Met a guy at school who plays PA....here's what he thinks about the game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tormidal, October 21, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Then you might want to change your post, as it is contradicting itself:
    Why do you need "them" (which means dual gpu) if there is no support for that anyway?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well you're being too picky.

It's technically correct english. Saying "it" would have been incorrect english since the explanation for what you'd actually be using only came afterwards.

I really didn't want to write a paragraph but I stuck to correct english.

I'd have put "it" otherwise.
  3. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I do 3D Maya Animation in my spare time. Its also useful when buddies need a server to play games on.(Which even then, doesn't really do much on my PC...)

Oh. It also gives me bragging rights. And a powerful PC for the next few years.

The PSU is from when I was running my 680's a few months ago. I needed about 1100 watts total for the GPUs, plus all my hard drives and additional accessories, so I just splurged and got a 1600(Because there was no word on the energy-efficient Maxwell yet, and the 700's had more or less the same power draw as the 600's.)

The girlfriend wasn't quite as happy about it as I was.
  4. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm New Member

I'm in the same boat as the guy in the OP. I knew practically nothing about this game when it came out. I saw the release video and I found a lot of youtube videos of games that had been played... sold.

I didn't even look up the forums until I couldn't figure out some of the play mechanics.

I really enjoy this game even though I am not very good at RTS's; but this one makes me feel like I am truly running a real planet sized, even solar system sized war. Very EPIC!

When I win a match, be it vs AI or another player, I get that rush like I just took home the MVP award in the superbowl.
    When I lose, I feel like I had a moon dropped on my head... oh yeah some times that really does happen. :)

At any rate UBER, ignore the haters and keep making games you enjoy playing.
    And please keep an ear out for reasonable feedback.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. jables

jables Uber Employee

This is great man :D thanks for sharing.
    Kryoclasm and squishypon3 like this.
  6. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Ah, I can see this. Props to you for being able to use it. :)

Heh, I know servers alone don't use GPUs, so having a fusion for personal use is pretty cool. I'm running a single gtx 760 4g on a Phenom II 955. Upgraded from MSI's Superpipe 285 <3. Also, my PSU is 800 watt which is way more than what I need for a 285, but I knew I'd upgrade eventually, so yeap. My tower's not really that powerful, but the core was $165 back when I bought it around Dec 2009, so as a budget build, it's nice I think.

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to a Intel's 5820k, knowing full well I'll NEVER use a majority of it for anything more than PA for quite a while, but It'll be in use for the next 15 to 20 years. Haven't bought it yet since it's not worth if I have to replace it in another 5 years. Also, motherboard + ram for that monster will cost me an arm and a leg. I need those.. ;~;

[/totally off topic oops]
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Saying that Uber is doing almost everything right is a massive stretch. Are they doing a lot of things right? Yes. Are they doing a lot of things wrong? Heck yeah they are.

Orbital as a whole.
    Naval as a whole.
    Gas giants.
    The lack of combat air units.
    The vehicle balance direction.
    The effects
    The hotkey system
    The lack of ease of access of mods.
    Invasions.
    Unit variety
    T1 bots as a whole.
    Defenses
    Nukes
    The fact that the game was released when it was
    The energy system
    Commanders
    Terrain
    The galactic war.
    The tutorial (or lack thereof)
    The lack of +sing
    Unit scale
    The fact that the KS commander isn't in the game.
    Delta commander.
    The lack of laser and missile commanders available to new players.
    T1 bombers
    T1 transports (or the lack thereof)
    The lack of subs when it should be easy to implement them, at least with TA-esque behaviors.
    The poor positioning of vital objects in the UI (Infinite build, for one example)
    The darkness (or lack thereof) during the night

Need I go on?
    ace63 likes this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Considering a large part of that is subjective...
    xankar, igncom1 and Gorbles like this.
  9. stuart98

Everything's subjective however these are issues that a majority of the community agrees/agreed on.
  10. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

And seemingly covers every last aspect of the game....

:D
  11. squishypon3

Not really. Just most if not all of your list is subjective. An objective thing you could have said is. "Recent custom commanders are of lower resolutions texture wise"

That would be entirely true, but saying "Galactic war is bad", okay.. prove that?

Anyway, you can't say "the majority of the community agrees" I say this as someone who actually agrees with parts of your list. Why? Because we're not all the players, there's all the people who play and don't come here.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  12. stuart98

The majority of people who are active on the forum agree. Those who aren't active on the forum simply don't really care.
  13. plague11

plague11 Member

my school can barely run snake thats how bad my schools computers are, i wish i could enjoy a round of PA at school.
  14. plague11

plague11 Member

Also i just have one wish for Uber to do and that is to allow the making of advance mods so that the PA community can help with the development process and speed things up a little bit also no offense to Uber but they really should not make another game till this game is complete and have a ready stable framework for a game i have come to really really love and i just wish there was a extremely big modding community to help uber and there small team of people. Also to any Uber employee that reads this please just do this one request i can wait for everything else but please make advance modding so that you can use the LEGIONS and I mean LEGIONS of moders that would give love to add loads upon loads of amazing units, tools, and Balance changes to the game let some of the work load go to us i mean use your forum community to relieve some of the stressful work load of making PA also maybe some of the work load for human resources if you want. JUST PLEASE MAKE ADVANCE MODDING AVAILABLE SOON LIKE IN LESS THAN A MONTH PLEASE!!!

(side note: sorry for the carpy grammar)
  15. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

You know that Human Resources was cancelled right?

And they are working as best as they can to get PA more moddable. It takes time though.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

We actually already have whole balance mods with entirely custom units. Heck someone's working on a mod that switches orbital with large space ships and fighters. :p

We have many other mods, one that can change unit stats to quicken everything up as a I'm speed slows down so it can counteract the slowdown, we have awesome ui mods too that really all improve the game.

Madding is pretty awesome for PA already. :p
    Nicb1 likes this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

You've got to break it down, man. I got a budget upgrade (monster upgrade will come in a couple of years, once family life has settled down) last year, 3570k, 8GB of RAM and new case/mobo/PSU.

Then I waited six months and got a graphics card. The gf didn't mind, it sounds better than spending £1,000 at once ;)

Of course, when a single one of your components costs £1,000 . . . . :p

Ten or twenty people on a web forum are not a majority, and they never will be. You really need to get a handle on that ego :p
    kayonsmit101 and pieman2906 like this.
  18. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

In my highschool days no one played minecraft... because it didn't exist.
  19. squishypon3

Hehe, minecraft was huge a couple years ago, everyone used to pirate it then play offline (this was before it got lan)

Have little competitions and stuff, was a lot of fun, sadly apparently the school was filled with viruses so the year after they really locked up the computers.
  20. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Well since that is the only direct form of feedback we currently have, you will have to take the forum and/or reddit majority as the general majority.
    And when you read again and again how the terrain is bland and only find people agreeing there's gotta be something about it, right?

I can find myself agreeing with ~80% of all points on stuart's list.