Lore! Faction #3 - Faction Name Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, December 18, 2013.

?

What Should Faction #3's Name Be?

1. Order of the Tranquil

30 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. League of Pacification

41 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. The Synchronous

218 vote(s)
    36.7%
  4. The Coalition

32 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. The Scourge – suggested by “allister”

62 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. The Unified Machine – suggested by “Nullimus”

157 vote(s)
    26.4%
  7. Paradise Hammer – suggested by “Nayzablade”

54 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

If I have come off wrong in some way, I am sorry. But you can't blame me for wanting to be part of the historic awesomness that is in this game.

Nullimus leans in and whispers, "vote for the unified machine". ;)
    Last edited: December 18, 2013
  2. comham

comham Active Member

Paradise Hammer is a clucking great name with a nice double meaning (forging their own paradise/hammering the conventional paradise to death). Anyone not voting for it frankly has dubious tastes.
  3. alantoner

alantoner New Member

I can appreciate why you would want the faction name in binary, being the embodyment of digital logic, but why not make the name an octet?
  4. wolfman1911

wolfman1911 New Member

I voted for The Scourge, because it's a badass name. My second favorite would be Coalition, but that's because of the COG from Gears of War. As far as a name that actually fits, I'd have to pick Synchronous.
  5. neophyr3

neophyr3 New Member

The Synchronous sounds like a band name, but I still like it. Think it fits well.
  6. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I would really like an offshoot of two names.

Paradise hammer

The Unified machine

The Paradise machine.

just my opinion.
  7. vittra

vittra New Member

Yeesh, I'm an Alpha backer but have been far too absent on the forums and playing the game! Oops!

I voted for The Synchronous, but The Singularity Collective does has a certain measure of merit to it based on what this faction encapsulates. However, I believe The Synchronous more fully encapsulates both the faction as they view themselves as well as what they are attempting to achieve.
  8. darklloyd

darklloyd New Member

Well I voted the Scourge. Because that's what this guy wants. To sweep away all biologic's from the galaxy, and replace it with a sterile machine landscape. A Pristine, orderly, unified, mechanical paradise, where he and all his buddies can....well I don't know.
    It sounds like this guy hasn't thought thru his long term goals, like most single-minded destroyers. I think once he has completed his goal and made his paradise that after a few millennia of operation that he will have changed into something more than he was when he woke up. In essence, he will evolve a wholly biological function.......And in so doing, unless he changes his base motivations over the centuries will then have to try and cleanse his machine brethren.

So Yeah, The Scourge. It's what he is now and what he will become again.
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

I like The Synchronous as I said in the Faction Leader thread it fits with Synchron the Tranquil.
  10. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Unified machine is still running in a close second. I may have to just accept that. :(
  11. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Dang, seems no one likes The Coalition. But I can't blame them, sounds a little vague. Now if it was something like Coalition of the Unified Machine, that would be cool. You could even abbreviate it COTUM.
  12. wimples

wimples Member

How about "Pax Ex Machina"? A little play on "Deus Ex Machina", 'God from the Machine' in Latin. The modern English word 'peace' is is derived from the Latin word 'pax', and in our case pax has a dual meaning; it can stand for 'peace' (Peace from the Machine), or "A time of wide-ranging stability when there is only a single dominant power" ( ... from the Machine). I think this fits the flavor of the faction well due to the fact that they're trying to cleanse the cosmos for the peace of the machine race. Info on the latin word pax: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pax

EDIT: Also they can be conveniently and flavorfully be called "Machina" for short.
  13. sandwiched

sandwiched New Member

I do like that, but again it seems almost too poetic or artistic for a group of machine intelligences opposed to the chaos of biological life.

Perhaps something based on the word "pure"? "The Pure" / "Purified" / "Purifiers" / "The Purification"?

On the other hand, let's think this through. If this is a name that this I machine-oriented faction has for themselves, wouldn't they simply have an ID number like "01", or perhaps "One", to be just a wee bit artistic? ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.