Massive Graphics Failure

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Geers, September 30, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

God dangit. What did all these games all have in common?
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Planets?
    websterx01 and Remy561 like this.
  3. Geers

Besides the obvious Captain O.

Apparently this was the 990,000th post on the forum, So that's cool.
    Remy561 likes this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Maybe the planet type then? Or the system? Geers and I both had 4 metal planets as can be seen in the screenshots.
    My system was the Revenants boss system, but Geers was battling a purple guy (Foundation?)
  5. Geers

Those are actually moons. It also happened one a system I made with 6 ultra-tiny moons.

:eek:.

COULD IT BE THE MOONS!?
  6. Remy561

Sorry, moons indeed! (My memory cheated me into thinking it was a metal planet)

And sorry again for false ideas, after searching on Steam for PA screenshots with this bug:

[​IMG]

Earth type planet, 55 seconds in game :eek: They litterally only spawned!
  7. Geers

DAMN YOU ELUSIVE BUG.

There must be something. AARRGH!

Maybe it's something to do with planet generation/rendering, right?

@bgolus Right!?
  8. Remy561

It probably is, otherwise you wouldn't get this bug :p

From this last screenshot it really seems that you cannot repro it easily with controls since that guy hadn't even placed a building yet.. So at most he could have zoomed in and out a bit / send his commander to build the first structure.
  9. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Today, I just got this bug when I was messing around with the system editor. F5 didn't work, and neither did loading a new system. PA Version is 74525.

massive graph bug 1.jpg

massive graph bug 2.jpg

I used the following mods: Water Cliff Planets, Awesome Projectiles, Custom Skybox, and Two Color Icons. I will try restarting PA and see if the issue persists.

P.S. I was wearing headphones when this happened...

EDIT: The bug went away when I restarted the game.
    Remy561 likes this.
  10. Remy561

This means it really is about the rendering, which makes it almost impossible to reproduce since you cannot do the system editor stuff ingame....
  11. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a PA log from the exact same time the static glitch occurred. I hope this provides some help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had Ambient Occlusion on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 9, 2014
  12. PsyPhoenix

PsyPhoenix New Member

Nvidia user too, latest drivers.

The issue seems to be with loading/updating the HDR. if you turn HDR off, the game will "somewhat" recover.

It would be good to test playing with HDR turned off and see if it stills happens to anybody.
    Remy561 likes this.
  13. Khlorghaal

Khlorghaal New Member

Oio5mcg[1].jpg
    Immediately on starting a ranked game, I had alt tabbed while it was loading, GTX660

This is definitely an issue with framebuffers, especially considering people say HDR fixes it, that pattern is from a texture full of junk data.
    Remy561 likes this.
  14. Geers

Fascinating.

@varrak
    @bgolus

Could HDR be the issue?
  15. Khlorghaal

Khlorghaal New Member

Not HDR per se, its from the textures being rendered not bound to their framebuffers, so it could be HDR or FXAA, but it could possibly happen without either if a nondefault framebuffer is still used.

Note how in my image theres a texture in the lower left, theres normally nothing there. It looks like a minified version of the large texture (which is being magnified, you can see the linear filtering), but they're noise so its hard to compare them.
    Last edited: January 12, 2015
  16. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

This isn't only in your picture, all screenshots except the on from the system editor has this small texture sitting in the bottom left corner.
  17. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

HDR is definitely part of the issue, but why, we don't know. It's probably not something being caused by HDR, just something that only occurs (or is noticeable) when HDR is enabled. We've had it happen a few times in the office and done some debugging on it, and the result was everything on the game side was correct in terms of what textures it thought where being used, but obviously they weren't. We're doing something that's causing a corruption in OpenGL, but those are difficult to debug after the fact. We need a 100% consistent (or even 50% consistent) reproduction steps so we can have the graphics debugger running at the moment the corruption actually occurs.

This isn't something everyone can be doing all of the time because running the game in debug mode with the graphics debugger is slow ... really, really slow. This is why we so desperately need the consistent repro steps.
  18. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

We also know that its only on the nvidia side. I haven't seen any amd users having this problem. AMD on the other hand has trouble with extreme brightness on planets while Nvidia hasn't. Could that problem maybe screw it up? I'm really just guessing here.

@bgolus
  19. Geers

So that log file a few posts back isn't helpful? This is a real sneaky bug.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Last edited: January 13, 2015