Lore ideas?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zeus9999, February 14, 2013.

?

What did you think

1. AWESOME

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. good

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. eh

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. no way man!

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

You are so very lucky I didn't have a mouthful of coffee, otherwise I'd be asking you to clean my monitors.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Yeah, that's probably what would happen. Unless a species can infest and conquer on a planetary scale, it is pretty much irrelevant to the conflict. But if their world is rich in resources... they're totally screwed.

If anything, deliberate pacifism can serve to verify armor integrity and repair systems. Plus, living things always make good test subjects for the teleporter and lathe! Meaty things are so fragile, that the systems have to be in top working order to handle them.
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

what do you think, will the commanders run on Linux, windows or mac?
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Linux probobly, but it it likely that quantum computing and mutating code would make it's operating system only have an ancestor in Linux.

Windows is leaky (But cheap), and I know little of MAC other this it's cost.

So I dunno.
  5. syox

syox Member

Tbh i dont care for lore. So do whatever you like.
  6. igncom1

Just get this man his UBER Gun!

He has little time for your 'minor details' and prefers to be on the battlefield!
  7. zachb

zachb Member

When the robots were created nobody ever really bothered to think about aliens at all. So the robots were programmed to fight each other to the death, but they don'r really care about aliens.

So imagine the solar system out of Kerbal Space Program.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OhFnq_iKw
    They are just minding their own business launching satellites, rockets, lunar landers, and what not. Then a commander arrives in system and sets up shop on a gas giant and a few other planets. He might even be polite about it, saying hello to the natives and making small talk, while exponentially reproducing robots and moving asteroids about. Then a month or so later another commander shows up and they both attempt to murder each other with vast swarms of units wielding unimaginable destructive power. And after one of them is destroyed (along with a few odd planets and moons) the other one says farewell and leaves.

And once all the homicidal robots have wandered off, the as of yet ignored native species who was just barely getting the hang of traveling to their own moon and back has to deal with the horrifying realization that they live in a universe occupied by vastly technologically superior beings who really don't care one way or another about them.
  8. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

This is starting to make me wonder how many species got screwed over by this war when the planet they were on was destroyed by an asteroid and giant robot killing machines.
  9. kmike13

kmike13 Member

You must be joking. Robots turning on their creators? A News station saying the human Race is doomed?
  10. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Maybe the aliens that survived the battles reverse-engineered the remains and were better after the war. Then they make their own commander to seek retribution!
  11. zeus9999

zeus9999 Member

......... really? it would be awesome to my standards so BACK OFF
  12. Consili

Consili Member

Oh come on, kmike13 expressed what they thought of your idea and they did not make it a personal attack in any way. It is a reasonable criticism too, cliche simply means a concept that has been reused to the point where it has lost its novelty and is no longer a new idea.

A robot apocalypse has been done many times in fiction, it is as much a staple of science fiction as space ships and aliens are. Battle star Galactica, Terminator are examples of it in film. Games as recent as the Mass Effect trilogy had the beginnings of it in the Geth and older games like Total Annihilation had a similar concept as well (although the Core were digitalised personalities). The idea is as old as Rossum's Universal Robots in 1920. You expressing that you are not away how prolific the idea is in Science fiction is something that people are likely to find unusual, hence kmike13's surprise.

Don't lower the tone of this forum by turning this into an internet shoving match. Exercise some reasonable discussion skills and don't take things so personally, especially things that certainly were not intended as a personal attack. Telling people to "back off" in red text is not going to help people take you seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetic_revolt
  13. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Ok wow. First of all, there is no indication what so ever that I didn't think it was awesome. Cliche means that it's been used a lot. Walking away from an explosion is one of the biggest cliches on action movies, but it's still awesome!

And second of all, if you go on to a forum, post an idea, and than ask people what they think, you cannot possibly expect that all replies will be compliments. I can assure you that this was not in any way a personal attack, and telling me to back off was a waste of a post since it adds nothing to the conversation and there is nothin to back of from.
  14. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

For what it's worth, Borderlands 2 took as many game cliches as possible and made an absolutely awesome game out of it.

kmike just reminded me with his 'walk away from huge explosion without looking back' cliche. This was a MISSION in BL2 lol.

Of course, if you're gonna do cliche, you have to be aware that is IS cliche, and that your readers/viewers/players are aware that it is cliche. Borderlands pulls it off by making it obvious and fun, and is very self-deprecating about it so they're like "Yeah, you know you're laughing at this, so are we, isn't is just awesome??!"
  15. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

That is so very true. I'm not entirely sure if it's set in stone, but is Uber going to go a more "serious" route about any sort of story, or should it be humorous?
    Last edited: February 18, 2013
  16. igncom1

humor is good for preventing your audience from becoming depressed.

You guys lisened to the breifings of TA?

All very military based, and not really about charictors.
  17. Consili

Consili Member

Very well said, clichés usually exist for a reason and under the right context they can be awesome. Borderlands is a good example of going the self aware/ self deprecating route and done right fiction can still use clichés in a completely serious way and be awesome.

For the record I have nothing against clichés applied right, after all PA involves robot wars in a world where humans were wiped out by them. I was more addressing zeus9999's assertion that the concept was unique and original.
    Last edited: February 18, 2013
  18. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Let me channel from the 'female commanders' thread:

"Computers have no humor! These are brutal, efficient war machines! AIs wouldn't even know what humor is, so why should we even contemplate including it in the game??"
  19. igncom1

never said they would crack a joke, but more funny things would happen.

Like an enemy commander landing on a planet, only to have it immedietly struck by an asteroid, or for a bunch of enemy tanks to suddenly be hit by a lava flow and be instantly killed.
  20. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Or the original designers of the commanders arguing about having a feminine design. :D