Must Every Thread Be Turned into the Complaint Department on Balance?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eratosthenes, October 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

No, because there are no problems? There is no personal attack here.

Here's the logical flow in paraphrased terms

Colin: There is no easy way for the game dev to let modders know the game dev does not agree with their ideas. Silence is their best option most of the time.
    CC: Yes, uber selectively considers feedback
    Mered: No they don't, this claim is 'bullshit'
    Elodea: Show us how you know it is 'bullshit'
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I really have nothing to say to him in private. Of course I am a fan (fanboy as he calls it) of this game. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't. Several people on this forum seem intent on personally attacking anyone that enjoys this game and it appears he is one of them. It's really well beyond time that Uber just started banning people like that from the forum so that those of us that actually have fun with this game can get back to enjoying it.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Why don't you come on Teamspeak and I'll have it explained? It's not just my story to tell - it's Nano and MadSci's too.
    Get on TS, bro. let's civilly talk this out. We are in a serious pit of misunderstanding here.
  4. cptconundrum

I have no interest in speaking to you. Please consider being more polite in the future if you want to avoid more "misunderstandings". It's hard to misinterpret the post you just made.
    Quitch, kayonsmit101 and elodea like this.
  5. mered4

That's your problem. I wrote my post in a clear, understandable manner. I even put a TLDR at the bottom for you!

If we don't man up and hash this out in person, this conflict may never get resolved. Let's fix it here and now. No more hashing around the edges. Just get on TS.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. elodea

Why privately on TS? If you really can show what you claim, it's important enough to share with everyone here on the forums.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Mainly because it hasn't. There's only been one such PTE, and the result of it was the combat fab balance.
    I'll record it and upload it here assuming all parties consent to it.
    mered4 likes this.
  8. mered4

It would:
    1) be too lengthy
    2) take too much time in words.
    3) be a waste of time because we would STILL have the text barrier between us.
    4) pretty sure it's against the forum rules.
  9. cptconundrum

They are now doing their best to harass me on irc over this...

mered.png

Kids, I really just want to be left alone.
  10. elodea

So you speak with such conviction, and then when asked to explain your proofs, well... suddenly it's going to be a 'waste of time', 'too long', and 'against forum rules'. Pretty farcical to be bluntly honest.

I'm sorry, but if you can't back up your claims with concise and coherent arguements in written form, then don't bring them up in the first place and expect to be taken seriously. Why should you expect anyone to place any degree of credence to this?

It should be relatively simple no? The question stands, how do you know with such confidence that your ideas, and your ideas alone, have been purposefully and malevolently ignored, instead of privately evaluated? Did you call a phone psychic? Did you consult a crystal ball? Did you have a vivid dream?

Btw, text barrier is usually just another way of saying the ideas don't flow logically in written form and only make sense when spoken. Because then what's being carried is the emotional sentiment, and not any actual content.
  11. mered4

If you read what I said, I wasn't trying to harass you. I want to understand your side of the argument. I want to resolve any misunderstandings between us. If you want to do that later, that's your prerogative. But it needs doing so we can resolve this conflict.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I don't want to side with anyone here because I understand both sides. But if Mered4 leaves you guys alone, you guys should do the best not to burn-to-crisp his forum posts without addressing him on teamspeak before either side continues this on the forum.

Btw, it is against the forum rules. PM, TS, Recorded, Otherwise, I would even join without a real opinion just to listen and discuss, but it really shouldn't end up in posts like these.

I reinterate, without any specifics on any side being "right about balance or the devs", the devs ARE making another planned balance pass soon, including naval, and not limited to just numbers but new game mechanics and unit malfunction fixes as well. Let's give them yet another try, then opinionate further?
    mered4 likes this.
  13. mered4

I'm not responding to this. It's not even arguable. Hell, it's laughable.
    Which claims? Far as I can tell, all of my claims have facts and/or arguments to back them up.
    I never said my ideas have been purposely ignored. On the contrary, I am quite certain that the devs listen to what I have to say. That they act on it is an entirely different matter. I have, however, been ignored on SPECIFIC instances where I was out of line. That's a different story entirely.
    No, it's just faster to talk than to type. Sorry.
    I want to see those changes on the PTE first. Then I'll test vigorously with both BC and my Realminion Testing Team. Then, I'll drop my opinion in a carefully worded essay.
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

There was far more than just "thinking" going on, and that's the crux of the problem then, and now. Communication from some members moved from constructive discussion, to bringing up the same issues over and over again, in what seemed to be any and all unrelated threads, just as this thread is about. A number of threads started by uber were locked in short succession as a direct result of the derailments caused.

Also, the debate currently going on above needs to stop, now. Not only because it is getting personal, but (to bring this thread back to it's root) because ultimately, it's irrelevant - there's no excuse for derailing threads with unrelated balance discussions, period. Regardless of your thoughts on Uber's communication, or whether they are doing balance right or wrong, or whether they are listening. Being off-topic is a simple forum rule. There are existing threads and even an entire sub-forum for that.
    MrTBSC, squishypon3 and mered4 like this.
  15. elodea

It's absolutely relevant. If uber has infact been purposefully ignoring the balance contributions of the community as mered claims, i'd want to hear about it, and so would everyone else.

Either mered answer the question or continues to try and dodge it like he has. The choice is his.
    *To explain why this is relevant. Because it directly relates to why mered and others feel dissatisfied enough to keep bringing every thread back to balance complaints.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  16. stuart98

We do know that Scathis ignored the balance mods.

17. mered4

That was the crux of it, though. Their opinion wasn't addressed in multiple meetings (afaik - I could be wrong here). Thus, they saw fit to just bring it up again, and again, and again.....

Because it wasn't addressed.

Now, if I'm wrong on that, I could be completely off-point here. But that's what I saw. And I see it happening again - because Uber hasn't come out and said HEY GUYS! We are FIXING the Dox problem! We admit it's a problem! No, seriously!

Again, I deeply appreciate the work @jables has done to help improve communications, and that balance post he recently made is a huge step in the right direction. It just isn't what we expected, unfortunately.

I should have clarified. Looking back, this is what I meant:
    CC:
    The bad ideas get ignored and then the supporters of those start making threads about how bad Uber is at listening to the community.
    Mered4: That's Bullshit. And personal, because I know the people who make those threads personally. They aren't like that at all.

And will the above give you any context elodea? I don't pull this out of my ***.
  18. duncane

duncane Active Member

Oh Raevn. I was having fun ;) I was on my second tub of popcorn already ;p
  19. elodea

[​IMG]

*I'm not naming and shaming. I'm not personal attacking. I'm purely trying to get to the bottom of why mered and others keep derailing threads to balance complaints.
    Bsport, squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  20. stuart98

Do you dispute the fact that the creators of the balance mods were almost completely ignored by Scathis and co from the moment the modding PTE was released?
    ace63 and mered4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.