Low Texture Res Problem (Solved)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Nicb1, June 22, 2015.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Hey everyone, I've been having an issue recently with PA which seems to have been introduced with some of the more recent patches. (Had this issue with my old and new cards and yes drivers are the latest).

In this image ive circled the issue. (This happens throughout entire matches not just at the start). When I zoom in the ground in certain areas appears to change to lower res textures and this is infuriating. Yes I have disabled all mods as well to test this. If anyone is able to help I would greatly appreciate it.
    EDIT3: Replaced the image here with one of my more recent ones that properly captures the issue.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    The circle highlights the area where it transitions from low res textures to high res.
    My system has 12gb ram, amd fx-8320 overclocked cpu, gtx 970 now (only recently upgraded was not willing to wait any longer, this happened with the old card too).

EDIT2:
    In this instance the issue was not as pronounced as usual but it was still there.
    Last edited: June 23, 2015
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Textures are generated low res and increased in resolution the closer you zoom in. I'm not sure what factors affect the speed at which the texture resolution is increased.
  3. Nicb1

Yeah in my case it appears to be the opposite. You zoom in and the textures get worse in certain places.

EDIT:
    Well this is odd. Just played a game on forge and the issue didn't pop up. Will make another post if I get this issue again.
    Last edited: June 22, 2015
  4. Nicb1

Nope still getting these issues. Let me know if you guys need me to post any other info.

EDIT:
    I am using 2 monitors. When I click onto something other than pa on my second monitor then pa appears to instantly load the proper high res textures.

What it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    What it should look like:
    [​IMG]
    This happens at any zoom level.
  5. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Do you have any mod installed that alters the shader files from PA?
    (Is that even possible currently?)
  6. Nicb1

For test purposes earlier on I disabled every mod I had and this issue still occurs. (I re-enabled my mods in the ice planet screenshots though).
  7. crizmess

If you are using full screen mode on one monitor, it may be worth a try to switch to window mode and reproduce this bug.
    It is obvious that there is something wrong with the mipmap level calculation, but the real question is where exactly someone messes up. This may as well be a driver problem.
  8. Nicb1

Reinstalled PA from scratch and the problem is still there. (yay)

I doubt it's a driver issue as the exact same thing happened with my AMD R9 270X which I just replaced with a GTX 970 a few days ago. (I make sure to keep both on the latest drivers as well).

EDIT:
    If anyone wants me to upload a Dxdiag let me know.

EDIT2:
    Oh and here are two of the more noticable screenshots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EDIT3:
    Tested windowed mode and get the exact same issue.
  9. Nicb1

10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Have you tried running with the --nomods? What settings are you using? Try to get a consistent repro, then change each setting by itself to see if it affects anything. Another thing to try is reset the OC, it could be an issue since computers are weird like that (really unlikely but still).
  11. Nicb1

With the settings I have played around with them individually and even straight up turned everything off or on low with the same issue still occurring. I have not run it with --nomods but I have made sure to disable everything in PAMM in some of my earlier tests without any difference.

CPU OC wise I highly doubt that would be the issue as I've had this oc for a long time now, but will give it a shot as a last resort if needed.

EDIT:
    Also ran it in safe mode from Pamm without a difference.

EDIT2:
    --nomods has not made a diff either.
    Last edited: June 24, 2015
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm tempted to say this issue is the result of bad Karma by going to the dark side and buying the GTX 970 :p

Seriously though there is something weird with your setup, you mention you have dual screens, I also run on multi monitors (actually connected to 3), without textrue streaming issues so it should work. As a test however maybe it's worth removing the second screen and trying pa.

Also you mention you've tried this with both your new and old gfx cards? You could be suffering a problem resulting from the multiple sets of gfx drivers on your machine, so maybe you want to look at removing fully both the AMD and nVidia drivers, then doing a fresh install of the nVidia drivers afterwards. This may not help but it just rules out a wierd conflict somewhere (it can be tricky switching between vendors on the same install).
  13. Nicb1

:)

This issue was unfortunately present before I even purchased the new card (Didnt report it earlier because I wasn't really playing PA much recently). So a driver mixup would not be the cause of the issue. I will try removing the second screen soon, but also do not think this would be causing any issues as I've had this dual monitor setup running fine with PA for a long time now.

(I actually wish this was a driver issue since it would be so much easier to solve, but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case).
  14. cdrkf

Ah ok, out of interest have you considered trying the Linux version of PA (you can install Ubuntu beside windows really easily, all it requires is a chunk of free hdd space, 50gb is probably sufficient)? I think it could be something messed up with your Windows installation and this would be a good way to test. If the issue is gone in Linux, then it's software related, if it's still there then you can be sure it's down to a hardware setting / conflict.

Whilst I'm thinking about it, the other thing you could try is to perform a clean boot of windows (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135) and run PA, that would test if any 3rd part software on our machine is interfering with PA (there are quite a few things that can upset pa actually)....
  15. Nicb1

Well this is interesting. I've turned off every piece of software running in the background on my comp and after testing PA a few times the issue doesn't appear to be showing up.

So from the looks of it, it may be a piece of software causing it. Now to work out what software and hope that this is actually what was causing the issue.
    websterx01 and cdrkf like this.
  16. cdrkf

If your using the clean boot method to disable everything, the recommended approach to finding the culprit is turn only half of the software back on, restart and test. If the problem comes back, disable half of the active programmes and try again (if not swap to the other half and try again), rinse and repeat until you narrow it down to the culprit.
  17. Nicb1

Through manually disabling and enabling various programs I found out which was the culprit. Turned out to be the raptr desktop app. PA runs perfectly fine without it. Should have uninstalled it when I put the new card in, but what was odd was that I was having the same issue when I had the AMD card in my system still. Must have been the way in which it tried to hook into the game.

So we can consider this issue solved :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. cdrkf

Ah yeah, I do have Raptr installed and working with my R9 280, however I remember disabling the overlay function (essentially anything that uses overlay upsets PA).

Edit: @DeathByDenim, @SXX, another one to add to the 'do you have this installed' list... amd Raptr (overlay enabled).
    Last edited: June 24, 2015
    Nicb1 likes this.
  19. crizmess

Considering what programs do to get an overlay working in another draw context, it isn't surprising that it is indeed a little bit wonky.
    From now on, I will consider anything that does an overlay in another application as first major suspect on the crime scene.
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  20. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It seems mentioning usernames in edits won't generate an alert. And since I can't update that list, I'll just do it again for @SXX specifically. :)
    Nicb1 likes this.