livestream this september 5 at 10AM Pacific

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, September 3, 2014.

1. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Couldn't have made a better list.
    Remy561 and eroticburrito like this.
  2. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Remember that the vast majority of players have no idea what has been discussed in this forum, or even on PA's blog. Hell, even I don't. I've barely watched a couple of the videos Uber has released, for example. I've been meaning to go back and watch all of them, but when the time for it comes I invariably end up going online and playing the game itself. New factions would be great, and they are a typical RTS expansion feature, but any number of "big rock" features, with an assortment of other little improvements thrown in for good measure, should be enough to do the job.

I think everyone would be surprised at how much money Uber could raise at this point with a second Kickstarter. The reason I didn't back them the first time around was because I didn't believe in them. The much lauded KS video, for example, was misleading. This is something I intend to bring up in my review. It pushed "planet smashing" as the game's main feature, whereas for me it's just a gimmick (and even ended up not being the main feature after all, after the introduction of the annihilaser). The main features were no unit caps, no map caps, large player caps, army sharing with as many players as you want, use of as many monitors as you want, etc. -- none of which were really pushed in the KS video, which is why it left me underwhelmed. I didn't take the time to read the previews, interviews or reddit threads at the time, in which all these features were mentioned, and so I wasn't really excited by the project and decided not to back it and wait until it releases, and I am guessing there are plenty of others who did the same.

People underestimate how much good will there is for PA out there. Not a single of my friends whom I've bullied to buy the game and join my clan (up to 8 at this point) DO NOT love it -- and most of them are not even hardcore RTS fans. EVERYONE would back a sequel, and NONE of them backed the original. Out of the 10 people in my clan, only a single one backed PA.

Uber should strongly consider a new Kickstarter at some point. And definitely if money becomes tight, and they feel they might have to abandon development. They should at least use KS as a last-ditch option to continue development -- but I believe they should use it far earlier, the very moment they feel that the current game is fully polished up.
    Last edited: September 4, 2014
  3. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I'm also very interested in maybe some darker nights, because screenshots with it look so much better!!

Are there cliffs and other CSG brushes like in that mod coming? Maybe different biomes like (lost) cities.

I also would like to know your stand on unit wreckages, even if it is only visual.

Neutral/hostile or wrecked generated bases are also a nice idea if it fits with the story.

Is there more story coming? As in an intro vid or a better, more story filled, pre-galactic war vid as in the vid that plays when you start a match?

Thanks Uber!!
  4. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

nice to see in screenshots, but playing with that active is not nice at all
  5. Remy561

I know, thats why I'm hoping for a kind of middleground ;)
  6. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

There is a middleground between 0 and 1.0 Ambient Occlusion. I use it in my shots. 0.6-0.8 give nice readable nights.
    It's easy to mod in and looks great.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Dang it, ninja'd
    eroticburrito likes this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Horaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
  9. eroticburrito

I'm still adding as things occur to me, so if you have any suggestions :)
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Submarines! :)
  11. eroticburrito

Already thought of it ^^, nice catch though! Here's the latest:

12. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a technical discussion about the lags we have been seeing with the sim slowing down to 1 fps.
    How about how is server utilization looking? Any concerns that server resources will be adequate for the launch?

What can the fans do to help during the launch? Any requests from Uber?
  13. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

WE MADE IT GUY'S!!!
    cwarner7264, Remy561 and Quitch like this.
  14. japporo

japporo Active Member

Hearing a bit about what makes PA tick would be nice. Perhaps a brief overview and block diagram of how PA is strucutred? Or maybe varrak could reprise his PAX talk on OpenGL?
    Last edited: September 4, 2014
  15. Remy561

So the darker nights mod just sets them to 0? I tried to look at changes and it seems it simply deletes these lines.
  16. warmax

warmax New Member

are they live yet because its 11 am
  17. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Tomooorrooow.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Today is the 4th september ;)
    melhem19 and reptarking like this.
  19. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

20. eroticburrito

I don't have my laptop with me, else I'd check out what the darker nights mod does.

In this Thread on Darker Nights, blogus told us how to change these values. Instead of setting them to 0, set them to 0.75 for starters, and adjust as you see fit :)

That's what I've done. In my screenshots all the units/buildings remain visible, but you get a beautiful day-night line, so I can have my Commander staring longingly at the dawn ^^.
    Remy561 likes this.