Movies !!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 4, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

True, although the film goes to great lengths to explain the history of the tech and why it hadn't been used extensively already....

My point was that can of worms or not, it's a really good film. It also looks like we'll be seeing more of the character moving forward.

Also way to quote me out of context. I love sci-fi and all that stuff (I'd be surprised if many pa fans didn't), and didn't say anything about the validity or otherwise of other genres of film, just that in general sci-fi doesn't worry about what's realistic or not (which is one of the things I like about it) so why would someone who likes scifi be against a film on the basis of lack of realism?
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Sci-fi is supposed to be realistic. Die Hard? Not so much.

Sci-fi's entire premise is "you know what? This just might happen some day", its a genre with a foundation in reality. Action movies have the premise of "Explosions are cool", there's no inherent need for realism.

And the movie does address the "why not use it on Helicarriers" thing. Half of Pym's lines are about how he spent years keeping the tech away from Stark because he thought it was far too dangerous. Give the movie a go.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

omg, I bawled watching this one. The whole time... geez
    arseface, Devak, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

So I just saw Pixels, because apparently I hate myself.

No, seriously it wasn't as bad as most other Adam Sandler movies. I mean it still has Happy Madison written ALL over it, but there were some cool parts, and by some cool parts I really just mean one cool part. The Pac-Man scene where they were chasing him in cars that were coloured like the ghosts was seriously pretty fun to watch,in fact a lot of the video game stuff was good, and the CGI was pretty cool (not great, mind but it looked neat).

Everything else was just depressing though. Adam himself looked damn near broken, he just had this look of "I don't want to be here" in every scene. The relationship was the most awkward and forced romance I've seen, Kevin James was president because aodhsdfsogsjiuogfpjmrujsdjfsf, and of course like any Happy Madison movie, it was about as funny as a crippled puppy. Like I said it's not as bad as other Sandler films but it's still pretty bad.
    The action scenes based around video game characters are alright but they aren't worth sitting through the painful dialogue.

Basically my only recommendation is to wait for the movie clips YouTube channel to upload the Pac-Man scene, watch that and then watch the Futurama episode "Anthology of Interest II".
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  5. Geers

I seriously thought this was a joke the first time I saw it. Who the HELL thought that was a good idea? Like, REALLY. WHAT THE HELL.
  6. tehtrekd

Yeah, it was a baffling choice of casting, and it was lazily set up, too, Adam just HAPPENS to be friends with the president, it just didn't sit right with me.

Also, how the hell did a probe sent out in 1982 reach the outer solar system AND an alien planet so fast? The Voyager launched in '79, and it hit interstellar space like, two years ago.
    I know it's a movie about real video game characters attacking Earth but come on. They could've just said "oh, it was intercepted by an alien colony on one of Jupiter's moons" or something and it would've made sense, but I guess that's a nitpick.
  7. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Adam Sandler + Kevin James is just a synonym for "this is crap dont watch it."

Maybe once they were funny, but it's just painful to watch old men act like they're 16 and in American Pie.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

there ya go

callllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllled it
  9. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Wow, lotta hating on Pixels here! I watched it with my 11 year daughter, she liked it, and we both laughed a couple of times. I didn't think it was that bad, plus it was good to see an original idea for a film rather than some sequel or comic book rip off.
  10. tatsujb

"original"? what's original about being like "oh hey dem vidiurr gams thingymabob's.... they're quite popular right now right? let's make a movie about them!" -"yes! fanstastic! let's put adam sandler in it and some other unlikables!"
  11. Geers

Er... Comic book movies aren't rip-offs. They have the rights to those. And even the worst superhero movie is better than another Adam Sandler movie. Your 11 year-old daughter is the target audience. Which is pretty weird since all the video game references significantly pre-date all the kids.
  12. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Maybe 'rip off' was the wrong term, but nevertheless Hollywood seems pretty much out of new ideas, it was nice to see something new(ish). And yes my daughter might have been the target audience, but someone had to pay for her, go with her, and they got the references (which she thought was cool).
    Plus 'Punch drunk love' is a good film, and Sandler is in that.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. tatsujb

yeah

Last edited: August 2, 2015
    badfucatus and Geers like this.
  14. tehtrekd

Seriously, watch Anthology of Interest II.
    Devak and badfucatus like this.
  15. Geers

I have a better idea: DEMOLITION MAN.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. tatsujb

17. Devak

Hollywood has pretty much always been like that. In recent times it's become worse and thus more noticeable, but its pretty much always been like this.
  18. Geers

MrTBSC, killerkiwijuice and tunsel11 like this.
  19. Devak

spoilers: the red band trailer changes a few lines. that's it.
  20. Geers

So that Fantastic Four movie. Early word is that it's crap.

That's too bad. I thought it had promise. Oh well, to be expected considering the history of it.