Monday Night Combat comes to Steam!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Ekanaut, December 14, 2010.

1. wakkydude

wakkydude New Member

I'd love to get this game on the PC, but the Unreal engine doesn't work at all on my PC.

Are xbox owners going to get any disadvantages like TF2 got when the class updates came out or are they going to be equal? (I'm talking about content, so things like map editors are fine but I don't want PC-only patches and DLCs.)

PLEASE don't pull a TF2 on this one, Uber!
  2. Lathariel

Lathariel New Member

Since i saw MNC's Quick Look on GiantBomb, i was waiting for a PC (or PSN even) release. So when i saw it on Steam this morning, let's just say it was my fastest purchase.

My question is, can we get a more "precise" ETA on the beta? I'm holding my breath 'till it starts!
  3. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Beta goes live this Thursday December 16th
  4. joslouni

joslouni New Member

To the people panicking about fear that this game will "pull a TF2" and that the Xbox version will be ignored, like TF2 ended up being left behind on the 360:
    What you have to understand, is that TF2 was designed as a PC game first, and it was designed with all that flexibility in mind. The reason the PC version has changed so much, is because Valve has the flexibility, with their Steam system, to make as many changes to the game as they want, when they want.

The 360 version of TF2 is different. Every little change they might want to make would require extensive certification and approval by Microsoft. TF2 has had well over a hundred significant updates deployed. No game on 360 has ever had more than a handful. It would simply take too long to go through certification.

All that, and the 360 itself, and it's online framework, simply isn't flexible enough, to let the 360 version of TF2 do the things the PC version does. It's not that Valve "left behind" the 360 version. They just didn't have a choice to keep it in line with the PC version. Same goes for the PS3 version, which was totally out of their hands.

So, it's not a concern of being left behind, because the developer doesn't care about that playerbase. It's a question of, can they actually do what they want to, on Xbox Live?

Seeing as how this game was designed for 360 first, with the 360 and Xbox Live's limitations in mind, the exact opposite of TF2, I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

The beta starts on the 16th, this Thursday, and anyone who has preordered will be in automatically. Can you hold your breath for two days? :shock:
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I have been looking into PC gaming for quite some time now and not knowing a thing about it makes it even harder. You can talk to 3 different people and they will tell you 3 different things leaving me thinking "Ok. Where's the real answers?" Surely there has to be a simple way to buy a non-expensive Gaming rig. Even something as simple as brands becomes so complicated.

I ******* love Uber & MNC and I want to keep playing it for as long as I can and if the PC community becomes the "it" community I would like to be apart of it. The thought of online becoming desolate for XBox is kind of a sad one.
  6. Lathariel

Lathariel New Member

Thank you for the quick reply kind sir.

I will, or die trying!
  7. joslouni

joslouni New Member

That is inevitably going to happen, regardless. Someday, after the Xbox 360 has long since been replaced by it's own successor (or perhaps it's successor's successor), Microsoft is inevitably going to shut down the 360 component of Xbox Live, just like they shut down the Xbox 1 component of Live earlier this year.

Online play on consoles is always going to be impermanent. However, with independent, user-run server support, a PC game can keep it's online play going forever. People still play Quake 3 online, and it's 11 years old. With user-run servers, you will always have the option of being able to set up a game with your friends. On a console, you are at the mercy of how long they keep the servers running, and once they do, it won't matter if you can arrange a time for your friends to play or not, you'll be out of luck.

If you're hoping for longevity, then the PC version should really be what you're looking into.
  8. Einarath

Einarath New Member

Well since it comes out on Thursday, I guess I'll buy it and give it a try. I'm not sure my lappy will be able to run it, but it could be interesting.

Besides, if I don't, I'll be one of the few people left still playing it on the 360 in a few months. :(
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Judging by the poll about switching on the 360 general forum, there should be plenty of people sticking around there
  10. XShadowStormX

XShadowStormX New Member

This will be a great place for you Dead to start your PC switch up. Plenty of help and good advice to get you going :)
  11. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Thing is, when you gather as much knowledge as to be able to piece together your own PC, you also tend to pick up biases based on their experience of what works and or is better. Which is why 3 different people will give you three different answers.

But learning to build your own PC is not as hard as most make it out to be, and you always get the most bang for your buck. Great skill to have.

PC gaming is not as daunting as some make it out to be. You don't need corei7s and SSDs to enjoy PC games.
  12. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Assembling electronics aren't hard. I used to have a manufacturing job where all I did was put components together. The hard part is figuring out what parts to buy and from where. lol
  13. faits

faits New Member

Putting a pc together is incredibly easy.

Just for the heck of it I threw some components into a newegg shopping cart that exceeded the mnc suggested specs. The price tag? $250. (of course that doesn't include the OS or a monitor, assuming you need both of those)
  14. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Yeah, I'm not really understanding the dedicated console players here about their trepidation over this game being on PC.
  15. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

16. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Newegg is usually your best bet, they usually have free shipping on most of their components and no tax. Tiger Direct will charge you tax since you are in Florida. What parts to buy always depends on your budget. But AMD CPU and ATI GFX Cards are the way to go for people on budgets. Intel and Nvidia give you raw power, but you have to pay alot more.
  17. Sven Viking

Sven Viking New Member

Any chance of a 4-pack? I was thinking of sending out some early Christmas presents.
  18. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

how many hours until beta? its the 16th for me..gimme now? :D
  19. generic125

generic125 New Member

American 16th is 5:00 AM Melbourne time i belive, so wait till then
  20. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

i thought it was pm? and im non daylight savings