More details on the 10/9/14 update (Offline Server step 1)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 8, 2014.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Local LAN you say?
    Edit: That was a game over the internet. Just realised the post I linked to was missing some context.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I did find the command but it didn't do anything helpful.
  3. someone14

someone14 New Member

Hi,
    Try netstat -abn (from an elevated command prompt). It will show you all TCP and UDP connections with the associated executable.

You can pipe it to a text file if it is a bit to big.

ss64.com/nt/netstat.html

-a Display All connections and listening ports.
    -n Display addresses and port numbers in Numerical form.
    -b Display the exe involved in creating each connection or listening port.*

Code:
    netstat -abn > netstat_out.txt
    cola_colin likes this.
  4. cola_colin

Thanks, though by now I have a copy of PA on a linux server and it works there.
    squishypon3 and proeleert like this.
  5. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Just ran a PTE with 4 ai vs me game on the earth solar system... wow. What a difference. I can finally play this game!

Not to mention it took like 10 seconds to generate the planets O_O

50 minutes in, several hundred units in my army, invaded the ai's planet with hundreds of units, game was still running at normal speed - the worst I saw was a bit of a stutter when just about all my troops engaged in combat.

Mind you, this is running 16GB, i5-4670k @ 4.0 GHz, off an SSD.

Still. Awesome!

Also didn't have to log in / install anything - ended up just copying the PTE folder over from my work computer and ran the PA.exe, started up and let me play hassle free.

Woot!

I noticed it PA.Exe used pretty much all my cores too while playing. Awesome stuff!
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

And I'm still sitting here at work waiting to go home and test it. You're making me jealous! ;)
    blackwinsdk likes this.
  7. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Very nice. So what happens when I leave it on Auto? Sorry if it's already been stated.
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Oh man, you modders are loving this aren't you!

Also, if I don't log into the Launcher, could I still play online? o_O
  9. galaxyisos

galaxyisos Member

Wow thanks!
    nowadays lots of detailed informative threads/posts from devs.
    Hopefully we will still see this kind of threads after 1 month:D
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
    spittoon likes this.
  10. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Yay info :)

Now I wonder how many are going to play offline as it will need a better pc for bigger systems :)
  11. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I am thinking about buying new mobo+cpu+ram, that or GTX980. Part of reason for it is PA. Then my current (a bit old) PC will take role of PA server. I am curious about how many units some average home PC can handle when used as client and server for game.
  12. jables

jables Uber Employee

For context on time differences, I just got in to work. Having spent the last 2 years in Germany, I totally get the time differences being weird. We usually wait for our testing and engineers to be happy with the build before sending it out. That is why there is no actual time stamp on the release window. Usually just a date.

Real life example: today's build. We had a build ready yesterday (now on PTE), but looking into a few things some of our engineers worked late to get more bug fixes in. Big ones such as "PTE not working on Mac" down to smaller polish on pathfinding. Those things were checked in last night and now we are testing through things on a new build this morning. Our goal is to release as soon as we are happy with that. Hopefully with enough daylight to be here to fix any possible emergency issues that somehow slipped out the door after testing (without our engineers having to do a 15 hour day).

Hope that makes it more clear. :)
  13. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I got the server to run. But it appears something is preventing the automatic LAN server detection (2 laptops on the same Router with DHCP).
    Any way to directly give the IP-adress of the server I want to connect too? Command Line argument for the PA exe or console perhaps?
  14. cola_colin

You can do it via the UI debugger:

sessionStorage['gameHostname'] = '"176.31.115.99"'; sessionStorage['gamePort'] = '53999';window.location.href = 'coui://ui/main/game/connect_to_game/connect_to_game.html';
  15. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Of course. If you start PA without the Launcher, PA itself allows you to enter your Uber ID and password should you wish to play online.
  16. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

To be a bit more precise: All Steam, Uber launcher and (if enabeled) PAMM do is relay the login information/session ID to the PA.exe on start, so you don't have to manually enter them. The games login is fully seperate from all other login. It just get's usually relayed the data from the launcher.

I am not 100% certain how to get to the UI debugger.
    I put Dev Mode/Toggle Console on a keybind. Is that the right one?
    Do I just copy the text into the debug window (with adapted port and Ip adresses of course), or is there anything else i need to write first.

I verified that the server is listening to a port with netstat -anb. Apparently it chooses the port 139 for my case.
  17. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Okay, I think I am getting closer now:
    When entering the wrong port I get a "connection to server lost" error (this time the port it choose was 6772). If I get the port right I instead get a "connection to server failed" error.

I copied the IP adress from what ping resolved the netbios name too and cross checked it with what the adapter said. That only leavs stuff like the windows firewall on either side getting in the way, I will try that one next.
  18. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Sort of, but there is a Debugger executable somewhere in the PA directory as well. It's a separate program. I think the console should also work though.
  19. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Now I checked it using HFS: I can connect to a HTTP server running on the same computer. Even with a odd port number like 139 or 6772 (using IE. FF does not like non-standart http ports for security reasons).
    So no general issue connecting to ports on the other computer, or connecting with the computer in general.
    Both sides Windows firewalls are disabeled.

I have to try the debugger executeable next. It might be some issue with the console approach.

Edit:
    Where is the UI debug exe? I found none.

The log is not really giving me anything usefull on the mater either (this time it was on port 9999):
    [19:01:49.313] INFO ClientInterface constructed
    [19:01:50.313] INFO Connect to 192.168.178.21:9999 failed: Refused
    [19:01:51.328] INFO Connect to 192.168.178.21:9999 failed: Refused
    [19:01:52.328] INFO Connect to 192.168.178.21:9999 failed: Refused
    [19:01:53.328] INFO Connect to 192.168.178.21:9999 failed: Refused
    [19:01:54.328] INFO Connect to 192.168.178.21:9999 failed: Refused
    [19:01:54.328] INFO Could not connect to Server at: 192.168.178.21:9999
    [19:01:54.328] INFO client::ClientGame::connection_ConnectionFailed
    [19:02:01.656] INFO client::ClientGame::resetGameState
  20. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

This is one of the best posts that I've ever seen on the state of development for PA, and you are still new to this game? Wow! Keep this up, and you might never see another negative post again (too optimistic I know)! Plus you are obviously doing wonders for the HR KS now as well! Please continue to do this sort of thing, even if it does not coincide with any new build releases. Can't have too many status updates, or too much detail on what's being worked on, what is working, what is not, and biggest of all, what is planned. Nice work, jables! I'm already so happy that you joined the team!
    spittoon likes this.