Linux Client

Discussion in 'Support!' started by tsikedu, June 7, 2013.

1. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

This is not release, this is the beginning of alpha, there are going to be lots of problems, the stability of the game in certain OSes is one of those. Just because you don't see it does not mean it's less supported, it just means there are more problems being worked on. This had been warned about, repeatedly.

All you're doing right now is convincing most people to ignore you for not being able to accept the fact that alpha is alpha.

*ninja'd by garat :(
  2. laseek

laseek New Member

To put things into perspective..
    It took the gnome devs 6 months and a 4 man team (+2 supervisors) to build a simple clock app for Gnome Shell..

The end result was disappointing..
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm sorry but your thinking is very entitled. We don't really have a choice, we have to roll things out over time. This is the reality of software development. You want us to hold up 1000's of windows users just so we can deliver them at the same time? At the beginning of alpha?

We've put a lot of resources into Linux, frankly a lot more than is justified by the number of people who backed it. From a pure financial perspective the windows users are heavily subsidizing your linux experience.

Let me know if you want a refund and I'll take care of it.
  4. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

You're right, paying for something that says it supports Linux and then expecting Linux support and being disappointed when it doesn't come makes me such an ahole.

FYI in the future when you make an announcement about a release, you might consider letting everyone know that it is just for a subset of your backers/customers, who that subset involves, and when it's coming for everyone else.
  5. neutrino

I don't recall making any claims that linux would be available day one of the alpha. It's certainly going to be rolled out during the alpha. As I've said we put a ton of work into the linux version.

So do you want a refund or not?
  6. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Anyone reading the project page or about the game and seeing it supports three platforms would expect each release to be available for those. You can stop acting like I'm insane and conceed that that expectation is the norm for everyone.

Hence why I added: FYI in the future when you make an announcement about a release, you might consider letting everyone know that it is just for a subset of your backers/customers, who that subset involves, and when it's coming for everyone else.

If the alpha is to be released soon for all platforms you have said it supports, then no I do not want a refund at this point in time, thanks for asking.

I hope communication will be clearer in the future and that the beta and main releases will occur simultaneously for all platforms and your backers will be treated equally.
  7. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

I'm normally try to avoid acting like this, but wow, are you dense? There has been plenty of information out there. And offering 3 OS's to be released on implies(if anything) that at RELEASE the game will support them. Not alpha, when things are bugged left and right, and the todo list is longer than the done list.

There has been communication, way more than I've ever seen from any other game. Now just stop pretending same day alpha release was promised, because it never was.
  8. neutrino

We'll try to be more clear in the future. Can you point out the game dev that does it better so I can ask them for advice?
  9. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I feel the need to chime in that swiftpaw22 is definitely being unrealistic and entitled
  10. klewis5

klewis5 Member

11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

There was no official notification but it was said in the forums that the linux version will be later, simply due to it being hard to handle to release them all at once. So yeah, if you're really into PA and you read the forums you would have known :p
  12. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I've been following all of the details about the Linux development of PA since 2nd day of the Kickstarter, and from all that I've learned, Uber is definitely treating Linux very seriously. The only issue is that they have more experience with developing games on Windows, so obviously they're going to get it to work on Windows first.
    Any programmer knows that when you're writing code, you get it working, then you test it in other environments and try to match the known working model. Otherwise you just make a mess of your code and development process.

I could definitely be considered a Linux zealot, and yet I'm quite shocked that there are so many Linux users that don't have the patience to wait a freaking week or two before they get to play an ALPHA. Meanwhile, there are those of us who had to wait patiently for MONTHS before full releases of games like Doom 3 (which was from a team more experienced in Linux development than Uber) were available.

I'm definitely disappointed in the showing some Linux users are making in these forums.
    Last edited: June 7, 2013
  13. laseek

laseek New Member

Skip back a few pages & check the backers forum - there's been a few comments on it - not too long but it won't be in the next few days.
  14. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Thanks for the info, good information there! It's a shame my friends who are going to alpha test it with me are going to have to wait even for the ones who are on Windows, but hopefully for not too much longer!
  15. neutrino

The crazy thing is that we've heavily invested in the linux version. It's literally a whole other build pipeline we had to create. It adds overhead to every single thing we do in code and effects our architectural decision making. There is almost no possible way that it will bring in enough revenue to offset the extra work. But we do it anyway because we want to be inclusive and support the community even if it's not profitable. Then we get reamed because it's not available on the first day. wtfbbq.

Why doesn't every game come out on Linux? From a pure biz perspective there isn't a case to be made. The only case is for passion. Hopefully this changes and linux gets more popular. I have great hopes for the steambox.
  16. sylvesterink

There are few Linux gamers because there are few games made for Linux. Few games are made for Linux because there are few Linux gamers. (And few videocard manufacturers bother with the appropriate drivers for those reasons as well.) It's a sad cycle that only recently started to change due to indie developers making the push. That eventually resulted in stuff like the Humble Bundles, which eventually resulted in Valve and various game Kickstarter projects continuing the push.

Uber is part of that push. You may not see large benefits from that commitment anytime soon, but it's because of that commitment that Linux gaming is poised to become an acceptable alternative to Windows (and Mac).

In essence, your kickstarted project is part of a larger kickstarter for Linux gaming. ;)
  17. SirChristoffee

SirChristoffee Member

...Valve and various game Kickstarter projects continuing the push.
    ...[/quote]

If I remember correctly, in sense we can thank Microsoft too, for making windows 8. The perfect storm perhaps?
  18. sylvesterink

If I remember correctly, in sense we can thank Microsoft too, for making windows 8. The perfect storm perhaps?[/quote]
    They certainly contributed, though I don't doubt that Newell & Co. were thinking about it before Windows 8 showed itself. It just provided the impetus they needed to really start the development rolling. :D
  19. plutoid

plutoid New Member

I think Wine helped a lot, too. It allowed me to play all my Games on Linux.

Windows 8 only helped a tiny bit. Linux is not as commonly known as Windows. Whenever you think of a PC you always associate Windows with it.

Found it. Is there a chance somebody says us, what the Error message( Error downloading launcher update: Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure ) means, so we maybe can investigate it a bit more (since we have nothing else to do :D)

Tried to use Wireshark to see if there is something readable, but apperently there is only one "Warning: Certificate Unknown" and a "Fatal:Unexpected Message" in the "log"
  20. sylvesterink

Wine has been around almost as long as Linux has, and it has supported a good number of games for quite some time. But there's a very large difference between relying on Wine and having a native implementation. Wine only gave developers the excuse NOT to develop for Linux, because "People can just use Wine to play." (And I still see that reasoning from developers all the time.)