LiveStream Questions for 4/24/2014

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, April 23, 2014.

1. aevs

aevs Post Master General

There already is navigation by scrollwheel, but only on zoom-in. I suspect there's a reason for that, such as unexpected/bizarre behaviour caused by having a spherical map (but I would be happy if we also had navigation by scroll wheel on zoom-out)

What I would like to see, however, is for the view to rotate more quickly when you scroll into the atmosphere / beyond the horizon of the sphere instead of zooming in straight.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

moons could also have cracks or be half blown up and hollow like the moon Brad has had made by the woodcutter, but not quite to that point.

fdg.jpg ibutiXZUAIktMU.png vb.jpg screenshot_2010-03-03-17-54-24.jpg
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Any information on Uber's intentions on terrain scale changes? Since at least a few of us aren't quite satisfied?
  4. tatsujb

my point being that that's the way it was before the orbital view and planet view were fused into one.

They removed this mechanic for fear of it being unituitive and confictual.

as you very well noticed, it's still somewhat residually there. but not enough to make a full loop around the planet conveniently and quickly.

the way i see it it's absolutely possible to determine a distance at which it is comfortable to have the scroll wheel behave exactly like in alpha and and a certain zoom out distance recuperate the current mechanism, where it doesn't rotate unless you use the arrow keys.
  5. superouman

superouman Post Master General

The terrain scale changes would be feasible if we keep the faster units in the test patch. Faster units mean bigger planets to keep the same time standard between starting positions.
  6. tatsujb

that's the idea, yeah.
  7. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

Will naval ships be given radar/sonar to more effectively utilize their ranged weapons? We are all assuming subs will come back as well, any details there would be great.

Are there any more details to divulge about alternate power sources; solar, wind, tidal, etc.?
  8. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

at what time exactly is the live-stream?
  9. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

1 pm, pst
  10. indil

indil New Member

- What work remains to complete all of the biome concepts? I'd like to see more terrain variation like mountain ranges and canyons.

- Are there any biome concept details you've decided not to do after all?

- Do (or will) units make smart tactical decisions on their own like flanking, targeting the most damaged or dangerous units, or taking the high ground?

- Do (or will) units support each other automatically?

- Is there (or will there be) a way to split a force into two balanced forces automatically? E.g. needing to occupy two places, or attack two targets.
    hahapants likes this.
  11. tatsujb

what are Uber's idea to make matches last two weeks? I want to see those matches as well but as things stand matches are often over in less than an hour no matter the system setup. What mechanics or gameplay elements could be changed/introduced to allow these long, "play in relayed teams" type matches to exist? has Uber already experimented, toyed around with things relating to this idea?

so now the idea is to break intel down even further rather than fix it, so as to encourage people to scout and build radars more? have you been to my radar blips thread?

This reminds me; Uber, will the radar blips game mechanic be fixed? people have been saying such things as a change is likely as soon as the icons get a pass. I'm a little less naive and a bit more septic so I ask : is the intel-radar-blips setup intentional or will there be work to make a more intel-encouraging model?

My proposed changes :
    • blips stayed ID-ed if they have been ID-ed as long as within radar range and positive power.
    • grey blips for non-IDed blips (how could the radar possibly tell who the units belong to but not if they fly float or drive/ further encouragement to scout)
    • four blips types, no more, no less :
    1. air
    2. naval
    3. ground
    4. structure (the reasons are made explicit here : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/differenciated-radar-blips.49424/page-2#post-764593 yet more encouragement to scout and some micro work cut out by the radar)
    • not only stationary building visual for a building that has been scouted but a full ID sticky as well, even outside of radar range, (the same thing we currently have, except you don't have to zoom in to notice it)
    Last edited: April 24, 2014
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  12. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

that equal to 9 pm GMT
  13. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

I have a few questions on what your gameplay related goals are going to be.

What do want the strength of Basic units to be versus us the strength of Advanced?

How long to you want the T1 only phase to last?

How sudden do you want the transition into T2 to be?

How well should someone who turtles and rushes T2 Mexes do versus someone who expands and does not upgrade to T2 Mexes until later?
  14. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

i have question:

Will there be a Bacon Commander?! ;)
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

We also need blips for orbital units.
  16. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

I have a few questions on what your gameplay related goals are going to be.

What do you want the strength of Basic units to be versus us the strength of Advanced?

How long to you want the T1 only phase to last?

How sudden do you want the transition into T2 to be?

How well should someone who turtles and rushes T2 Mexes do versus someone who expands and does not upgrade to T2 Mexes until later?
  17. tatsujb

owwww wp wp, indeed sir! :)
  18. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Where, oh where, is the 'strategic icon overhaul' Brad promised a long while ago?

That has been my question for months.

(Notice I asked for where, not when. So Soon™ is not the answer. :rolleyes:)
  19. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Close™
  20. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Oooh
    OOOOOHH

How could I not have asked this earlier...

When am I getting my Ant back?
    HMMMMMMMMMMMM?o_O
    LavaSnake likes this.