Modular Units

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by dogyaut, November 7, 2013.

?

Would you like a modular unit design in PA?

1. Yes

37.7%
  2. No

62.3%
  1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Every aspect of a unit has its own benefit, its own synergies, and its own play style. The combined benefits of multiple packages are not linear, they're not one-to-one, and they're not created equal. This idea is dumb.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I decided I would try to mod it because, in the end what I thought when this same thought occurred to me, is that you will probably have to make all the units individually anyway, so you will probably need to balance them differently based on combinations.

I plan on any of my mods to have individual balance adjustments amongst the units depending on combonation.

Like having double barrel high damage guns, might not literally have double the rate of fire if it doesn't make sense. They might fire "mammoth tank" style, where isn't the total rate only 1.5x more?
  3. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

In supreme commander 1 you could add modules to your commanders and sub-commanders depending on your preference. A similar system could be used for a mod.
  4. thetrophysystem

Is the idea, except for every unit.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

And you know, less clunky and time-consuming. RCIX and I currently have a 4-click system planned; first click on the "design unit" button, or press the hotkey, select a unit chassis, select a module (or possibly modules, depending on the way it's done), and press "commit to memory". Now you can produce that unit at the appropriate factories.
    cmdandy likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

That's a lot more streamlined than my idea was. I have my own idea to it though. If I don't decide to work on someone else's for them and then make a campaign for it.

Actually, my idea was for players to start off with the "fabricator" commander with fabrication technology (those modules). Every other type of module would require a somewhat expensive commander to fabricate (puts a money dedication into a type of tech, as well as a type of sniping). There is a chain between building units and technology subcommander and modules and such. I just knew the basics were that I had planned in mine, was that there would be several types of modules and a cost to enter that tech in order to put dedication into which one you got and strategy into not simply getting all at once from start.

I was definitely focused on making a campaign though, and we have some modular mods planned already so the campaign might be what I go to instead.
  7. halander1

halander1 Member

Damn dat strategy, basically research for winning in PA, i approve. So if your opponent goes one way you have multiple ways to counter and try and attack back, all while trying to claim territory to get resources to win.
  8. thetrophysystem

Basically the way I wanted it, is for it to be at least a t2 investment for each type of modular.
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

We designed the system with multiplayer in mind, though both RCIX and I have played Warzone 2100 religiously, so we'll also be taking a lot of inspiration from that when it comes to the metagame (finding new module and chassis blueprints on planets in Galactic War and Campaigns, and doing research on them outside of the actual game).
    cmdandy likes this.
  10. thetrophysystem

I was honestly going to stay clear of 2100 actually. Yet, the idea of a munitions warehouse or munitions fabricator being attached to the factory or close by the factory sounds like a very streamlined process. I might consider that instead.

I was going to go for, inb4flame, galactic exploration and multiple factions and a cool storyline of some kind. I have so many ideas for that much of it already, just the gameplay is still ever changing.

I might touch up my thread in the mods section, I pretty much need to change all of it, but after that I need to link it in my sig lol. Again, maybe we can work on each others, I would love to work on yours as mine might not ever reach the finished state.
  11. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I literally can't wait for this mod. Warzone is up there in my all time favourite games!
    Good luck dude.
    thetrophysystem likes this.