Mac and Linux: Getting Started

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by garat, June 14, 2013.

1. compholio

compholio New Member

That's actually not entirely true, if you zoom out so that the icons appear you can click on the object's icon to get things working.
  2. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Okay so not entirely true poor choice of wording then.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Uhm.. guilty admission, I didn't actually read the bug, but was more making a statement of "we need to fix the core of actually getting Mac and Linux loading reliably and the core things like UI functioning properly", and then we can focus on things like actually making the game really fun to play.

I'll go hang my head in shame now. :) Sorry, doing too many things at once.
  4. laseek

laseek New Member

I remember reading about CoherentUI_Host lingering around after PA exit.
    If you launch the game via the terminal or run it directly - and close via the Window Close Icon - rather than quit on the Game System menu or ctrl C in the terminal - then it sticks around rather than closing cleanly.

When CoherentUI_Host lingers - you can get all sorts of errors the next time you try & run the game - from gpu driver faults to PA segfaults.

It looks like the Window close signal in PA isn't being handled properly (might be window manager related).

5. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

It isn't, there are other aspects of PA & xorg interaction which demonstrate this as well

eq
    1) launch
    2) try to launch another application from your tasbar (NOT select another window). its like it is drawing fullscreen but not, if that makes sense
  6. laseek

laseek New Member

I'll give it a try after this game. Which window manager are you using?
  7. rkfg

rkfg Member

Am I asking something impolite so everyone ignores my question about 32-bit version? Or is it mentioned somewhere already? If so, please tell me. I have only 32-bit system (Ubuntu 12.04) so I can't run the game.
  8. laseek

laseek New Member

From here (viewtopic.php?f=71&t=48102) - x64 only at the mo - x32 builds are in the works.
  9. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

Im using muffin for my windowmanager (fork of mutter, Gnome3 wm) - Cinnamon is my desktop
  10. rkfg

rkfg Member

Thanks! I'll wait then. It's strange to prioritize x64 since Steam doesn't officially support it on Linux. I hope PA won't become another Achron with 64-bit only build and vague promises about 32-bit one on the way. For years.
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We prioritized 64 bit because most gamers are on 64 bit now, and if you are restricted to 32bit only, there's a good chance you may have problems just due to system age.

64 focus had nothing to do with steam, but was all about making a modern game, unfortunately. 32 is still coming, but there's still a lot of questions long term about how it will handle the game.

Sorry, typing from iPad, unusually brusque. :)
  12. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

What about a 64bit system + nvidia has caused you issues?
    The reason I ask is because I have run a 64bit system + nvidia since I upgraded from a P4+nvidia (now on an i7 + nvidia)
    I have never had any issues with nvidia or 64bit

I have operated a 64bit Ubuntu+nvidia where I work for near on 6years now (IT don't understand linux and we need linux for an FEA package we use for magnetic design...) The only issue there was there was a 30day bug with nvidia driver and it was only really showing on this box due to it being on continuously. This bug however was fixed something like 18months ago and was more nvidia generic than 64bit specific

Equally I have provided ad-hoc support for gentoo via ml,forums,irc for over 10years and nothing so bad resulted in people needed to completely change their arch
  13. gillza

gillza Member

I confirm all three issues :) I understand there is a bug report created for the point selection, but there seem to be no report about cursor (unit command) issue and vdeo settings portion is missing from the settings menu :). But Thanks a bunch for getting the linux client going!!!

Running on Asus g54sx-a1 mint 14 (ubuntu 12.10).

P.S. I have 7 processes with CoherentUI_Host running after the program was closed.
    Last edited: June 17, 2013
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Agree. There is no reason to stay on 32-bit system, I think 32-bit only Linux distros should be completely abandoned.
  15. rkfg

rkfg Member

Check this: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... 0-4-amd64/ and this: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/535519/

The only solution that solved this madness is migrating to 32 bits. Period. The freeze happens randomly, not only in games but sometimes on desktop as well.
  16. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Yay got Linux build working 595 on Archlinux with custom compiled kernel 3.6.7 AMD64. Had to create libudev.so.0 and left click isn't working properly but still can select units with rectangle box. All units get selected when I don't want them too, even Commander.
    Have AMD Catalyst drivers 13.4 compile from AUR Catalyst Total. Detects OpenGL 4.2 on Radeon 7660D sets graphics to high when initializing menu then drops settings to medium, no graphics settings in menu other options missing. Very low cpu usage on AMD A10 quad, integrated graphics the bottleneck but still playable around 15fps - 30fps. Game uses about 4GB ram on 8GB ram system. Using LXDE window manager with minimal libraries have QT4 amd mesa libs installed ect. Horray game running on Linux and don't even have to compile it nice work Uber
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please don't abuse forums with colored text, It's not make your posts looks better. :roll:
  18. mcodl

mcodl Member

Uber, I don't know how you did it that quickly but on my Linux Mint 14 Mate (64bit) it runs out of the box!

It actually runs better on my Linux laptop than on my Windows desktop. Also no errors in the terminal.

One question though: is it possible to change visual settings on Linux yet? I tried a quick search for a configuration file and couldn't find it.

lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0dec (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    04:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
  19. laseek

laseek New Member

Visual settings for the game?
    You do it at your own risk - but you can edit <PA>media/ui/alpha/settings/settings.js and tweak the function on line 16 to return true.

Line 16 looks like this before:
    Code:
    self.showGraphicsSettings = ko.computed(function () { return self.os() === 'windows'; });
    Line 16 looks like this after:
    Code:
    self.showGraphicsSettings = ko.computed(function () { return true; });
    If it breaks anything or crashes unexpectedly then just revert the change.
    Last edited: June 17, 2013
  20. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Visual settings menu was taken out of the Mac build due to crashes, not sure why it was taken out of Linux though since it worked for me!