( which in most cases it won't). So I definately agree and give them more speed or being able to use tele's. I'd say a bit more speed then. Ofcourse this could also be the problem with my scouting ability's but with the speed they have now you'd need to think far ahead.

I'd understand if people want to increase the t1 torpedo launcher also. Especially when speed is going to be increased of ships.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Holy cow, kind of useless! They're totally useless against any threatening ship. They really should at least out range orcas, even if nothing else gets changes.
    tatsujb, MrTBSC and igncom1 like this.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yep, just played some naval and torpedoes without walls are kinda weaksause.
  15. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

@igncom1 I'm not sure walls could even help. Naval shots arc.
  16. igncom1

Torpedos are kinda squat or low to the surface, the walls very much can and did help.
    cdrkf and websterx01 like this.
  17. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

It seems that the AA is still lacking from the naval side. A range buff would be useful in that regards

Reduce T2 metal costs by ~10%, you hardly ever see T2 naval
    Remy561 likes this.
  18. igncom1

How strange.

Personally T2 naval units are the only ones with any serious hitting power, compared to the more swarm like T1 boats.
    burntcustard likes this.
  19. Yaegz

Yaegz Active Member

I am almost in favor of making the gunship a naval dox, maybe there is something that could make it more interesting that I am not thinking of but I definitely think it should function the best when it is away from your main naval force. If you need narwhals to protect it from bombers, then why didnt you just make more orcas? The gunship's movement speed would then be useless.
    xankar likes this.
  20. elodea

elodea Post Master General

1. orca + fighter is too dominant a composition
    2. pirahna needs same or more sight range than normal t1 ship weapon range
    3. Increase narwhal turret yaw rate so its not battle to the death
    4. Stingray is really bad and dies to a t1 ship. I would suggest more hp and able to intercept torpedoes or perform some such support utility. Currently a waste of metal - it's aa power is not as good as same metal of narwhal.

Torpedo launchers are fine. They even come with radar. With how slow ships are, the last thing you want is reactive turtling or easy peasy pirahna protection.

Narwhal aa is fine if not op. Problem is ship to ship.