Livestream 1/10

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Polynomial, January 10, 2013.

1. mcodl

mcodl Member

Oh dear, Sorian will be making the AI. My gaming partner won't play this game with me I guess :-D .

When in SupComFA lobby I always asked: "Shall we play against Sorian AI?" and his reply was always "NOOOO!" :D

I remember that the original AI was managable in 1v7 (although I needed a large map), Sorian AI... well, go try :)
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Playing with 7 AIs is a really good way to slow down your game, you're better off playing against fewer better AIs.

Mike
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Playing vs 7 AI on a Map like Setons is to show off 2 things:

1. I spent quite some money on my CPU
    2. Look at me, I know how to outplay the AI

xD
  4. mcodl

mcodl Member

Any non-drastically-cheating AI can be outplayed as there's the limitation of the CPU: it is just an adding machine. A complex one but still incapable of being creative.

So although an AI will beat us on the APM meter when it comes to creating and executing a strategy we humans still have an edge :) .

PS: And I don't have the most expensive CPU (i5 760 series) and yes 7 AIs slow down the game like hell :D
  5. skwibble

skwibble Member

Ah, I remember well all the hours I spent trying to beat Sorian's cheating 2× AIs...
  6. typhooni

typhooni New Member

The screenshot seriously doesn't resemble anything from the Kickstarter movie.... very dissapointed... :(
  7. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Well then you haven't been paying attention to the copious amounts of information and evolving design that's been happening ever since the kickstarter video. Not to mention that the screenshot is a desert biome and the video isn't...
  8. mcodl

mcodl Member

There is a note "Concept art" everywhere. And the video itself was concept art. Not to mention as the person above me said well:

And personally I don't really care if the released game will look 100% or 25% identical to the stuff seen in the video. I'm in for the gameplay so I care if there will be the possibilities seen in the video :)
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I honestly cant see a big difference style-wise between the KS-Video and the new concept art.
    Apart from the fact that one is desert and the other has trees and meadows.

Both look great. ?!
  10. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

But it's gorgeous :(
  11. pureon

pureon New Member

The screenshots do look similar in style to the concept video, yes they have more texture detail, but I can't see how you can be disappointed with it, it looks fantastic.
  12. daemonmf

daemonmf New Member

Yeah, the screenshot looks a bit better. ;)

Seriously though, the KS video was a mock up. What they've showed so far of the far from finished game either isn't really deviating from what was in the KS video or more likely is too far from finished to make any kind of knee-jerk judgement calls.

The screenshot was more of a showcase for what they've been working on so there's a bunch of stuff in a small area. There's also a bunch of buttes ( http://bit.ly/10oFqwk ), no water, no swirly's, no animation, no gameplay, etc, etc.

Also, when you make criticisms like that, it doesn't help anyone unless you specify why you are making it and back it up with examples.
  13. Devak

Devak Post Master General

The concept... well it's a concept. this isn't finished stuff people.

It does look good, but as said in the stream it's probably gonna get toned down a bit
  14. vollatze

vollatze New Member

Yeah I just can agree with your guys
    It would be incredible awesome if this textures would be in the game!
  15. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Why toned down? For me its good as it is, its more TA-ish, than Spore-ish with this style. Clear units, amazing terrain, shadows etc.
  16. typhooni

typhooni New Member

I am dissapointed with the new heading of the graphics, since I was very optimistic about the simplified look like in the video! :) The concept they are showing now seems like too much chaos for me.
  17. pfunk49

pfunk49 New Member

I think this is why they never traditionally show concepts to consumers. Show one thing, change something, show another, everyone starts freaking out.

I for one am here for the gameplay. Graphics will sort themselves out. In either case I'm pretty sure it won't be that dank Starcraft look that I don't have much affection for.
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Nothing has changed? the units/structures till look the same and the only difference is in the terrain, and this is after all a different Biome and Uber did say they will likely be tweaking the fidelity, frankly theres no merit to that kind of criticism until everything is done. Unit Uber says "Okay Graphics are LOCKED IN for release" things will change, be added or tweaked.

Mike
  19. nightnord

nightnord New Member

More detail is better than no detail. I'm fairly sure that there will be videlity conttols, so you would be able to turn all details off.
  20. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

In my opinion this looks like TA High Definition, which is a good thing.

Some people are saying it looks like SupCom 2. I do think that SupCom 2 was onto something with the lower-end, stylized graphical effects. It was also a much more polished title in the sense that it had strong graphical direction, had effective multiplayer (Steamworks instead of that dreadful GPGNet... thing), and was generally not buggy. However SupCom 2 was fundamentally flawed in terms of gameplay, so the fact that it was well-made is completely irrelevant, and the game was dead in weeks.

Essentially, I'm feeling positive about this screenshot's implications for PA.