mini PA engine for fans

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ozonexo3, January 23, 2013.

1. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

This gets my "Bring me to laugh" award this week. ;)
    Nice Job!

Planet rotation and rotation arround the sun works realy great.

If its possible add a ring of asteroids to the bigg planet.
  2. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

im working on this now :) more planets and some basic of "planetary strategic map" :p update propably today

no, but im thinking about controls for units and rly basic patchfinding. Today is 4th day of working on this, and im doing it only in free time
  3. paschmaster

paschmaster New Member

holy ****, dude!

This is amazing. I really like the zoom between planets and how natural it feels. To anyone familiar with SupCom this feels very true!
  4. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

[​IMG]
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

A game dev company wants gorrilions of dollars and a year to make a game, and ozonexo3 spits out a planet killer as a weekend project. Get back to work, Uber! :lol:

One thing I really liked about the supcom interface was at the mouse zoomed in exactly where it was pointed (zooming out was always "center screen"). It makes the battlefield very fast to traverse. I typically put the mouse to the edge of the screen and quickly zoomed in+out to scroll across a field.

That's a bit more difficult to do that on a round world. But what if you zoomed in at the planets' edge, and instead of directly zooming the camera went more tangentially around the planet? That way you can quickly scroll across the field to see the planet's back side, and get to the action.
  6. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Zoom out Planet 1, click on Planet 2 and zoom in. I think, this would be cool.
  7. syox

syox Member

Great work man!
    That only makes me to say: I WANT PA NOW!

BTW why not use Mouse1 Pressed to chnge the view instead of the arrow keys?
  8. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

soon, im working on that right now, but this is hard to do. Zoom in wil work like in SupCom - camera will rotate and move to where your mause is over, and pressing middle mouse button will rotate camera, same as arrows now

edit:
    [​IMG]

That how strategic map will work in next update
  9. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Awesome=Active

Can you add animated textures for the sun?
    And the sun should have a bit more distance to the planet(+moon)
  10. zachb

zachb Member

eh, I kind of like the shorter distances, it makes everything more noticeable.
  11. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Excellent work Ozone, if you don't already work in game design I hope somebody picks you up soon.

For anyone that doesn't know, this is the guy that made a version of SupCom for smartphones. Just awesome. :)
  12. syox

syox Member

Name?
  13. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Thank you all! It's very nice to know that so many people liked my work :)

but now...
    UPDATE!!!

[​IMG]

- many cool graphics things from kickstarter trailer
    - Concept of simple strategic map
    - Middle mouse button will now rotate camera

still to do:
    - rotate camera when zooming in

I hope that no one will notice, it's an old project, and I have since learned a lot of new things

Im working in a small company that makes mobile games (android, ios, psvita)

Please, dont say such things, uber is making big thing. Im doing only a tiny shell of what real game have. I dont have planet generator, patchfinding, network, anything from core game mechanics

But im also want to ask Uber, is this project helps you in anything? I mean, I focus on controls and receiving game by a player, but if you have this already defined and developed, it would be nice if someone had said me about it ;)
  14. whiskeyninja

whiskeyninja Member

This is awesome. Sort of reminds me of the Total Annihilation unit viewer that got me so pumped back in the 90s. A shadow of what's to come, but very nicely put together!
  15. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

Loving the middle click drag to rotate the planet. My usual method for gross camera movements with the flat map used to be to zoom out, then zoom back into the desired location. Hard to do that on a sphere, but the middle click solves that problem.

Whether intentional or not, this is a fantastic testbed for controls. Keep up the good work!
  16. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

this will fu***** blow your fu***** mind!
    [​IMG]
  17. Biestie

Biestie Member

This is f*cking awsome!

This thing gives a good idea how PA could be.
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Celestials need to cast shadows. ;P

Just saw an army of tanks create a half-dozen eclipses.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What is the point of the blue circle around all planets? Maybe only show it around the currently selected planet? Also make it a bit smaller or dont show it if the player is directly zoomed in above it.
    Strategic symbols should be visible half transparent if they are behind a planet.
    The camera should rotate together with the planet if it is zoomed in closely.
    Also the sun's glow and the symbols are not hidden away by a planet in front of them:

looks weird.

But in general: Awesome work!

Attached Files:

20. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

This makes me smile

Attached Files: