Low RAM warning

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by temeter, September 8, 2014.

1. varrak

varrak Official PA

Yeah, I try not to read the steam forums any more. :( But it's folks like you who make it all worthwhile. Thanks for the support, all of you guys. You're the wind beneath our wings ;)
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

pffff! a scorch decal at 4000 pixels².... somebody was wearing their silly hat that day :p

it's not like we need pristine qual for a mark on the ground that's pretty much just black.

good catch ! things like this will definitely help in the grand scheme of things!
    squishypon3 and varrak like this.
  3. tatsujb

aha! if everyone start betting like this you'll be drowning in pristine quality beer soon enough!
    xD
  4. varrak

varrak Official PA

Drowning in beer sounds like a good way to go. Well, there's worse ways, I expect. Anyway. Last night I had a nice cold Stella. Thanks @websterx01.

And today good progress was made on the new memory analysis tool. I have data. Now to finish the ui so I can examine it...

Oh, and if you're curious, I named the tool "UberDump", which I realize may sound a little... odd... But I wanted to keep the naming theme consistent, and I did call the profiling tool "UberProbe".
    squishypon3, trialq, tatsujb and 10 others like this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

UberProbe + UberDump... this is starting to sound like an episode of South Park :p

Edit: You didn't start you career as one of the developers of 'GIMP' by any chance Varrak?!
  6. tatsujb

did webster send you a gift certificate or another way to redeem your beer or something?

tell me a way to send you a beer (or beers) in case I loose and I'll place a bet!
  7. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

:cool:
    2900r ? I'm assuming your using a mod to get planets that big? For the record I made a system with every biom type with all planets set maximum radius (1300 I beleive) then set the system to simulate and checked my memory usage....

Never went over 14.5 gb, I then played 2 a.i on the largest planet posible ( earth biom as the seems the most resource hungry ). Again never saw my ram usage go over 15gb...
  8. cdrkf

How did you get to 15gb of ram usage when your sig states you only have 12?!
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Just played against the yellow faction boss today on my laptop. 3 (deactivated :() metal planets used less than 1gb of memory!! :eek:
    Performance was 25+fps all the time and this for a laptop!! Sim was also amazing, around 7.8 with thousands of units, I didn't even notice it due to the time dilation. :)
    Awesome work guys!!! :D
    Last edited: September 12, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

He obviously downloaded some more :)
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

He must have created a ram disk and put his page file there ;)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Both wrong, have upgraded my rig to hexcore ivy e running 4.8 on cpu and 32gb ram running 2133. Just havn't updated my sig yet. My old board developed a fault with its usb (hopfully shouldn't effect running a pa server on it, (when the server gets released).
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. cdrkf

That's a powerful rig you just put together :) A true PRO though would have downloaded the additional ram, everyone knows that :p
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. varrak

varrak Official PA

No, I just drank one of my beers and pretended. It's the thought that counts, after all...
    lokiCML, cdrkf, Remy561 and 3 others like this.
  15. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I seriously would've bought him one if he'd let me :p I think PayPal will let you email some money to somebody.
    varrak likes this.
  16. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

What!? what!? not an IPA? and you work on PA?

shameful

;)
  17. tatsujb

18. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Only half of those are blocked by my school, I'm surprised.
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

@varrak

400MB saved now is it? That's equivalent to a whole Quake II!
    varrak likes this.