Misnomers in PA (pls fix if possible, Uber)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, January 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Exactly! So metal planets should have no metal. Iron ore deposits scattered randomly on an artificial planet don't make sense. A real metal planet would be full of mexes: it would be entirely green. A huge green blob.

And since PA "metal planets" are not huge green blobs, they are not metal planets. They are artificial planets that contain a dormant superweapon.
  2. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

You so far have ignored everyone that has disagreed with you and cannot accept anyone that does not have enough "posts" or "likes". Going out of your way to ignore anything vaild is counterproductive to the community.
  3. Mogzai

Mogzai New Member

Icy, this is a fictional game where robots blow stuff up on a galactic scale and there are super weapons that destroy other planets with massive lasers. Not everything has to make sense.
    cptconundrum and Nicb1 like this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You have heard of such a thing as segregation of gameplay and logic right?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  5. icycalm

So now y'all have given up trying to "prove" me "wrong" with "facts", "logic" and "arguments", and are trying to tell me that nonsense is better than stuff that makes sense.

Which brings us back to what I said on the Exodus stream the other day :)
  6. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

it could also make sense that these robots have scanned and determined certain safe places to mine for metal on a metal planet... anyway its better to have more options for maps then to have less xD balance wise sure its better to no metal on a lazer planet but let people have fun and make systems and such, logically huge engines on planets shouldn't move a planet... or metal be able to be transported via thin air anywhere to create units...
    icycalm and stuart98 like this.
  7. Mogzai

Mogzai New Member

Are you say that your opinion is fact? Wouldn't that inter that your argument contradicts itself?
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Kinda what happens when you construe doing so as trolling.
  9. icycalm

I don't care about the metal spots. It would be better not to have any on an artificial planet, both mechanically and aesthetically (which can already be done when designing your own system), but in this thread I only care about the name.
  10. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

ah I see, while sure at one point in the last phase of polish this might become a good thing to change, atm all the names get the main points across and other things are preferable to have a focus set on it, not to mention who knows how much code would have to be changed to do the name changes and make sure every line was changed without breaking other segments...
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. icycalm

I don't care when the changes are made. I only wanted to point out that they should be made. And now Uber knows about them, so I am fine with that.
  12. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

You're acting as if they're going to do them in the first place. I doubt that they're ever going to change from what their called now going from the support we have seen in the thread for the idea so far.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Locking this thread temporarily to clean.

Edit: Unlocking now ... tentatively. I shouldn't need to point out this thread: Forum Rules and Guidelines.
    Last edited: January 21, 2015
  14. icycalm

One thing I would like to ask is to not lock threads permanently, when it's not the fault of the thread starter. Otherwise people will troll threads they don't like so that the mods will lock them down. I have no control over what others post in this thread, and I want this thread to remain open FOR EVER, because I intend to keep posting all the misnomers I find in PA in it.

I will be back soon with an update on the OP, where I will incorporate all the new arguments that the posters here have helped me to develop.
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

If there a teams involved then it's a team game. I've NEVER seen ANY game EVER call a game-mode with multiple teams "FFA". Your other two complaints are just semantic nitpicking, especially the third one. It's a planet, and it's made of metal. Metal planet.

If anyone gets confused between a moon and a planet then they're probably going to lose pretty soon anyway.
    websterx01, Murcanic and Nicb1 like this.
  16. icycalm

The term FFA shouldn't be used at all. I don't even see why we need it. There's not even any reason to have a choice between "Team" and "FFA" games. You just have buttons for "Adding a team" or "Adding more slots to a team". Simple as that. As for what other games do, it's immaterial. If something is wrong or creates confusion, the sooner it's fixed the better. And you still haven't addressed the point I made about 2v2v2v2v2s etc. not allowing alliances, just as no one else has addressed this point because it is inconvenient to you. So I will repeat this: the reason you cannot ally in such games is because of shoddy terminology. Fix the terminology, and the problem becomes obvious even to those like yourself who are not very discerning, and it can then be fixed.

All my complaints are semantic nitpicking. See the word "misnomer". And that's what I do all day, I semantically nitpick. It's been practically my job for almost a decade now. Semantic nitpicking is a pejorative only to people who don't like clear communication (which is to say, to most people). If you have a problem with semantic nitpicking perhaps you shouldn't be reading and posting in a thread about misnomers.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread is about.
  17. Geers

Labeling 1v1v1 etc. as FFA is not confusing, because that's what all of modern gaming calls FFA. Uber doesn't have to rebrand anything to add better alliance support. The reason is "they haven't gotten around to it yet", simple as that.

Calling it a misnomer would suggest it generates a significant amount of confusion, or at least has the potential to. It doesn't.

For someone who likes to call out insults you sure do seem to be a fan of the good old fashioned ad hominem.
    Murcanic, tommybananas and stuart98 like this.
  18. icycalm

I've already explained the confusion. Read my OP. And here is another forum user who agrees with me: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/misnomers-in-pa-pls-fix-if-possible-uber.67429/#post-1058854

You are welcome to think that nothing is confusing, but for me and my friends (see OP) and tatsujb it is confusing, and that's why I am asking that it should be fixed.

You are welcome to think that nothing generates confusion, but I have repeatedly shown in the OP and throughout this thread that all these misnomers do, and especially the ones higher on the list, as I've already mentioned in the OP.

I am sorry but all I see in your post is a massive denial of the usefulness of clear communication. Is that an insult? Take it as you will. But we will never see eye to eye because clear communication is extremely important to me, as an art critic, art theorist, and philosopher. But I am of course completely aware that to laymen it is not so important.
  19. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

I think as far as the 2v2v2v2. ... the term your after is 'dynamic' team battles everything else is just nitpicking
    plz stop posting just to get agro from the community as you do with 90 % of your posts...just turns all the threads into bor ing pointless arguments.
  20. Geers

I might be able to have a reasonable discussion with you if you got off your god-damn pedestal for a minute.

I doubt you ever will but let's try anyway.

Yes, Uber could make a distinction between moon biomes and actual moons, but it's really nothing to make a fuss over. The other two are completely subjective. Free-for-all has always meant "you vs everyone else" and changing that will just create more confusion and several threads asking why they got a team match when they entered a FFA lobby.

You're making a huge fuss over nothing and nothing useful will ever come out of this thread.
    Murcanic, tommybananas and stuart98 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.