Matchmaking. Does this game need it? I think so.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Decker87, February 8, 2011.

1. Sefam

Sefam New Member

Get your League of Legends out of my Monday Night Combat. Please!

Players can play the class they suck at. They can also be level 40 and be much weaker than another level 40. Elo also doesn't work in a team-based game, because Elo is made for rating a single person, not a random team.
  2. amandis

amandis New Member

don't think its necessary

a lvl 5 can be better then a lvl 30 if the person has better gaming background
  3. Warskull

Warskull New Member

Dedicated Servers > Matchmaking

Matchmaking doesn't work well with dedicated servers. The dedicated/browser system lets admins customize their servers, allows players to pick servers they have the best connection/experience with, and it allows the servers admins to try and build a community.

When you bring in matchmaking you get more of a L4D situation. The community is weaker, you can't choose the best servers, and honestly the quality of the game won't improve that much. Even with MM on XBLA I would say the average game isn't any better than the current situation.
  4. s0cks

s0cks New Member

It seems people don't understand the difference between matchmaking and peer2peer hosting.

Matchmaking makes teams that are evenly matched.
    Peer 2 Peer hosting creates games that are hosted by players not dedicated servers.

This game BADLY NEEDS MATCHMAKING. I'm am sick of stacked teams. Especially when it lasts 15minutes. Being spawn camped aggressively is no fun at all. Please UBER just match teams by level. Of course it's not perfect, but it's better than NOTHING!! :(
  5. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I've been in games that focus on PvP and have a matchmaking system that was a little off and that pade getting into PvP with a well rounded team hard.

The thing is the level of balance this game has and the effort put into it has been so great that I have to say that Uber would be able to pull off matchmaking well.

The only downside is the wait for a good room unless the player can check off to enter an existing match.
  6. Arcanum

Arcanum New Member

What about a server-wide matchmarking, limited to the <100ms servers?
    It would work like this:
    - player clicks on multiplayer and chooses matchmarking
    - client checks all available servers and does the ping test
    - client sends to the master server the servers on which the player can play
    - the master server chooses the server with the general ability closest to the player's and sends the order to the client to connect to that server
    - player plays on the server without being rotflstomped or rotflstomping someone

Obviously this would be only an option, not forced. :D
  7. Warskull

Warskull New Member

You can't have in an option or the matchmaking won't actually work. The second other players join the server it will be thrown out of whack.

The big thing about matchmaking is you can't have customizable settings and you can't wait for a server with good ping.
  8. s0cks

s0cks New Member

This is assuming you matchmake WHOLE servers with the same level players.

All you need to do is take the players in the current server and split them into fair teams. Don't stack 6 high-level players against 6 low-level. Obviously the system will have to do "it's best" when people choose a team, but quite often in pubs, no-one chooses a team.
  9. The Noid

The Noid New Member

Also once again, matchmaking would be great for people who want to play with their friends, and at the same time solve the problem of team stacking.

1. Create a party with 1-5 other friends, and join a matchmaking queue.

2. Game looks for a server with enough slots to add your party and another party of the same size on opposite teams.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who want to play with 1 or 2 friends, and their goal is not to stack teams.

Also I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to do a 6v6 skirmish with some organized teams, and right now it involves quite a bit of planning and work to get something like that going.

Look at the server list. There are only a few games with 1-3 slots open, and those fill up very quickly. On the other hand there are a HUGE number of servers with 6-12 slots open, which this system would be great for filling.