Map request - Big maps

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by mayhemster, February 5, 2015.

1. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

Ok this one is simple request, for something I'm not capable of doing but I'd love to see. Is there any chance of you wonderful folk who have been getting to grips with the map making tools making some large balanced macro based maps for 1v1 / 2v2 play? I'm thinking size 800-1200 with some cracks/craters/lakes but not overburdened with choke points like most of the maps currently are.

Meso is the best map right now for 1v1 and its still only a small map in my eyes for 1v1 play!
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

THere should also be some in ranked =ccccc

pls tvinita pls
    mayhemster likes this.
  3. mayhemster

yep @tvinita plx :D
  4. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

1200 radius monster.....
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

~900 can be interesting, but much higher and it devolves into an airfest where ground is much less important. You don't want that.
  6. mayhemster

If I'd wanted to discuss balance stuart I'd be writing a hyperbole filled post in the balance forum.
  7. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I can do it, but it'd have to be team armies if you want predictable spawns and I have no idea what you mean by "macro based"

Also do you have any preference for metal count?
    Last edited: February 5, 2015
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I totally want this too, i love playing on large planets but I'm crap with the system designer!
  9. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Alright I finished a map, got a match against some AI uploading to showcase it (I'm terrible on big maps and apparently the AI is even worse) but it'll take an hour before youtube gets it done so here's the DOWNLOAD link if you just want to see it for yourself. It's a 900 radius map with 250 metal and a large river that snakes all the way from one spawn to the other and covers a ton on naval and coastal metal points, making naval an easy way to control a ton of metal and possibly take out a good chunk of the enemy base. Most of the map is land though, but it's generally pretty open with a few "chokepoints" (you can still easily fit hundreds of units down them) to keep it interesting without requiring you to zoom in and guide your units through a maze

If you spawn in the water, tell me and show me where, naval spawns are impossible to see and I already ran into 2 random ones that I didn't even know existed

edit: alright vids up, but still low quality for a few minutes
    Last edited: February 5, 2015
  10. jomiz

jomiz Active Member

I really like what you have made with water on that planet, really good job.