Modding Tools

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by CrancK, January 7, 2011.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Just relax. It's not the end of the world.

Programming takes time, and can never be properly predicted - it's a form of research. If you knew precisely how long someone would take to make, it'd be solely because you've made it before. If you've made it before, then just use that instead!

If March rolls around and there's no sight of tools, then get concerned. Until then, chill.
  2. rustyangel

rustyangel New Member

I myself am eagerly anticipating the Kit, but i understand that bugs and balance come first.

If your interested in learning the UDK, you can download the generic engine from here
    http://www.udk.com/download.html

as well as download an EXCELLENT set of video tutorials, here
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

Already using the Generic editor to layout my BSP's and creating some
    custom static meshes in 3DSMAX.

(Note that the video tutorials are a bit older than the current version of UDK,
    some of the maps he says to open during the videos wont be there, just open any
    of the generic ones and follow along as best you can. Some features and
    buttons may be a little diffrent as well, but for the most part does an excellent
    job of getting you familiar with the editor, layout, interface and editing)
  3. CrancK

CrancK New Member

already have the udk, and without at least some basic classnames which i can extend (and/or some variablenames inside of that class) i can hardly mod anything, even with UDK
    (btw, im no mapper, i are coder)

all i want is confirmation that the editor will,
    A: arrive, at some point
    (of this point i'm failrly sure they'll come through, since it said so on the steam buy page)

B: that it will be able to compile .uc and/or batchexport, and/or that Uber gives out a scriptsource,
    Of that last part, i'm not so sure, since i haven't seen that being said even once, and every time i've asked so far, i've gotten no reply (which for some other developers means NO, so i simply want to be sure that isn't the case here)
  4. CrancK

CrancK New Member

tu-ra-lu-ra-lurah!

still no word about nothing? :(

BTW, i'd also take a NO as a valid awnser, i just want to know if there will EVER be a script-source or anything for modding (not mapping), i just want to know.... :(

PLZPLZPLZ``PLZ````````PLZPLZPLZ````PLZPLZ```PLZPLZPLZ``PLZPLZPLZ```PLZPLZ`
    PLZ```PLZ``PLZ````````PLZ````````PLZ```PLZ``PLZ````````PLZ```````PLZ```PLZ
    PLZ```PLZ``PLZ````````PLZPLZ`````PLZ```PLZ``PLZPLZPLZ``PLZPLZ`````````PLZ`
    PLZPLZPLZ``PLZ````````PLZPLZ`````PLZPLZPLZ````````PLZ``PLZPLZ````````PLZ``
    PLZ````````PLZ````````PLZ````````PLZ```PLZ````````PLZ``PLZ````````````````
    PLZ````````PLZPLZPLZ``PLZPLZPLZ``PLZ```PLZ``PLZPLZPLZ``PLZPLZPLZ`````PLZ``
  5. CrancK

CrancK New Member

6. BulletMagnet

I don't know about you guys, but I think that BulletMagnet has it right.
  7. CrancK

CrancK New Member

again... i'm not asking for WHEN... i'm asking IF...

(and yes, no modding tools would be the end for this game for me, so it'd be usefull to know wether i'm wasting my time waiting, or not...)
  8. BulletMagnet

Uber has said they will. I'm operating under the assumption that they're good to their word - they have certainly been so far.

Just go play another game for a fortnight if you're that impatient.
  9. CrancK

CrancK New Member

now, not that i don't want to trust you when you say that.... but have a link to where they say that? (because obviously a (for me) random person claiming they said so is not enough)

edit: found one by Eka, but it's somewhat unclear about it, since he basically says we'll have a dk, which is not what i'm after (well, partly, but it's only for the graphical side of stuff) (unless the dk will also be able to batchexport & compile, but since there's nothing said about that... i dunno)

i'll keep searching... (pfff... 29 pages in the search and only 1 post saying anything about modding...)

edit: found another post saying to use the udn/udk... still not usefull since it doesn't work with mnc...
  10. AnnonAshera

AnnonAshera New Member

Hopefully they are on their way.

Would love a version of the udk/ueditor3, much more than say, a corny valentines day video, imo...
  11. CrancK

CrancK New Member

ye, me too, but media stuff brings in more people, while mods and such apparently don't, seeing as it's already the 19th and still nothing not even a word about it, and lots of patches have already come and gone...
  12. BulletMagnet

Ten days 'til March and there hasn't been much news. I'm getting slightly concerned now.
  13. CrancK

CrancK New Member

in these 2 months i could've already made soo much, admin stuff, voting stuff, expanding stuff, new gamemodes, hell i could've prolly even made the reserved slots thingy some people want so much... but no.... not even as much as reply or word about what to come/or not....

(I so wish steam wasn't an online sales thingy, cos then if someone sold me something with the promise of delivering goods... they'd actually have to deliver on the time the "contract" said.... or at least keep the "employer" informed about it.....)

Come on... gimme tools man

(bleh... just ranting here.... but at least people will get the point that i REALLY want the modtools/news on the matter)
  14. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Devs are being nice so far. They take a long time to work on things, their staff is amazing but still small. Still, things that they will do once manpower allows:

-Release a pack of modding tools, textures and models, data files, ect.
    -Move tested and approved steam changes to xbox.
    -Release new content.

They shouldn't stop doing fun holiday things and videos in leau of work, that is fun for nobody. I'd rather then continue making things good for everyone.
  15. CrancK

CrancK New Member

march time, no tools yet :roll: , no info yet :?

me sad :cry:
  16. Solipcyst

Solipcyst New Member

Damn. Really thought this company was going to promote the longevity of this game. They seem to be very active in reading and responding to posts here from their community, but this one has completely fallen to the wayside. They are clearly aware of it, yet they carefully choose to avoid participating. Can't bode well.

Maybe they are fearful of responding because they're still new to the field as a company, and their lawyer(s) are advising them to be tight-lipped less they accidentally make empty promises. Even if that was the case, though, it would only be an issue if development of an SDK was proving very difficult for them.

So much to speculate on with no official word to console us. I fear that soon enough the 5 maps available will prove too repetitive and that speculation will taper off alongside with the active player-base.

EDIT: On a side-note, just by comparing the post-counts between the 360 forums and the PC forums, I would say it's pretty clear that Uber knows where their community resides, and that said community has no precedent of expecting much in the way of mods. Yet another game where PC players get the leftovers.
  17. Quimbo

Quimbo New Member

I still have hopes but the lack of informations about the SDK is starting to worry me too...
  18. Runie

Runie New Member

I've been chatting with ekanaut and he said they have some stuff for PAX. So I'd expect it'd be news on this.
  19. CrancK

CrancK New Member

or just more skins...
  20. Runie

Runie New Member

Quit being so pessimistic. It's hard work to make this kind of stuff.