Mouse Pointer problem for Linux

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by squishypon3, August 27, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Just started up PA for Linux for the first time ever, and I've got an odd problem. My mouse's pointer is a big box with differing patters depending. This times it's a orange box with a few other shades, earlier it was black with some random blue spots.

Can't provide a picture as print screen doesn't catch the mouse. :/
  2. squishypon3

After disabling Steam's in game overlay I now get an invisible mouse. :S

Edit: Restarted, now its a couple orange lines... This is weird, haha. :p
  3. n00n

n00n Active Member

When posting an issue, info on what video card and drivers your using is always helpful. I suspect you are having one of the following issues: FS#3551 or FS#1595.
  4. squishypon3

I'm using Intel HD 3000, I can't get the version until later

Edit: I'm also using Zorin OS, derived from gnome and ubuntu as far as I understand. Zorin 9 I believe.

This is after an install, to be fair I may have incredibly outdated drivers since it's first install of Linux and I don't believe the windows drivers follow through. :p
    Last edited: August 27, 2014
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You need to install "mouse cursor fix" mod using PAMM. ;)
  6. squishypon3

Oh alrighty, thanks.. oh and I finally got it to boot SXX, turns out it was a silly mistake- there was the option to go through with disk drive or something which came up with the error, turns out I needed to select the "linux distributions" option... haha. ^^;
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

And yeah for sandy bridge it's might be worth to get latest 3.17 kernel because it's bring some unexpected performance improvements there. :)

Just wonder what amount of RAM you have on this laptop?
  8. squishypon3

A measly four, I'm hoping to get an extra four soon.
  9. squishypon3

I wanted to admit.. I didn't understand exactly what a swappers was and only gave it a gig, now as of what I understand it should be set to how much ram you have right? What would you suggest for 4 gigs to be used optimally?
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

SWAP on Linux is basically same thing as "page file" or "virtual memory" on Windows, but it's works differently and as far as I remember it's also used for hibernation. So in case you want to use hibernation it's should be at least 4GB, but set it to 10GB wouldn't hurt.

There is a lot ways to control or enforce SWAP usage so it's can be really helpful. There is tools based on CGroups that allow to do that.
  11. squishypon3

Ah alrighty, thanks. Sadly I only have 30GBs left on my C: Drive so I'll have to make the windows partition at least 20 gigs smaller so I have ten more for Linux and 10 for the swapper.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Careful how you divide it up. Physically, your memory on hard drive cannot be moved around easily. OS for instance, best to stick them all on "one end" with a little bit of room for cushion, especially linux. Actual storage, best to stick on the other side. Best not to divide up tons of little dividers all over the place around your data, if you need more later you will be hard pressed to use the 1g here and 1g there between each partition.