Metacritic user votes?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lokiCML, July 1, 2014.

1. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Why are you assuming I participate in that?

If I knew that the plan of Uber was to release an early access during the kickstater period, I wouldn't gave anything to them.

Kickstarter is the same as an early access. Kickstarter is a donation.
    You give money to people you trust.
    Early access, you buy a product for more money that it worth, with the promise that it may be complete and awesome one day.
    igncom1 likes this.
  2. thepilot

Informations that are wrong given the current state of the game.

Even the website has lies : It doesn't support 40 players, it's not DRM free.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The game does support 40 players the moment the server's are released, which is the same moment any DRM is gone.
    This moment is guaranteed to come basically. So it's completely reasonable to state it as a feature that will be there once Uber considers PA "released".

Any game has a phase where it states features that it will have but has not yet.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Actually that's not true. Kickstarter typically gathers funds before or near the start of development and you typically don't get instant access to the game in it's current state.
  5. thepilot

Same for you : It's up to you to read me or not.
    But it's surely not by saying nothing that a situation that I find outrageous will end.
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

bradaz85 likes this.
  7. cola_colin

I'll try not to read you then.
  8. thepilot

Maybe, maybe not. It's stated as a fact on the website, while it isn't.
  9. thepilot

Sorry, I forgot a "not". "Kickstarter is not the same as an early access" is what I meant :)

For what it worth, you can have nothing back from a kickstarter donation, because it's a donation, not a consumerist act.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  10. DeadStretch

11. cola_colin

I present you a data-set of the first ever played 40 players game:
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=7570
    Start: 28.11.2013 21:05:08

The only issue why we don't have that yet is server load balancing. Which will be a nonissue once the server is released.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

*shrug* I just provide the links bro.
  13. DeadStretch

Oh sorry I wasn't asking you. Just in general.
  14. thepilot

Not really, because they are some projects on the way that will eventually do almost what I've just described.

And for those who think it's not the place on meta-critic for these kind of comments:

We live in a society where people don't care if children die every day 30 foots from where their favorite world-wide-event takes place.
    And it's okay for them as long as they have a nice spectacle, even they know about the corruption around it (football, Olympics, whatever).

And it's the same for about anything you can buy. I'm not okay with that, and if I can make only one people realize it by commenting on the internet when I have the chance, then I did my part.
    And if I annoy people by doing it, I consider that I did my part too. Maybe they will think about it later and slowly change their mind.
    As long as people are not indifferent to something, it's good.

I'm not saying that what Uber does is on that scale, but it's part of the problem. I can't turn my mind off problems just because "it's a game".

Some games developers are unpaid for 2 months.
    Some VFX guys must decided about moving around the globe or lose their work every year.

These are related to the new economy Uber is trying to make. It's not okay to ignore it "because it's not the purpose of metacritic".

I'm not a game developers, I'm a VFX artist. I could work for game industry actually, but it's really an horrible environment. And it's getting worst.

I'm not asking you to be okay with me, but at least you can turn your head away knowing it. Knowledge is always good.

And it has its place on metacritic.
    You critic a product. And the way Uber sales it is not right.
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You do realize Uber were exactly the people you're talking about in this? They were the little guys with no money, look at their financial history! They near went bankrupt multiple times and ended up funding their games with their /own/ money because sales weren't doing well.
  16. thepilot

Yes, I perfectly know that. They should know better. That's why I backed them.
    Sadly, they disappointed me on every level since the early access on steam.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I don't know. All I know is I believe I can trust Uber in that they'll make a great game, and what they've made so far has been amazing for their low budget/the amount of time. I love the concept of early access and I love being apart of the game's development, and honestly there should be nothing wrong with early access, and there really isn't... Again, the real problem lies within the people who are against early access, as there's nothing really morally /wrong/ about it. All it should be is a risk /vs/ reward kind of thing. If you want to take the risk of paying a bit extra (Which by the way keeps people who wouldn't want to buy into an unfinished game away) and want to be apart of the development to see the game through, than by all means: You should be able to go ahead! But to all those buyers who don't want to do so who for no reason despise early access, you should just wait until the game is finished. To each his own, right?
    phantomtom likes this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I have no idea either however, I think Urban Dictionary will be a good friend to you on this one. google "strawman urban"
  19. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

So wait, lemme get this straight:
    You donated to kickstart this game, (knowing full well they'd grant access to alpha and beta to the higher tier kickstarter backers.
    You are also of the belief that early access should be free.

Then why did you donate on the kickstarter to begin with?
  20. thepilot

Ok, I don't really want to write an essay on every aspect of the problem of early access, it would be too long.

But let's be a little stupid and completely hypothetical.

Early Access, are popular with indies.
    AAA games cost more and more to make. Every game is a big risk for the editor.
    They often rely on pre-order to survive.

They are seeing these half-done games (some are even in the prototype stage), selling for an higher price that their own game, and in a short production time.
    They see that people are okay to pay more to play prototype, as long as they may have the full game later.

Juicy. It's just a matter of time before a big editor jumps in and release a big title on early access. Every editor already thought of it, officially or not.
    They probably just wait for the first one to take the risk of doing it.

Now, let's take Lambda game from ItsapityGames.
    It's a rogue-like third person tower defense MOBA RTS.

It's release by a big editor, under another name to cover themselves. (like they did back when nintendo was only allowing some title every year/editor).
    And it's on early access.

As every rogue-like third person toward defense MOBA RTS that looks indie, it has some success, a strong community of fanboy, and they already covered the production fees during the early stage period.

The game is released. But people already played it for months.
    They already jump in the next indie sensation, a survival zombie sim-city game with some RPG elements.

The big editor watch the player stats on their server, and they realize that it was jumping after every sale, but lowered a lot a few days later, because the game was buggy/unfinished.

So you have a bunch of people who paid a lot to play a little, and are already bored of playing that game when it's actually out. (you know, like watching every trailer/teaser of a hyped movie...)

Thing is, the game was already a financial success 6 months ago, in early access. They even made a lot of money each time they've put it on sales (actually on the retail price).

So for their next game, they decide to do the exact same thing, promise even more : You will be able to play a rogue-like on a spaceship, on thousand planets, procedurally generated with their unique flora.

It's huge, but they already know they don't have to actually do it to make money : People will buy the promise of the game, play some prototype, and will forget about it when it's finally release a few months/years later.

If you think I'm exaggerating, I suggest you take a look on some steam stats of some early access games...

And by the way, big editors looking over early access is happening. They already tried (and probably succeeded) to make money through kickstarter too.
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
    tatsujb likes this.