More details on upcoming Asteroids update!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, June 23, 2015.

1. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Always used pole lock, always will. It's deffinitly not a noob trap. Even if your base is on a pole that is totally not a problem. The reason why pole lock is so good is that you can remember te terrain and map layouts much faster than without pole lock.
  2. jables

jables Uber Employee

Oh random addition to the update...

+sing when typed in chat will change the sound of unit selection to something rather silly.
  3. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Howard had some spare time? :p
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

to me it´s rather a simple case of having a "top" and a "bottom" it is a bit janky though when you try to give moveorders to the opposite side of a map like say on forge ...
    rivii likes this.
  5. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

Woah, wasn't this a thing in Total Annihilation? If so, nice nod!
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  6. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

I think Halleys could differ for planets if they allowed free movement of the planets!

Kerbal Space Program has a good maneuver node system; I'm mentioning this because a clone of that would make an excellent orbit alteration system for planets with Halleys here; more Halleys would reduce burn times.

You could even burn retrograde (in the opposite direction of movement) to put the planet in an orbit that would make it fall into the sun!

This is probably day dreaming, though I should add I'd like *some* reason smash planets into others and not asteroids, as there is your economy at stake.
    Last edited: July 13, 2015
  7. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

I would rather had that as a surprise but ok :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

You want people to learn orbital mechanics for a rts game? Why not also add delta v, twr, isp, center of mass and thrust, vernor engines, different fuel types, planets with physics, collision physics, gravitational lensing, black holes, worm holes, the Doppler effect, full n-body simulation, and all that that comes with space. And don't forget kerbals.
  9. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

I want to see that. Where is the update????
  10. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

It's not ready yet. We're still working out some bugs before we post it up to PTE.
    doud, Remy561 and cdrkf like this.
  11. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

Whelp, I've figured out what to do.

Update lands removing craters...
    [​IMG]
    ...I make sure I don't launch Steam while connected to the internet so I don't get the update...
    [​IMG]
    ...EVER, and I never play multiplayer again.
    [​IMG]
    MrTBSC, ace63 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Or you could just download the uber launcher and install that, then use uber launcher for offline whilst keeping steam for online play.

You can even copy and paste your current install into a separate folder if you want to keep this version. I think I remember one player has been archiving each release since alpha like that haha.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

real pros have their PA directory as a local git repository.

and unlike me actually make proper names in the commits and commit after every patch directly without other random changes in it
    lafncow and cdrkf like this.
  14. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Uhh, not really, no need for people to learn about Delta-V at all, the maneuever node system is very simple. Just add prograde-retrograde and you're golden; you just click somewhere on the orbit and the game automatically does the burn.

No need to be snarky bro.
  15. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Thing is, you're asking for a system that's very complex and might make the game less intuitive in a lot of ways. Most players in KSP even use tools to dertimne transfer windows.
  16. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I use mechjeb because I can't land things for the life of me
  17. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

But landing is one of the most fun parts of that game! :eek:

I recommend using the surface info (or better Kerbal Engineer Huds). Use it to keep your vertical velocity in check, spam lots of F5's, and try to keep the prograde marker in the middle (best way to do it is to keep your aim halfway between retrograde and the middle point of your marker when coming down almost vertically). Also, a Lander with 3 legs and low center of mass gives you a maximum of stability (outside of ultra-heavy crafts).
  18. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

I think the original intent of his statement meant just different types of engines (like smaller and cheaper halleys)
    It also seems like it was stated sarcastically as well...

___

This is sort of unrelated, but it seems as though all the players want to be devs of the game. Why?

I think its because the game is just ALMOST there to the point where it becomes an awesome and even more epic game with some flavor, which it currently lacks.

I could prove my point with some examples:
    -Some people are "obsessed" with posting ideas on the forums and arguing against them such as the discussions held on this page
    -PAMM
    -Map pack creators

All of these things are the attempts at making it that way.

Maybe its time for Uber to start looking towards the players a little more for some help as to what should help the game survive and possibly thrive for years to come rather than just taking only players' suggestions (EDIT: suggestions including bug reports) about bugs. Maybe some of these mod makers would be glad to help or assist.

It may very well be this upcoming asteroid update fulfills the quest for the missing game flavor.
    We shall see.
    ___

+sing
    Last edited: July 17, 2015
    probodobodyne and stuart98 like this.