Mac and Linux: Getting Started

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by garat, June 14, 2013.

1. 1lostthegame

1lostthegame New Member

There is a bug for the Mac OS version where if I launch the game and then click on the settings and try to select a region, the game crashes but Steam still says that it is running, so I have to force quit Steam to relaunch PA. Sorry, I don't know where to find code sections to post, this is just all I know for the bug.
  2. flasimbufasa

flasimbufasa New Member

I more or less lurk, but I have to ask. Why the abandonment of the 32bit platform?
    I use a 32bit linux by choice since from everything I've been able to tell over the 4 years of using linux regularly, it is much more stable, and compatible.

I have access to my 16GB of ram... What is the other purpose of using a 64 bit operating system..?

Granted, it seems to run faster, but I use it as my main system. I don't need any instability or compatablity issues.
  3. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

the purpose of a 64bit OS isn't just RAM, its 64bit pointers.
    Sure the most common thing about 64bit is that "its moar RAM" but its not just that.

A 32bit system can ONLY address a maximum of 64gig or RAM and that is ONLY via PAE.
    A 32bit system can only access 4gig of memory

Now on Linux there is a 3G:1G memory split where the last G is reserved for the kernel (and it can only access this 1G) and the remaining 3G are for userland. so even with a funky PAE (linux) system with 16Gig of RAM a single 32bit process can ONLY address 3gig of memory
    3gig really isn't that much for modern game... (HoN If I load all entities will use 5gig of memory and this is something only 64bit linux hon can do).

ZONE_DMA == 16Meg in 32bit, 1Gig in 64bit
    ZONE_NORMAL == kernelspace == 896Meg in 32bit, 64Gig in 64bit
    ZONE_HIGH_MEM = 64gig in 32bit and not needed in 64bit.

There is then computational speed. 64bit is faster at handling double precision numbers. You might not be needing or caring about that, but I do for my FEA simulations.
    There is also the ability to have 2^64 pointers instead of 2^32 pointers if you need to track alot of things.

Now for a process to function it must copy its page out of HIGH_MEM to NORMAL so the maximum amount of memory a 32bit process can handle is limited. THIS limitation does not practially exist on 64bit systems.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Because PA is actually one of first games which probably can utilize more than 4GB of RAM. There is no reason to stick to outdated 32-bit OSes and work with them as 1st priority.

I use 64-bit Linux for last 3 years and have no problems at all. Even Windows users is mostly use 64-bit OSes.
  5. rkfg

rkfg Member

Did anyone read the bugreports I've provided? These are real, x64-specific and I'm not the only one who experience this. What would you do in this situation? Would you live in fear of a freeze any moment or just install 32-bit system?
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We have technical (primarily) and practical (secondarily) reasons for focusing on 64-bit.

For a good explanation on the practical, Steam's hardware survey ( a pretty solid snapshot of PC gamers world wide), check this:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Our more technical reasons are of course address space. We fully expect this game to be able to grow to systems that will be made a number of years down the road. Want a 15 planet system? Well, playing on your 8th gen i7 16core proc with 64gb of ram, no problem?

I'm being somewhat hyperbolic, but that, as much as anything, is why we're trying to focus so hard on 64-bit. On 32 bit, that is, simply put, impossible to even dream that big.

Oh hey guys.. New build. :) Mac is still very unstable, especially on mobile devices (MBP/MBP retina), but we're getting there, and we hope to start getting the last, but still very big, bugs stomped in the coming days so it actually is playable. Today's patch from a keyboard and mouse usability perspective is almost there - we have another patch that's still awaiting a lot of internal testing, that should fix the remaining mouse issues that currently make it very difficult to play.
  7. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Well the performance actually seems better on Linux, it no longer has a brief stall when you select an area to spawn and click ready the commander is now just there, previously it had a little load time so good job there!

The selection bug is still present, have to drag to select (or zoom out for icons) and cannot issue assist orders when i have commander or builder selected by right clicking on a building still.
  8. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

I did and the common theme in there is debian & debian derivatives.
    Now considering there are loads of people who are using 64bit linux and nvidia without these issues would imply that while it does appear to be a bug within the drivers, it is not universally triggered.

What would I do? I would roll my own kernel (well I have been doing that since 2000...) Or install a different distro quickly as a testcase, a non-debian derivative... say Fedora.

Something is triggering it, some specific combination of hardware and kernel configuration.
  9. rkfg

rkfg Member

Not quite true, actually. I have a report from a friend of mine, he has the same issue and he uses Gentoo x86_64.
    Maybe. But Debian derivatives are most popular, especially Ubuntu. Maybe it's triggered only on 560 Ti and 250 GTS but then again, 560 Ti is a top card in Steam among discrete ones. I just feel a bit fooled paying for alpha and being unable to test it because developers suddenly abandoned 32 bits. It's not about the money but about the expectations. Just sayin'.
  10. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

based upon the information provided it is true. Equally I am on Gentoo 64bit and thus this is further proof it is a specific issue.
    Uber are not responsible for your setup. Best thing you can do is figure out exactly why that nvidia driver/xorg crash is occurring since it isn't ubers responsibility and neither is it universal.
    It really isn't that much of an expectation to have 64bit these days, especially when it comes to linux
  11. rkfg

rkfg Member

I don't blame Uber for my setup. I just wasn't expecting this bias since each and every Humble Bundle (which has Linux games) and steam games always have 32bit versions and optionally 64bit ones. The opposite situation is quite discouraging for me.

Ok, I'll give it a try once more and install Debian testing x86_64. I don't have time and will to learn other distros right now.
  12. flasimbufasa

flasimbufasa New Member

Hooray. A legitimate answer. Rare on the internet. (Yes I did google before I posted, but no one gave any actual reasoning)

I guess if there are special things you have to do in order to get your system to properly access the PAE memory, I can see why to avoid it now.

Guess I'm buying a new SSD and installing 64bit linux on it in a few days. Whoopie.

The reason why I like 32bit is also I have had numerous issues with the x86_64 wine builds. Always compatability issues or something it seemed.
  13. xash00

xash00 New Member

Post deleted
    Last edited: June 19, 2013
  14. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Latest Steam beta update for Linux added overlay support for 64-bit. Just tried it and it worked for Planetary Annihilation. This may also fix the linking issue (can't personally test it though since I'm already linked).

Also, the new update fixed the clicking issue for me.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Steam Overlay for 64-bit isn't something what's Uber need, but it's a good news anyway. It's mean that Steamworks SDK for x86_64 will be available soon.

Confirm, but mouse still not grabbed correct.
  16. laseek

laseek New Member

Top notch work on the latest build!

On Linux the client is working much better - mouse actions - click (left & right), mouse-over and drag select mostly work on all maps with right clicking applying the default action of the unit(s). There's a few glitches with it - but they're small usability/workflow ones.

A lot less tearing of graphics & artefact issues in this build and when the scene causes fps to drop - the client appears to recover rather than getting stuck.
    Zoom in/out appears to be triggering a scene redraw a little too often but zoom in/out and it usually recovers after a few seconds.

Coherent looks to be a lot happier and the connection between it & PA is far more stable. I wasn't able to terminate PA and have Coherent lingering around.

There's still a lot of little issues but it feels far more on-par with the Windows version in terms of usability.

Great work & ta for keeping at it supporting Linux & Mac.
  17. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Has anyone else noticed it doesn't remember our password now?
  18. laseek

laseek New Member

aye - looking at the client code - it was pulled.
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Intentionally.. It was being stored in an.. uhm.. unsecure way. No more password saving until we can do it right.
  20. compholio

compholio New Member

ROT13? ;)