Linux players help required, check this crash

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by SXX, December 16, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm tested lot of bugs and just randomly find this crash: PA#2794
    Actually I never met any in-game crashes related on planets before and this one not reproducible in Windows version. Before I'm can report it to devs I need to know if other GPUs or drivers affected.

So please try to reproduce it on your system and post here about results as well as info what GPU you have and what drivers in use.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yup. Those parameters make my client crash too after rotating and zooming around a bit. Both actions are required.
    I'm using the "Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" that comes with the "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz". Additionally, I have 8 Gb of memory.
    I'm using the Mesa 10.0.0 drivers that come from xorg-edgers with Kubuntu 13.10.

It only seems to happen for those specific parameters mentioned in the bug report. I've tried several variations.
    SXX likes this.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks. Now it's should be interesting to get feedback from people with proprietary drivers.
  4. shelnutt2

shelnutt2 New Member

I just confirmed it on nvidia-drivers-331.20 on gentoo running 3.10 kernel.
    SXX likes this.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you please say what graphics card you have?
  6. shelnutt2

shelnutt2 New Member

Forgot that part, I edit the bug report comment too. I'm running 2xGTX460's with SLI enabled, dual AMD Opteron 6176's with 16 gigs of ram. My wm is i3, with compositing enabled, as it solved the cursor issue with PA.
    SXX likes this.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's not related to this bug, but did you make any test how SLI affect PA performance on Linux?

On Windows it's cause serious performance drops, so I just wonder if you can try to check FPS using Ctrl+P and see if second GPU used at all.

Also if you have some time, can you please try to run PA with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 environment variable and check how it's affect FPS for you? :rolleyes:
  8. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

crashes here
    GeForce GTX 560
    nvidia 331.20
    kernel 3.10.10-gentoo
    __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATION=1

spotted this in my dmesg

[11297.569102] traps: PA[8793] trap stack segment ip:681feb sp:7fff3c385230 error:0
  9. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

Should be fixed with the latest build. Thanks for the easy repro!
    SXX likes this.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's will be useful if you check it again with 58772 because I can't do that. :(
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks for UberGaf who extract planet settings from server when I met this crash. :)