Mod ideas

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by trialq, January 28, 2014.

1. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

You mean the standard ground commander attack ?
    Like small balls or short lasers, depending on the commander type ?

I didn't venture in modifying ammo types or effects, I'd rather keep my mods as stock as possible (except for the coloring, obviously :p ). Also, as I understand it, it would requires to be a server mod, which is less convenient.

But I imagine it is possible to scale down the uber cannon effect, and even remove some parts of it, if you wanna try ;)
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Just the primary fire.

Commander primaries are already split up into uber cannon, uber laser, and uber missile. All you'd have to do is alter the trail specified in the uber cannon ammo file. This would just be a client side mod.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Manual Spawns

Last I was hacking on it (some time ago), the server sent the spawn locations to the UI, which passed them on to the engine. Assuming spawns are checked on the server, you'd have to use spawn-anywhere. Even though it's all client, it would probably have to be a server mod to ensure everyone was using it.

Discussion on getting planet locations

If the system editor isn't amenable to storing additional data, it may be necessary have a look-aside table for spawn locations. If we can't convince the server to share spawns as part of the planet info, there will also be the issue of distributing spawn information.

Customizing the server mode code for each system would be a brute force solution, but might work for small competitive map pools.
    Last edited: December 5, 2014
  4. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

5. wondible

Last Used System List

Reorder the Load System screen based on the more recently used systems.
  6. silentlife

silentlife New Member

Disable Fabricator selection on shift+left click drag selection of units.

Give the player the option to prevent the player from selecting fabricators when holding shift to drag-select units (Holding shift to drag-select one group of units, then drag-select another.)

Energy off/on indicator icon

Add a small icon indicating whether a unit has energy usage toggled on/off up close and from a distance

Example:
    Energy off/on in Planetary Annihilation is sort of like a hybridization of "Toggle ability" and "pause/unpause build queue" from Supreme Commander in that it can be used to effectively pause ANY energy demanding task, including build queues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
  7. wondible

Server Browser NvN

ViolentMind likes this.
  8. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Linked Teleporter View Swap

It would also be a nice add-on feature to this to be able to double-click on a teleporter, and have your view switch to the teleporter that is linked to the one you double-clicked. This would make it much easier to manage the units that you were sending to the other end, especially if there were enemy units there, and you had to act quickly.
  9. ViolentMind

Server Browser Sort

I'm not sure why Uber has not made the multiplayer server browser sortable by column. I'm thinking that it would be easy to sort by the column in ascending or descending order by clicking on the column header. A little triangle, or arrow could be added to show which sort method was being used as well. Seems like a basic feature that could be added quickly.
    upload_2014-10-10_23-21-8.png

Locked Game Filter option

It would be nice to be able to filter out the Locked/Password protected games from the multiplayer server browser list. No need to see them in the list, if you can't join any of them.

Relative Planet Sizes

Show the relative planet sizes in the server browser, similar to how they appear on the PA Stats page for that game (pictured below), only using a smaller scaled version of each, and arranging them in a horizontal line to fit in the game browser/lobby screen better. This could also be done in the game lobby as well.
    upload_2014-10-10_23-11-50.png
    Last edited: October 11, 2014
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  10. wondible

Realized I've been keeping a bunch of server balance mods in the very inefficient storage of my head.

Base Expansion

Having most structures able to build structures, and making mobile fabbers really expensive.

Powerless

Remove all energy from fabbing. Possibly make power plants more expensive for the few things that still need it.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/powerless.68364/

Fixed Income

Remove power generators, and give commander a fixed power income - once you reach capacity, you'll have to start make touch choices about what to prioritize.

Junkyard wars

Limited or no metal extractors, big wreckage, all features reclaimable. I want metal storage to be important, so I can't just give the commander a huge starting amount. So either have to rely on reclaiming features, possibly make metal spots big reclaim items, or expect people to reclaim their commander for starting metal.

EDIT: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-server-meta-planetary-reclamation.65815/
    Last edited: March 23, 2015
    proeleert likes this.
  11. ViolentMind

Experimental Commanders server mod

I think it might be cool to work up a mod to use huge "Experimental" sized commanders instead of the "puny" ones in the game now. Think Supreme Commander with only 1 King Kriptor or Galactic Colossus commander running around. Hell, you could probably even work in some sort of Quad based Monkey Lord, Cybranasaurus, or Air based Soul Ripper (Kestrel variant), or Tank based Fatboy! A variation on that would be to use the Human Resources Harbingers as the commanders as well. Maybe Uber would be willing to contribute some artwork from that effort?

In terms of weaponry, it might be easy to just give them 2 of every weapon, including the Uber Cannon. That's just to keep things simple. Maybe doubling their hit points as well to go with the increase in size? And upping their income, storage capacity, and build power would also make sense.

Another thing to think about is that due to their size, they might be limited to just the planets that they start on.
  12. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

First of all I must say God bless modding and all modders out there, I really appreciate your work. Mods have made the game much more enjoyable for me.

I've been using Awesome Projectiles, cola_colin's 0.3x unit rescale mod and unlocked planet sizes and the game is much better in my experience, the scale is there finally. Playing on huge planets makes orbital much more meaningful in the game for scouting and retaining situational awareness. Which brings me to the question that is it possible to have a mod/keyboard shortcut that shows all radar coverage from all radars and satellites, to show where you might have blind spots and so on?
  13. ViolentMind

Doesn't the CTRL key show you what your radar coverage is? Of course, you would have to select all of your radar units around the planet first, but I think that would do it for you.
  14. wondible

Select Radar

Fr33Lancer likes this.
  15. wondible

Last edited: February 23, 2015
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  16. wondible

Lobby Map Preview

Except I think you could actually do a system preview with javascript, although it might take some math to reconstruct the orbits.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i just want a jpeg, something simple that doesn't take a lot of diskspace, specially since it's be part of the system save files so it will have to go over the net when you share it.

the idea is not having to wait extra time in lobby just for one gimmik
  18. wondible

Blips in the Dark

Units have very small (bomb-bot like) vision, and radar to their current sight. Only scout and recon units provide sizable vision.

Edit: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-blips-in-the-dark.65856/

Shots in the Dark

Taking that to the logical extreme, units have only tiny vision, and scout/recon provides only limited radar.
    Last edited: December 1, 2014
  19. wondible

Squad Combat

Server-script mod that creates a bunch of non-builder units instead of a commander. Something like server-script/modroot/squad.json would be overridable by host server mods for different configurations. For even more fun, add a player message to set the squad config so a client mod could provide an interactive interface.
  20. wondible

Rare Metal Generators

Energy generators require metal spots. May involve a output buff, we'll have to see.

Spot options: there is a small amount of generality in 'spots'; metal spots have an (apparently) unused feature type 'Reclaimable', it looks like 'Burnable' may have been superseded by the burnable property, and I've not gotten around to testing what happens if you vary the number of control points or put them on non-metal planets. There is a list of feature types in the game, so it's probably not possible to create custom ones. There is both MetalSpot/Metal_Spot and ControlPoint/Control_Point, but I'm assuming those are merged down in code. Lots of room for experimentation.