More details on the 10/9/14 update (Offline Server step 1)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 8, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I meant "an", give me a break- everybody makes typos! :p

Edit: Tastu is going to kill you btw. ;)
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

In-game mod management means the ability to write to the local file system. As you can imagine, this is no doubt a security minefield, especially since PA's UI is so open to the internet. So even though with just one change an in-game mod manager could be made by the community, in practice that one change is not trivial and I can understand why it has not been done so far.
    brianpurkiss, Gorbles, Quitch and 4 others like this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Very good reasoning, I hope in the future there might be some way to avoid these potential risks.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

[​IMG]yes!! I'm going to kill everybody!!!! stop sub-quoting!!
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. tatsujb

PS: :p love, tatsu.
    stuart98, squishypon3 and Raevn like this.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

There are easy enough ways to avoid it (exposing a specific api to write a modinfo.json file, for example), but it would probably be time consuming to ensure its not exploitable.

Also, it doesn't give us much we don't already have, so to me of far greater importance is the removal of roadblock files - those that are needed by multiple mods, but need to be shadowed so multiple mods can't use them. For example, unit_list.json is pretty major - only one mod can add units at time, at the moment.
  7. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

So how hard is it to get the server to run dedicated (instead of an isntance being created on demand by the PA.exe)?
    Command Line arguments?
    Just running an .exe with minimalistic control form/window?
    Changing .ini files?

Will there be an option to freely give IP/Port pair for a server to connect too for Multiplyer games*?
    What about an option to give a IP/Port pair for GW or AI skirmish?
    Is there any automatic discovery of servers running in the same LAN?
    Wich ports are you planning to use by default?

*At the end of the day there is little difference between Multiplayer and AI skirmish game, so one can play AI Skirmishes using the Multiplayer Lobby function.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Some questions are answered by the server.exe:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure yet how it determines on what IP it binds. I just realized I don't know what to use for netstat under windows.
  9. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

try: server.exe --allow-game-config --allow-lan --headless
    for setting up a standalone server. You will get automatic discovery on a LAN network.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

server.exe stays in background even after I leave a game. It even eats cpu. Is that normal?

EDIT:
    It just left, guess this post scared it off.
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Hello old friend. :D

[Edit]
    Welcome back Jables!
  12. Consili

Consili Member

Looking awesome, thanks for the detailed update! : D
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Lolz Poly aint a dev. He's an old timer like @Col_Jessep
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

New Commanders? Hells to the Yes! Offline Ai Skirmish? Hellz yes again! Get that update out already :p
  15. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Great work both on the server and the communication. I just upped my pledge to HR 20 -> 40$, hope others here do the same!
    Remy561, squishypon3 and cwarner7264 like this.
  16. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Netstat's built into the Windows CLI too, has been for a looooong time! :)

@jables Can you give us a bit of information about how updates are released? Do they happen at a specific time / within a specific window (in which case, what times)? Do releases happen at the same time worldwide? Is Steam updated at the same time as the UberLauncher?

Just wondering cos we're not all Americans, so I'm betting there's quite a few people who've been up and waiting for this for hours already! :)
  17. stonberg

stonberg Member

Good news! $40 pledged to HR :)

Will this help with both of: units getting "confused stuck" (e.g. trying to cross a rift rather than going around it) and also "completely stuck" (e.g. on the complexity of the terrain of metal planets, for example those generated for the Galactic Wars red faction leader battle)?

TIA
  18. tatsujb

wow holy smokes that helps alot, thanks!
  19. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Yup DRM free for local lan. Where is my phone, need to call my friends and make day of destroying tin cans.
  20. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

Quick question on shared systems and offline play...

I am running the PTE build right now to test all of this stuff out and after changing the server from AUTO to ON I ran a couple local games against the AI. It ran great and I will soon try local LAN but that's another topic. For the AI skirmishes I played, I was unable to select and use any of the shared systems.

I know the shared system mod is just that, a mod; however, will that mod have to be modified to allow maps to be used while offline? Or is it the game itself that is doing something wrong? I was able to see maps from the default server but no others, and when selecting one of the default server shared systems it didn't let me load it.

Cheers