Mod Market

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 23, 2015.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Having an official mod manager would be great. Having paid-for content in it though, would likely cause more harm than good. Any benefit (which would be small IMO) would be overshadowed by the massive admin required, various legal issues, negative view in general towards paid-for mod content and splitting of the player base, and that's before you even consider the issue of keeping paid-for content exclusive to those who have paid for it (an impossible task, without massive compromises).

I would much rather Uber spend their time more wisely - after all, there's nothing stopping a modder asking for donations or even setting up their own paywall to their mod if they so choose.

There are countless mods available for countless games. To try and claim as fact that only a tiny amount of the ones available, that you happen to have played, that in your opinion are good, are worth paying for is pretty hard to understand.

To add to this list:
    • Total Annihilation unofficial patch
    • DOTA
    • Black Mesa
    • DayZ
    • Complex Mod (Homeworld 2)
    • Team Fortress (Quake)
    Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, or I've played. 3 of the top 4, and 6 of the top 10 most-played games on steam are derived from mods.
    stuart98, Nicb1, trialq and 1 other person like this.
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

PA has no offline DRM. It has a credential protected licensing system which grants access to the official servers, but that's it.

Even right now, you could just play with a server mod which grants you access to all commanders, even on the official servers.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

who are you and what have you done with raevn?!
  4. tatsujb

well if Uber can accept that then so can it's modders. online DRM-only (no DRM for offline) for mods it is.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

And that won't work either. Not without stripping the user base from the established feature of being able to run arbitrary scripts inside Uberent hosted games.

Listen, once the infrastructure has been opened, there is no way of going back to more restrictive approaches. Uber has decided to provide both dedicated servers AND running arbitrary mods on their infrastructure without any code signing, only protected by the JS sandbox. It is no longer possible to enforce DRM for any type of mods which accesses only the API.

Only exception are full conversion mods which are shipped as entirely new games, independent from the PA eco system and incompatible due to forced API mismatches.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Ha! Your post to like ratio is imperfect!!!
    stuart98 and Raevn like this.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Well I'll just have to fix that ;)
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. tatsujb

that's a shame. the mod market was Uber's idea, not mine.

I still want it. what to do?
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Before PA could correctly profit from a mod market like that it would need a substantial increase of players. Only above a pretty high level of active players will the positive effects of it outweigh the additional costs that raevn is talking about.
    lokiCML and cwarner7264 like this.
  10. tatsujb

you're talking crazy talk, we can't have that on this forum. let's be rational, now common. :p
  11. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

No
    No raevn you didn´t understood what I said. I wasn´t claiming that those i mentioned, that I consider good examples that deserve that kind of treatment just to show him how false his statement was.
    The thing that you try to show me is exactly what I tried with him. There are counless mods for countless games, that´s why I said and the list goes on:p
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Wait what? I was agreeing with you :p (I was responding to theseeker2)
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Aaaaah sorry I got missleaded:p
  14. tatsujb

having him blocked causes confusions.

I just click "show ignored content" as soon as I see someone seemingly attacking me for no reason and not even adressing things I said, and then sure enough, there he was, right after my post.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Then they don't get to play the mod. Simple as that.
  16. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I don't think you understood, most people would rather just not play it, as in, they'd choose not to.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No I understood, that's what I said, if they don't think it's worth money, and the person or people who did the work do... Then they don't get to play it.

Just like anything else being sold.

Edit: For the record I don't think anything I've done is worth money, but I believe many mods are worth money.
  18. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Charging for mods. Do you want the community to shrink by 75 percent. Look at evolve and how mad people are with all the DLCs.
  19. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

They're only mad because its a day 1 DLC.

PA would do amazing with a paid DLC now.
  20. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

no, I get pissed off whenever I pay for a game and then they want me to pay up later for more content - if they wanted more money, they should have put it in the original pricetag.
    Last edited: February 24, 2015