Movies !!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 4, 2015.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

My favourite movie is this
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Steam Greenlight: The Movie.
  3. Geers

Saw Kingsmen yesterday. IT'S REALLY GOOD!

Great action (camera goes a bit too crazy sometimes though but I was in the very front row so maybe it's ok when you can actually see the entire screen at once), good humour, no BS romantic subplot that drags the plot down, acting is great and good cast choices.

This movie completely craps all over the new Bond movies. So much better than the generic spy-thriller crap Bond is now.

My biggest complaint would be the badass ninja lady is underused and not really much of a developed character.

Also CinemaSins is going to say "scene does not contain a lap dance. But close enough! -1 sin!"
    Last edited: February 22, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I watched American Sniper recently and can highly recommend it. It wasn't as patriotic and gung-ho as a lot of American military themed movies are; of course patriotism was referenced but the film is really more of a character study.

Bradley Cooper's performance is outstanding. You really sympathise with the difficult decisions that he had to make as a soldier, and particularly as a sniper.

The last action sequence dragged a bit, I thought, but overall, a good film :)
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'll pass, why is it that it's satirical in Inglourious Basterds for Nazis to be watching a movie of the utmost importance to their creed named Stolz der Nation (Nation's Pride) about, I'm not kidding here, exactly the same thing as American Sniper, but nobody sees the irony in the current situation?

This is one of several propaganda movies released in case the ukranian conflict escalates.

you're smarter than this, don't feed this industry.
  6. Geers

Are you serious?
  7. tatsujb

yyyup.

I don't see any justification for this movie.

it isn't the time nor the place and given the number of other ideas they could have gone with for a war/pride movie, it's rather shameful they went with snipering, given the subtext.
  8. Geers

You know it's based on a book right?
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  9. tatsujb

everything's based on a book.

that's no excuse.

you know Mein Kamft inspired movie-makers as well during the second world war.

jokes aside, when was the last time you saw a movie that didn't start off with "based on this book" or "based on real life events".

it's business man. that **** sells.

I think that'd be obvious given that they'd much rather make a fith freakin godzilla remake or a second Teenage mutant ninja turtles or an AntMan movie (FFS, really?) then come up with a new protagonist, story, world. just innovate.

the fact that it be "based-of" something makes it bona-fide gold apparently.

maybe this guy's the one trowing them the tips.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: February 23, 2015
  10. tatsujb

common man the book is three years old ARE YOU FUKIN SHITTING ME? movies take on average 4 years to make that book could have well been written JUST to have that line in the movie.

and the book only ever sold thanks to the movie according to wikipedia.
  11. Geers

Now you're just trying to twist facts to suit theories.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  12. tatsujb

what facts? the sales? the four years? or the three years?
  13. Geers

It made the best seller list all by itself and was written by a Navy SEAL. Stop trying to come up with a crazy convoluted explanation to everything. It's just silly.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  14. tatsujb

????? And I'm twisting the facts????

that's 52% of all the sales it ever had starting three years ago in just the year after the movie came out.

The book sold BECAUSE of the movie. also it has nearly no sales outside of the U.S. also harry potter sold 450 times as much. and that's still nothing compared to dante or romeo and juliet (not to mention the holy bible :p ) it's not a book with great success.

add to that that to me the fact that it be written by a navy seal is not a mark of quality.

ofc the movie industry is probably unrelated to the book's motives for being written, but common... it begs the question, no?

it could easily have happened.
  15. Geers

You know you could make the exact same argument about Kingsmen.

This comic about British spies just HAPPENS to get an adaption now? Obvious propaganda to make British Intelligence look good in case tbethe situation in Ukraine escelates.
  16. tatsujb

lemme catch up then :
    Kingsman is obvious propaganda to make British Intelligence look good in case the situation in Ukraine escalates.

thanks for pointing it out to me :p
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Tatsu, have you taken your pills lately? You've dived WAY off of the deep end.

What book is this movie based off of? Lone Survivor? Nope! Thank goodness, that drops off a lot of topic.

Either way, tatsu, I don't think it's a conspiracy.
  18. tatsujb

i don't care. the irony is too savory for me too let it slide.

I am of the conviction that one should strive to live one's life with the absolute minimum of irony in his tracks.

the movie makers are the summit of what I hate.

don't get me wrong i LOOOOOOOOOOVED inglorious basterds, that movie was addressed towards people like me, and reveled in it's own cleverness and mockery of so many things at once.

in inglorious basterds it was satire to show the nazis self glorifying themeselves with a german sniper movie and i'll continue defending it as such.

continuing on the same line of thought I find the current situation with american sniper satirical in the utmost but frightening since i'm the only one to notice this satire and also, it's not a movie, it's real life.
  19. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I'm not sure Clint Eastwood would really try to create a satirical movie.... Quentin Tarantino? Yah, he would :p
    *note: I have not seen American Sniper. Not really interested, probably never will.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@tatsujb

I haven't seen the movie, but as far as i can tell it sounds quite nice. I have a military family and I like for people to know that soldiers don't just go out, shoot muslims, and feel nice.

From what I've been told the movie all deals with how it feels mentally to have to take each shot, knowing you're about to end a human's life.

Maybe I'm wrong- but Tatsu.. Why judge a book by its cover? Go see it before you make accusations of it being just American propaganda, please.

Edit: Though like I said, I haven't seen it either... So all of this is kind of just hearsay.