Mods on the Ladder

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by lokiCML, June 16, 2016.

?

Mods on the ladder?

1. YES

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Mods are part of the game

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the topic is about mods in ladder ..
    play with whatever mods you like in a custom game .. but to me players should not use mods in ladder in an act of fairness .. and that is speaking about mods that give players a significant advantage be it intell or reducing actions required f.e.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I just saw this answer.

This is the most technically correct answer on the entire thread.

good lad.
    river39 likes this.
  3. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I can see that you don't want mods on the ladder but for all intensive purposes Uber designed that way if not they would've not allowed the mods to be on it.;)
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. river39

river39 Active Member

Mods are there to make playing the game more easy and intuitief so you can focus on what is important your strategy! And no you don't have a bigger advantage since everyone is able to download the mods and they don't make you a better player.
  5. MrTBSC

that´s like saying anyone who has a gun (yea i know bit stretchy) has no a advantage because anyone can buy one ... but what about those who don´t want to? adapt or, die?
  6. river39

river39 Active Member

A gun is like giving someone a extra unit in game while the client mods only change how you view and interact with the game or world so i think its a bad example
  7. MrTBSC

a gun has more range and is precice at range than a fist
    ubermap lets you see much more than just PiP

also
  8. river39

river39 Active Member

i don't know about you but my fist goes exactly where i tell it to go?? :p
  9. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

This is much ado about nothing. Pick your argument below:

[insert mod here] is overrated, at least as far as usefulness.

You can make it to uber without mods.

Mods do not change the fundamental structure of gameplay.

Fairs are a place where they judge pigs. All is fair in love and war, and this is war! :p

Mods are public and free for all.

Do we win money or something by being good at the ladder? Why so serious?
    Last edited: June 23, 2016
    river39 likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

interest of people actualy playing ladder ... and that is rather low if you ask me ..
    and for the longest time because of commrecliam and because of nonregulated mods i lost interest in playing ladder
    .. and for the most part against others ..

sucks to be me i know ..
  11. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

Interest of people playing the ladder has waned for many reasons. The biggest reason is the ladder isn't fun. Reasons it isn't fun:

Repetitive gameplay and maps
    Poor matchmaking
    Wait times
    Its work to get good at the ladder
    Its impersonal
    Its not transparent
    Stagnate metas
    Last edited: June 24, 2016
  12. river39

river39 Active Member

I agree with corgi with all but "Its work to get good at the ladder". and mods are definitely not the reason.
    I my self only use 3 client mods. 1 to put all my factories on continuous build, 2 to remove combat faber from combat units and 3 soft landing. and yes they save me a couple millisecondes here and there. but its nothing that someone can't workaround if they play beter then me.
  13. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

I mean "work" in the sense of having to review games. Studying and copy builds and strategies. Not everyone who plays the ladder is going to want to put in the "work" to win. And if you keep losing bc you build 35 air fabs to start every game your gonna end up hating the ladder as well.
  14. river39

river39 Active Member

yeah but that is part of any game, and the goal off the lader is that you fin opponents from your own skill level. that this doesn't work atm because there are to few people playing doesn't change that. so if you work yes you get beter but it shoundn't ruwen the fun.
  15. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

Eh our difference is semantics. Work is an activity, while generally viewed as labor, it doesn't prelude that activity from being fun. One person's fun activity can be excruciating for another person. Again purely semantic difference. :p

How is it work:

River, after you lose a ranked game I am sure you review the game to see how you could improve. I call that work. Your putting in an effort to get a better result... a win :).
  16. river39

river39 Active Member

What i'm saying is that to enjoy ranked you don't need to put in that work. you will just keep playing at the same skill level. :p
    Corgiarmy likes this.
  17. MrTBSC

-repetitive gameplay - stagnant metas-
    sooner or later that will generaly happen, but i say commreclaim may cause this aswell
    the other issues i have is that too many planets have too much resoureces to allow for different streategies
    and concidering that hornets and grenadiers aren´t useful due to running into enemyrange when they shouldn´t ..

- poor matchmaking - waittimes - rather because of lack of players

- it´s work to get good at ladder - Its not transparent -

.. i don´t know any game where that ain´t the case with doing work, otherwise matter of the ratingsystem and how much data it offers ...
  18. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

All of those reason, I stated, are old complaint. They were the same complaints I heard, when more people played ranked, almost two years ago when the original game was released (bugs were a major problem as well).

I seriously doubt someone would say "I'm not playing ranked because my opponent may or may not have a mod that may give them a tiny advantage, but even though I could get said mod, I'd rather just give up."

Edit: my arguement is people don't play ranked bc it is not fun. If it was fun, more people would play.
    Last edited: June 24, 2016
  19. MrTBSC

rather

and
    I'm not playing ranked because my opponents may or may not have a mod that may give them a tiny advantage, and i refuse to use such mods on ladder.
  20. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

You can use that argument to not play on the ladder, but its petty at best. If you enjoyed playing PA in a competitive 1v1 environment, you would play regardless of mods.

Why is it petty?
    Is there a link to absolute even competitive balance and enjoyment of playing a game? I don't think so. You think being 7 foot tall doesn't give the player an advantage in basketball over someone 5 foot 7 inches? But, someone who is 5 foot 7 inches can still have fun playing basketball or even achieving the highest levels of play.

Also the last line "i refuse to use such mods on ladder," lol. That is fine don't use them, but don't blame them as a reason not to play.
    river39 likes this.