mini PA engine for fans

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ozonexo3, January 23, 2013.

1. eltro102

eltro102 Member

Have you seen kerbal space program? That uses patched conics + a two-body solution and works more than well enough
  2. holycow1

holycow1 New Member

Looks great =)
    Anyway you can in corporate unit control? I really just want to tell delta commander to kill those tanks!
  3. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

maybe someday, but now i dont have time. For now im searching how to get this to work on mac. Unity cant get mouse scrool input on mac, so propably i need to change this to some buttons, like arrows.
  4. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

After ubers mobile game i decided to do from this PA minigame for mobiles! Android and maybe ios, phones and tablets. "Engine" already work on mobiles. So wait for it :)

[​IMG]

All for free, no inapp or ads. I do not want to earn money on this game, i want this to be some kind of fanart, with link to PA preorder page. I don't want to put this on appstore/google play. App will be available only on uber forums.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Small suggestion: I was working on a similar game in Blender GE before Planetary Annihilation exploded (the game had a focus on space battles instead of sub-atmospheric battles, so I might yet finish it), and I think I found the perfect formula for camera zoom.

Set it so that holding down a key rotates the camera, while holding down the middle mouse button allows you to zoom with your mouse. Up/down mouse wheels can be used for other things, which in my case was scrolling through weapons systems in ships. This makes it so that the player doesn't have to scroll furiously to reach full strategic zoom, and instead has to just hold down a button and move the mouse back. Same goes for viewing detailed things, instead of trying to find the perfect angle at which the scroll-wheel allows for it, they can instead take fine control over camera zoom.

Edit: Also, this may help you out with your Mac issue.
  6. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Using scrool for something else will kill spiryt of strategic zoom. I can change midd button to zommin and out and use space to rotate, and left scrool as it is. In pa there is no other weapons or units settings to change.

For now zooming in work bad, becouse when you zooming, thing that is pointed by mouse cant move. And in this camera is moving and corecting. This feels bad bud i thing uber will know about that,and i dont have time so i dont see much sence to work on that. Now im trying to find nice way of controling it on mobiles and simple and fun gameplay.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Well, on mobiles it will be relatively easy because they have pinch-to-zoom, which is much more powerful than a mouse wheel.
  8. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Not always, its problem to zoom in on a small object and this can be hard to do to feel good
  9. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

Zoomed in on 'Sorian' planet in the galaxy view
    Pressed left arrow on keyboard
    O.O
  10. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

It's a pity unity is still unavailable for linux. I'd love to test some celestial mechanic for "playability". I think even the approximated but still fairly calculated orbits will be better then just some arbitrary curves. And it will open some interesting possibilities in gameplay, like "push the planet into the sun".

It will make the asteroid bombarding more challenging, true, but may be it's not that bad. Asteroids are supposed to be a doomsday weapon, the ultimate solution. It should be difficult to set in motion yet inevitable once it on it's way. The orbit calculating is about it: first we calculate several possible orbits, then we pick one, we say "FIRE!", and then we relax and watch with satisfaction how the asteroid goes to it's destination. KABOOM!!! Long and challenging preparation, faultless and inevitable execution.
  11. Causeless

Causeless Member

Unity has exported to Linux since last year (no web player, yet, though).
  12. pcbino

pcbino New Member

Massive credit for this! It's so amazing!
  13. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Awesomeness
  14. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

just work for uber at this point lol
  15. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

I can't get it running :(

I have downloaded unity, I have loaded the assets then I try to open a scenes but nothing happens

It says: "the references script on this behaviour is missing"

Make a runnable file :D
  16. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Try download unity 3.5.7

I will look in home how is this working in unity 4.1, can be some problems there
  17. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Ok, I am downloading it now :)

Anyway It's amazing that only one person was able to do this and that's even multi-platform. Of course that due to the help of unity.

I have made a post for unity some time ago :) viewtopic.php?f=64&t=44497&hilit=unity
  18. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

Theoretically, yes. But in reality it's still unavailable.
  19. Causeless

Causeless Member

Well, the editor suite, yes, but it still exports Linux games. KSP is on Unity, for example, and is on Windows, Man and Linux.
  20. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

done the same message appears :( could you deploy it to an exectuable? :geek: