Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Polynomial, March 12, 2013.

1. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I actually imagine the SMNC work laid the groundwork for this, but will we have solo/team matchmaking in addition to game lobbies?

I did a search for matchmaking, and we're all assuming we have it!

I feel like games have actually moved away from lobbies towards matchmaking. I'm definitely at the point where I feel its easier to party up and matchmake that way.
  2. syox

syox Member

There is a lot about matchmaking here at least on the later pages.
  3. Polynomial

Correct, but remember Uber launched MNC on the PC without matchmaking. That didn't go so well.

I don't see anyone saying "We have matchmaking."
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We have multiple kinds of matchmaking on the back end right now.

The real question is the best kind to expose as there is a huge number of different possibilities.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I hope for good team-matchmaking :)

1on1 is a must too, of course ;)
  6. Polynomial

Cool neutrino.

This is just my opinion. I echo kyro. Ideally I'd like to see 1v1s through 4v4s similar to what StarCraft 2 has. I would say that's a minimum requirement. Its quite possible the larger games could attract more casual players since PA isn't trying to be the 4 srs micromania that's StarCraft 2. I have no real interest in 1v1s myself.

Increasing the scope I'd tie it into solo/team leader boards and such.
  7. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I think these days there is, for some reason, a drive to shrink the number of menu options players have. A single "quick match" button instead of a plethora of matchmaking, game lobbies, etc. options.

I think PA should take an "all of the above" approach to game selection. Allow players to host games which can be individually joined (of course). Allow players to "quick play" and just find a game against someone, regardless of skill level or other parameters. Allow a "matchmaking" system where a server will keep track of a rating which is adjusted by winning or losing matched games.

My point is there really isn't a need to reduce player choice down to whatever functionality is contained within a single "play game" button. This isn't a console game, where the input system is incredibly restrictive and makes selection and menu navigation extremely cumbersone, such that a single "smart" button is necessary.
  8. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Can we get a confirm on what kinds of match making will be in the game?

ex. Ranked, Casual, show stats?
  9. taihus

taihus Member

Aye, this be a PC game! go full out with all the options, as long as there's some sort of explanation of what the options actually are.
  10. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

And an option to exclude players (so you wont be mixed with them in your team). I encountered enough players in other games (with matchmaking) where it woudn't hurt to never play with them again.

For sure you could reverse your decision. That's just an idea. But looking at the behaviour of today's players in other games it just becomes more and more necessary for me. Although I hope that great RTS games (like PA for sure, duh! :D ) attract less toxic players than let's say CoD or LoL.
  11. syox

syox Member

Since there will be dedicated servers, and also mods.
    This aint gonna be a problem i think.