Lobby Decisions - How to start a game?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, March 5, 2014.

1. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

Situations that involve warnings, or little adjustments in the lobby such as making sure a team is put together, and don't care if a player is in the game as long as you can set up what you need. Also any case where a player can't connect properly to the lobby, you can just kick them (not ban, because that's mean) so they can return if they fix the problem and aren't punished for it.

Also, I don't see why there would be a problem if you could have a drop down with kick And ban (which would obviously kick them).
    EdWood likes this.
  2. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I would love also a menu for kick and ban but also to approve the player instantly from within the lobby, so i do not have to go after the game to the lobby and approve him there...
    Methlodis likes this.
  3. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I would suggest the lobby leader can change the system and maps but i'm sure that is what was meant with config.
    Methlodis likes this.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes, that's what the config is, planets, teams, gametype, options etc.

There is room to tweak the kick/ban functionality. What I have written down is what it currently does so let's roll with it for a bit.

Long term bans are meant to be handled through the friends system.
  5. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Great to hear that we will be able to have long term bans! :)
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Ironic naming for the win?
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  7. suketchi

suketchi Member

What about with the password secured slots for friends/clanmates?
    Is this option still on the list?
  8. neutrino

In general we are supporting a password for the entire lobby. I suppose we can look at doing it per slot but that seems a bit excessive. Not to mention you can set a lobby to friend, get your friend in then set it public to fill in the rest.
    lokiCML, cdrkf, EdWood and 4 others like this.
  9. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Really there are 3 levels:
    Kick, but can come back
    Kick-ban. Cannot come back to THIS game lobby.
    Kick-add to troll list. Cannot join any game of yours ever again.

Maybe the first level isn't worth the distinction as it may be a rare event.
  10. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

I know this is planned, but as of this build the system doesn't work. When getting friends in, then the host sets it to public, the game remains locked. We tried this last night, when noone came I disconnected and saw that the lobby still showed it being a locked game.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Why not just give the team "leader" the ability to kick (NOT kick-ban) from the team or promote someone else to leader?
  12. neutrino

Check the build we just pushed.
  13. neutrino

UI Complexity? Trying to avoid doing work that isn't necessary? Those are a couple of reasons. Currently we don't have a team leader concept at all.

We can make a button to transfer the lobby control to someone else.
  14. omegabolt

omegabolt New Member

Definitely shouldn't be kick-ban IMO and definitely not auto.
    bradaz85 and Methlodis like this.
  15. dekate

dekate Member

how about the system Valve uses in L4D ?

so this is how it works in the above mentioned game/steam

one guy controlls the lobby, can change stuff around, while all other players can invite friends and chose their character, then they can hit ready.
    as soon as the controler hits ready, all players gets "force-readied", with a countdown of 5 seconds till the game starts loading.

so full controll for the host-player, and individual ready button for all other players.
    works like a charm.

to add: the hosting player of that lobby, can right-klick on players to kick or view these players steam profile.

just my few cents.
  16. suketchi

suketchi Member

You are right. I didn't intent this possibility. ^^'
  17. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

How about Kick Auto Temp Ban?
    i.e. You can't rejoin a lobby you've been kicked from within a certain timeframe.

It'd give that lobby time to attract another player, but if no one else joins the kickee can try again, and has hopefully learnt their lesson.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
  18. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

I like the temp ban option. Only has to be about 30 seconds or so to give time for other people to join the game.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

In addition to this, I would just make the "player readied" section more visible, add more attention to it. Make it red next to player name when not ready, green when ready, then when over half the players ready up the player's ready button starts to flash on and off alerting them they have not clicked it and should do so soon.

I was one of the culprits always needing to be told to ready up because I forgot, it is a simple case of forgetting it was there.
  20. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

You kick people because they might be afk, if they get back from afk they should be able to rejoin you lobby. I want them to return if my game isn't started yet, an automatic ban just because you kicked them sounds bad.

To add to that I can count several instances in games where I had to kick my friends out of lobbies so that they could rejoin because the game though that they were for some reason still in there.

So please make bans separate, automatic bans are almost nothing but inconvenient. I've never met anyone in a public game lobby that I felt like I have to ban.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
    cola_colin likes this.