Mac OS 10.6 (OS X Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by DragonMaus, June 15, 2013.

1. DragonMaus

DragonMaus New Member

Has anyone gotten PA working on 10.6?

As I've noted in FS#1167, 10.6 is missing a couple of libraries that, for me at least, prevent the game from even launching.
    I was able to install /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib using MacPorts (sudo port install libcxx).

I also found /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AVFoundationCF.framework, but I doubt that it's a drop-in replacement for AVFoundation.framework

Is anyone else having difficulties? Am I missing something obvious?

----

On a slightly related note, does anyone remember what the syntax is for automatically linking to a task on the tracker?
    I remember seeing it in one of the older threads, but can't find it after about 30 minutes of looking and searching.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We have a build we're close to ready to push that should work solidly on 10.7 and 10.8. Unfortunately, we were unable to get the game to compile in 10.6 compatibility mode. Because of some of our third party software, unfortunately, so we're not entirely sure what we'll be able to do about it.

As 10.6 isn't that old, we'd love to support it as well, but we'll have to figure out what to do about the middleware first.
  3. DragonMaus

DragonMaus New Member

Is there anything at all that can be done about the AVFoundation dependency?
    It seems like that's the only thing preventing me from at the very least launching the game.

From what I've read, the AVFoundation framework is the successor to the QuickTime framework, but only from 10.7 onwards.

(15 minutes of writing and deleting bad ideas and impractical suggestions)

I sincerely hope you are able to sort something out so that those of us on 10.6 are able to contribute to the alpha in some way.
    I really hate not being able to contribute... :(
  4. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Is there a reason you cannot upgrade to 10.7 at least? I never seem to see many Mac users who don't upgrade!
  5. DragonMaus

DragonMaus New Member

Mostly because I strongly disagree with the direction Apple is taking the OS.

For me, OS X is a middle-ground between the control and utility of a FreeBSD system, and the compatibility and entertainment (i.e. gaming) value of a Windows system.

10.7 takes away a lot of what I value in a computer with its increased emphasis on system-controlled automation (e.g. that horrid universal auto-save thing) and cloud computing.
    I prefer to have absolute control over what my computer does, both in general and with my data.

Once I have the funds, I plan on building a relatively modern system running one of the BSDs, and probably multi-booted with a Linux (Arch, Gentoo, LFS, or Slackware, I'm thinking).
    I may even throw Windows 7 into the mix, if there's a compelling enough reason to do so.
    All of that will be at least 8-10 months down the road though, as I have other financial priorities at the moment.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

While I don't all together agree with some of the changes in 10.7 and 10.8, most of the things you seem concerned about are pure opt in - you're not forced to use iCloud or any of their other services (location, etc).

I kinda get the "digging your heels in" on some things, but until you can upgrade, might be worth reconsidering.. I want to get 10.6 working just to broaden the base it's available to, but I have to state - it may not be possible. Since Apple makes you compile to a version, we may not be able to get our binaries to compile to 10.6 because of some of our dependencies.
  7. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Well by the time you get that new PC the Linux port should be a lot more fixed up.

Just thinking it's not worth the time for 10.6 especially when so far you're the only reporter and you're moving off it as well.
  8. cebjyre

cebjyre New Member

Another 10.6.8 user here (and there was also cosmoray that created that bug report). I've also been hesitant to upgrade due to some features changing in ways I'd prefer to avoid (but I believe the next version will sufficiently mitigate those concerns, and I'm planning on upgrading the hardware within the next few months anyway, so I'll get an OS upgrade when that happens whether I like it or not).

According to https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0 there are actually more people still on Snow Leopard than Lion (and more than a third of the install-base of Lion + Mountain Lion combined), so it's not an insignificant number of holdouts.

Having said that, I definitely appreciate that it could be way too much effort (or even flat out impossible) to get it running on Snow Leopard, so while I personally would like to see it happen, and there is at some demand (at least 3 people!), if you can't do it, I can accept that (and then I get a shiny new computer and can play with that).
  9. cebjyre

cebjyre New Member

While there's still some question about whether it's possible or not, you'd probably want to look at updating the system requirements on http://www.uberent.com/pa/ - at the moment it's: