Mod icons, anyone want to make them?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by trialq, March 5, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Well, these things always boils down to being a personal preference. I also don't like it when people use heavily animated avatars or signatures. I use Opera's content blocker on those. :)

But like @LavaSnake said, it looks pretty neat as a static pic in PAMM too. The edit caret shows nicely that you can edit. And actually, the animation you made does look pretty nice. My criticism was more that I just fear it may become too much if most of the icons are animated in PAMM. Additionally, some of those will probably not be as aesthetically pleasing as yours.
    betarenamer.jpg

I suppose I can enable animated gifs in PAMM for Linux/Mac and make it an option... Meh, I'll see. :)
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I did try to be careful to avoid making it too flashy, but I understand (and share) your concern that PAMM icons could end up looking too much like a popup ad or times square.
    [​IMG]

I think we should just deal with that problem if it ever comes up. For now, I don't think we have any modders that are that desperate for attention. My reason for animating it was to get the point of the mod across, but just that first frame might actually be good enough.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Exactly!

Fair enough. I'll look into enabling animations then for PAMM for Linux/Mac too though. If only for the sake of feature compatibility with PAMM for Windows if you do decide to go static. :)
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow good work! I had no idea gifs were authorized! if I did I think I might have come up with something similar.

any one else need icons?
  5. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Basicly all of @raevn 's mods need them.
  6. tatsujb

which ones specifically?
    I'm not going to make icons if they aren't wanted or needed.
  7. LavaSnake

Unit database really deserves a nice icon and it would be nice to have one for all the frameworks that he's made. Armoury preview also could use one.
  8. tatsujb

9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'm good, icon wise. Have plans but just been too busy of late. But I'll get there :)
  10. LavaSnake

ok, glad to hear that those great mods are getting icons.
  11. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I need an icon for Better Build Bars
  12. tatsujb

God damn! I can't believe I missed you the first time!
    I'm so sorry!

Is this good? if any problems I can remake. 8.png
  13. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

It's good but I feel there is too much unused space and I cannot tell what is in the bar above BBB, maybe make that bigger to fill the space?
  14. tatsujb

on it.
  15. tatsujb

8.png tell me if it's still not good enough.
  16. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

First: I am sorry I am being so picky I know you are only doing this because I asked and I am very thankful

Okay, now that I know what is above BBB, could you redo that without hotbuild on? and center it in the empty space (like center it between the top of BBB and the top of the image)
  17. tatsujb

sure. don't worry about it.

just wanna warn you about one thing: we're fighting for pixels here and I chose that purple-ish background for a reason. because the icons are grey. and when you're fighting for pixels color is your ally, this is why hotbuild helps decode what's going on here.
    but I'll give it a try without.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'd suggest that including "BBB" (or mod names in general) isn't really important in an icon (the icon appears right next to the mod name in PAMM). With the BBB gone, you have more room to show what the mod actually does :). Maybe have the 4 different styled build bars on top of each other?
  19. tatsujb

8.png I can still do better.
    Notice I didn't do It on the other icons where the concept I was trying to comunicate wasn't as abstract

here it is about a bar.

At this size stack three bars and you have a tic tac toe grid.

I have no choice but to use a third of the space height-wise. Might as well make something of it.
  20. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

bcause I simply hate asking people to do things for me I will ask you for the last time this time, can you try something along the lines of what raevn said? then I will pick the best one and put it on PAMM