Metacritic Page

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by stuart98, August 22, 2015.

1. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "again"? When was the first time? I've said in other threads I'm actually all for the $90 EA backers getting a free Titans upgrade, so I'm quite aware of your contention. However, your self-entitled attitude, justified or not, is not a marketing failure for PA:titans, that's an opinion of yours, and as you are not God nor even objective, I find your inferred insult about my ability to grasp things both unwarranted and outright slanderous

See above: SOME angry people =/= marketing failure. If Titans is worth the money, then it's a good game. If it's not a good game, then what is there to be angry about? The only thing to be angry about is if you're not getting the good stuff for free; that is a marketing success.

[Edit: Further thought has led me to this: I AM still aware that people are angry and feel mistreated, and AGAIN, I am supportive of those people in their relative plight; that said, the relative plight is asking for $10 towards 10 months worth of development time on one of the most technically challenging games ever made. This isn't some trivial **** given that more than 2/3rds of that team spent some, if not all, that time working concurrently on PA vanilla to bring that up to scratch, and asking $1 per month of development time is a god damned BARGAIN considering the results and amount of work achieved /end [Edit]

The "large part" is very subjective, and the "tell a large part of your customer base to go **** themselves" is very much your opinion, albeit shared with others. Quite a significantly larger part of their cusotmer base however is going "holy ****, look at all this cool stuff for $10, bargain"

Again, not a marketing failure; $10 expansion pack for every PA owner? Excellent promotion work

I, personally, am not doing any such thing, but if you wish to infer from my disagreeing with your white-wash trash talking that I'm a lost cause? That's again verging in to straight up personal insult territory right there.

I can't even follow who the "you" in that sentence is meant to be, never mind what your point is

Here's some help for you; marketing is not just about existing customers (the vast majority of whom seem happy), but also it's based around NEW customers. And given that PA:Titans is currently top 12 best seller on steam right now, suggest to me quite clearly that Uber's marketing is doing just fine

The EA debate is a separate issue, one of which I openly and genuinely sympathise with, but this doesn't make it a marketing failure nor this great travesty that a vocal few are making out to be.
    Last edited: August 23, 2015
    DalekDan, websterx01, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  2. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Second Class Customer here :D

I was happy with PA, really ecstatic when I saw the update "Titans" on my steam account.

I was like "Wow ! New update! New stuff! Finally the game is getting new stuff! Not just the unit cannon! I hope for experimentals :D" and then I was considered not worthy to get the expansion when I was a early backer but from Steam. Because of this I didn't buy the standalone (yep...) at least not yet.
    You got me once but not twice! I will wait if there are other DLCs (YEAH I AM WAITING FOR THEM NOW E_E I no trust :( ) and continue play PA vanilla / modded while waiting. That's sad when I think about it, it's not about the game (which must be good), or the price... (even if, I would spend like 7 euros instead of 13.. I mean... 13 euros is like 7 to 8 kilos of good organic bananas in France.).
    It's really the way it was handled: free copies for the worthy one and getting the original PA out of the market (like to get rid of some of the players or the original community to build a new one on the ruins of the old one. I am dramatic but I just found it funny :D so don't care about this... But if you want we got pizza in our sewers :( come visit us!). And I am not talking about the time when they "released" PA unfinished :(

Well here, I don't say everybody is unhappy, it seems to be a good DLC but voilà that was my little message :) (I am no hater I exposed my point of view multiple time already and still left with the question "Was it the right thing for Uber to do? and What can they do to fix this except waiting and expect people to get over it?)
    Elate likes this.
  3. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

You see, buying game at any point is supporting development. Why buying it for 90$ is more special than buying for 60$? Or 5$? They all SUPPORTED Uber. Where do we stop with free stuff? Where do we set border? We can't assume all of them are special.

Kickstarter backers are special because its the most obvious reason why PA exist. Only some people backed the idea, only some did it in the right time. We supported game and were on forums talking about design and game way before it was even on Steam. What makes that 20$ more precious than 90$ is the right time. You care more about 5$ when you are starving than about 100$ when you have everything.

And just life is not fair and noone is equal. Deal with it and understand that expansion 10 months in making is worth the 13$.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  4. glexn

glexn New Member

Kind of seems like the EA backers are forgetting what they buy with EA games: Warm, fuzzy (false) feelings about being personally committed/involved/whatever with development. They got those. If people paid $90 dollars for a product and not the fuzzy feelings, then that's obviously poor value for money. Why did you do that, silly?

Disclosure: I bought PA a month or so ago, and happily again pay now, because Total Annihilation + expansions and Supreme Commander + FA cost me a total of $350+ thanks to price gouging Americans. Uber offer an awesome bargain at $63.33.
  5. lordreynolds

lordreynolds New Member

Eh. i give up.
    I'm sorry for titans, and also for UBER. Because this whole thing has essentially murdered their chances at KS and EA.
    Even more so that starting a new KS while people are till up in arms about PA not working properly.
    Somewhere with UBER sits a guy who has zero awareness.

Remember the Deal with it guy from microsoft?

Yeah that did not end well and you should stop using that line because its high octane fuel.

What should ks backers have gotten? A super supreme premium skin pack or some sort of trivial but cool stuff. Everyone pays 13 bucks for Titans if they have PA.
    So no one can complain about one part of the customer base being told they are the choosen ones while all the others are dirt.
    Marketing. Perhaps you might want to learn something about that.

Its about emotion, perception and shutting people like you up early before they get heard. Because you only anger people more and fan the flames.
    Last edited: August 23, 2015
    Elate likes this.
  6. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Everybody got a discount. That was as fair as Uber could go, without losing money. There is nothing more to that. Whatever you call a good marketing is financial loss for Uber. I can't go any simpler than this.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  7. lordreynolds

lordreynolds New Member

So..... math.

44k Backers at a potential 13€ per dude if titans was sold to everyone equally: 574.106€
    Thats the amount of money UBER already did not make.
    Now per every person who feels offended by this treatment, and from person like you who basically tell him to go f+ck himself: another 13 bucks lost.

UBER has to sell 44k units just to make up for this expensive gift. You know. In a toxic atmosphere.
    And you keep pissing into the pond.

So, whatever you call the weird and f+cked up thought process of yours: that is a guranted loss. A loss of At the very least 574.106 €. Because guess what: giving something for free does not net a profit. Giving something away for free while at the same time punching people in the **** also does not net a profit.

I can't go any simpler than this. Wait i can. But i won't.

44,162 backers pledged $2,229,344 to help bring this project to life.

You know. Look at the numbers. Now go tell me again this move was not dumb all around.
    Elate and Planetar like this.
  8. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Yeah, ironically it may be that Kickstarters getting this for free was a worse move than not giving them anything even at the publicity front. I mean, think about it, not all kickstarters wouldn't mind paying, and those who would don't matter anyway as, well, they got it for free and they contributed nothing to Titans. And in turn, there would be less people refusing to buy because they were EA backers and one less thing to flame Uber about. I doubt there are many people who bought PA:Titans because Kickstarters got it for free, and such positive people would probably have bought it anyway if they had interest in PA.

As the slightly evolved apes we are it would seem sometimes being kind and generous isn't the best course of action. Sometimes you just need to make everyone pay up it seems.
    Elate likes this.
  9. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I doubt half of those backers actually still play PA and would buy Titans. Uber actually got data and you only assume things. If they did what they did, it was more or less calculated decision.

And I never said to f-ck anybody, I said to deal with it and actually think how much work they did and that it is worth the silly amount of the money they ask for. If that is insulting to you, well, sorry, thats how it is.
  10. lordreynolds

lordreynolds New Member

"Deal with it" IS a f+ck you in Marketeese.

And as far as calculated decisons go... ahem...

You know what. Keep pissing in the pond. I am done here.
    Elate likes this.
  11. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I'm telling you, like one human to another, to deal with it, because its stupid reason to be mad. I'm not Uber.
  12. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

so uber is nice to some people and that is viewed as a bad thing. The reaction to ubers kindness makes me feel sad.

tell me this at, what point in your view were uber allowed to sell a expansion Pack standalone or otherwise?

pa classic is finished and a good game. Have you played since titans has been released?
  13. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Please Uber apologize for giving your game for free to the people that first trusted in your project!
    You're a really evil goverment... wait no... an evil big company abusing his place in the game market to force user to buy... wait wrong again... a small company of passionate hard working talented people that keep expanding their game and want to get paid. Anyway we should do someting to stop them, any effort we make against them is justified because as I said they are the disease of this world.

Being serious, I'am a computer engineer, I've seen some PA development videos and Uber did a great technological work that happends to be very fun to play. In my job (technological consulting) people reward good work with good words, but here it isn't the same. Releasing products to the general public is more like politics, what matters the most is marketing.
    Remy561, mwreynolds, stuart98 and 2 others like this.