More details on the 10/9/14 update (Offline Server step 1)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 8, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

2. jorgenpt

jorgenpt Uber Programmer Uber Alumni

Yes, that's correct. @jables will update the post, but I've already tested it on Linux and it should be working fine on both Mac and Linux.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm getting the impression that it will be plug and play. No tutorial required.
    melhem19 likes this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'll get myself some once I need them.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I just wonder will be some ability to save replays included or not?
    Not really care about saves at moment, but it's would be interesting to see offline replay system. ;)
  6. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

Can you play offline while steam is set as online?
  7. jables

jables Uber Employee

This should work, yes. We will allow changing offline/online/auto detect in the settings I believe. (will have to double check this after this meeting with the engineer working on it.)
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I can only underline what (nearly) everybody is already saying: This is an update on the details like it should be!
    Go continue this way and I´ve got confidence that most will turn out quite fine!
    There´s no need to be sad: This update will proberly ON LONG TIME also grant better server performance for those who don´t care about offline-mode! And better server performance--> less slowdowns---> faster games ---> more gaming in a given timeframe. And this cannot be bad! :)
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for restoring my faith in Uber ability to communicate with Fans.
    This is exactly what i was expecting (and i recognize it takes time to do this properly).
    Note that i'm pretty sure many of us are not expecting over promises about the future of PA.
    Many of us know making a game requires time and money. Many of us also recognize how much has
    been achieved on PA and all the technical challenges the devs have to achieve.
    We simply needed such perspective even if we understand that because you give perspectives there are allways
    risks that these perspectives can't be achieved. We just need to understand the plan with much more details than we used to have so far.

By the way i want to confirm the huge improvement i've seen in last PTE with Simulation able to handle a really larger amount of units at the same time. Really, Really good stuff !
    Thanks again.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

thanks.

is there anything planned for mod support?

...in the sence that most client mods and all server mod are loaded at the execution of the game. And this is a big drawback compared to PA being flexible enough to allow the change of any moddable region with PA running. This would allow for a mod marketplace. (which isn't of any interest if it's outside the game as not enough people will use it).
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. jables

jables Uber Employee

Still new enough to have no idea on details here, sorry :( I do know this release officially is not supporting mods, but from what I have heard from a few engineers, mods should have fun with it. Once I have more details on our roadmap, I should be able to better answer these sort of things. That being said, more mod support will show up in the future, I just hate saying it and not having more details for you.
    ViolentMind, Gorbles, ace63 and 6 others like this.
  12. jables

jables Uber Employee

Quick update on this. We got in a custom commander that someone has agreed to allow be sold as well. So a new commander should be on marketplace in this update as well. (will update the original post)

We actually got in more than just the 1, but rest were not agreed to be sold, so less interesting for you guys.
  13. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Have Well will the offline server scale when Having more CPU cores?
  14. tatsujb

Hey that's ok I'll just *boop* some devs ;)

@sorian @metabolical @garat @scathis@bgolus @mkrater @Polynomial @pinbender @varrak @chargrove
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well at the moment we do have mods, but because this is a client to server architecture mods are installed, then uploaded to the servers, then downloaded back by all players. One great thing about this is if anyone joins your game, they instantly can play with you, because the server is sending them all the gameplay information. Because offline is here, we should be able to host mods that used to be forced server side offline, because well... We'll be hosting a server. :p
  16. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Any chance we can see a rework of orbital and multi-planet gameplay? Or any chance of changes to what it is currently (not including balance changes to existing units)
    ViolentMind and stuart98 like this.
  17. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

This makes me very happy indeed.... Thank you Brad, Thank you Jables, and the rest of the team who are working on this.
  18. tatsujb

@squishy yeah but it would be even better if we could turn them off and on from main menu.
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

True, would really help make mods more popular- an in game mod manager I mean.
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

[​IMG]