mac crashes

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by toric55, September 2, 2015.

1. toric55

toric55 Member

beach ball of death, seems to be related to game progress or something like that. any ideas on what i can do to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

In the logs you've posted, about twenty planets have been generated. The first one seems to indicate that you join a lobby, PA starts generating planets, you leave and join another lobby, new planets are being generated. That's repeated a total of four times. In the second log, I only see one lobby join, but still twenty planets are being generated. Those are some strange logs...

So what exactly do you mean with "game progress"? You join a game and after playing for a while, PA becomes unresponsive? Or do you mean that after playing multiple games in a row, you get the beach ball? Does it always happen? And how large are the systems you are playing on?

Could you also keep the Activity Monitor on during your next games and see how the memory usage behaves? How much memory do you currently have installed?
  3. toric55

toric55 Member

the first one was because i tried joining some password protected servers, resulting in an insta kick. seems to happen no matter the size of the system, exact thing has been happening since release. logs look pretty much the same, but i can fire it up in single player and get server and client logs for you. as for activity monitor, do you know if there is any way to graph the usage over time? if not, i can just do alt tabbing, but that may mess things up a bit.
  4. DeathByDenim

Yeah, if you click on the Memory button in the Activity Monitor, there should be a memory graph at the bottom. You can also play in windowed mode for easier access to the Activity Monitor of course.

So the beach ball also occurs if you just play one single game? How long does it take from the start of the game to the beach ball appearing? And yes, log for that would be nice as well.
  5. toric55

toric55 Member

sorry it took so long. he memory pressure, (whatever that means on OS X,) did seem to be rising as the game went on, and obviously fell, but the game itself never approached 8 gigs, the amount of ram i have. i think it peaked out at 4? i may have spiked during the crash, but the only graph it gives me is the memory pressure thing. you know of any third party stuff i could use to graph resource usage? anyway, here are the logs.

Attached Files:

6. DeathByDenim

Hmm, I guess it's not memory then. As long as the memory pressure graph doesn't turn red, it should be fine (nice explanation about mem pressure here). I don't know any third-party programs though.

The only odd thing I see in that log is
    Code:
    [23:13:34.708] ERROR Mesh included in culling for more than one LOD.
    , which I think Uber tried to fix. Can you try the current PTE to see if that fixes your problem? Instructions on how to get that are here: http://exodusesports.com/guides/exodus-explains-planetary-annihilation-pte/