LiveStream: August 14th, 2013 1PM PDT

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, August 14, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

A decal in simplest terms is a texture applied to an object - in this game, everything from factory footprints, explosions under buildings, to sections of sand, grass etc are decals (these are actually small decals repeated over and over and over to form the ground). In first person shooters, these would be bullet holes or blood spots.
  2. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Actually, im every time a lil bit disappointed when i dont see planet to planet stuff or orbital stuff come up, i just dont have any patience! Anyway, the metal and lava planets look awesome and with the new transitions the normal planets became at least 20% cooler!
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It's kinda weird without Neutrino on screen, but you guys did a great job!.

quick question: could you post the screenshots used in the stream in this thread?
  4. Edswor

Edswor New Member

The art work shown in the stream looks awesome. Great work and keep it coming ;) .
  5. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Great work on the art guys, though I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get a sneak peak of some of the stuff that we can expect in the next version.
  6. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Great art, great discussions and great iterations! I wish I was there during the actual live-stream to see this so-called neutrino/petard love.

Also, was that a water moon that I saw?
  7. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Seconding the request for some of the nicer screenshots we saw on the livestream to be posted up. Some looked absolutely breath taking.
  8. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

The one that sorta looked like: o_O ?

I think that may have been some biome swapping fun. It would be cool to see if they did more of that, and what crazy results happend.

Also really cool seeing you guys revel in **** not working out quite right the first time, and how you guys don't just toss it in the recycle bin, but actually think creatively with it.
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Thanks a lot for this livestream. Was quite interesting and a good fun hour to watch it. :D

Since you've mentioned that you now have the tech to link features to certain planet sizes could we now get larger versions of features that would replace smaller ones when they're clumped up? Ie. the snow-covered mountains on earth planets. Multiples of them look quite noisy on large planets. Replacing them with a larger feature would help quite a lot in that regard I think.

(Also I can't wait 'till we get those seamless transitions, they just look so much better. :) )
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

They're already in ;)
  11. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

...for several weeks.
    :p
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I totally missed this one!
  13. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Guess I've to take a closer look then. o_O

(And stop playing only on ice planets... that's probably my issue.:D)
  14. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

So, i really enjoyed seeing the evolution of the planetary art. It's coming along nicely, and the transitions are a great. When we get post-processing on the graphics to help with colour balance, i suspect that the game will really start to resemble the kickstarter trailer.

However...

No rockets makes me a sad scientist. A huge amount of the present game will change after the implementation of multi-planet and orbital warfare, and its becoming difficult to gauge just how big a change that will be. I would have loved a bit more depth on the Q&A about how orbital will work as well. I'm probably just underestimating the amount of work that needs to go into making orbital work, but I'm really hoping to see blast off before beta.

Keep up the good work uber, but please tell us more about orbital!
  15. tatsujb

To me the best moment of the stream was when (accidentaly?) this shot flashed on the screen and this new planet look is bucketloads better I can't wait to have it in game. it is not a photoshop cooncept. the image on the right uses the gradient/transparency technique they talked about all throughout the first part of the stream and has more saturated coulours.
    [​IMG]
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The gradients have actually been in-game for a build or two now. It actually looks like the left has the gradients, or possibly that's a paint-over, but the right-hand pic looks hard-edged.

What time in the stream is this picture taken?
  17. tatsujb

37:05 and I'm persuaded it's not a phtoshop edit because all of the borders are done with the technique, the image would have been too damaged by all these edits and it would have taken a couple days to do. I know the gradient is already in but here they used a different coulour palette and darker shadows kind'of like the recoulour mod and the darker nights. I'm almost certain that this was what was being used.

In any case I'd really like for panets to look like this.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I stepped through it frame by frame, the left is definitely a paint-over of the right. You can see at 37:39 another paint-over of a different planet, where they soften all the edges.

Edit: I agree that the vibrant colours look better.
  19. ekulio

ekulio Member

Wow. Awesome stream. I'm really excited about the terrain gen now.

Would there be a way to make it so that the other biomes can come partway up the mountains? Like mountains near a forest would have trees and grass up to a certain height?
  20. hobodan

hobodan New Member

Would it be safe to assume we won't be seeing Gas Giants until Orbital Units are up and functioning?

Great stream, thanks!