Let's talk: Realistic Project Goals for PA

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by memorykill, January 22, 2013.

1. scizct

scizct New Member

Valve's been doing exactly that with TF2 and DOTA2 for a while now, and it's been enormously successful. Letting people monetize their mods encourages people to make content, and the steady stream of user-generated content keeps other users engaged, which attracts more content creators, etc. And as noted above, Valve provides the tools for third party devs to plug into the same system. SMNC's already hooked into some of the Steam inventory stuff, though I haven't played the game to know just how much.

It's a very forward thinking revenue model, in any case, and there are probably some decent applications for it in an RTS.
  2. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Moreover, the hat isn't on the commander's head.
  3. gabooo

gabooo Member

And the price of some TF2 items is just ... WTF ?!
    Well, interesting idea anyway :D

TA was the only game I modded. Let's fix this.
  4. Shigawire

Shigawire New Member

Remember these games?
    Shogun: Total War (Electronic Arts)
    Medieval: Total War (Activision)
    Rome: Total War (Activision)

Publisher set a limit on patches for all these games. Both EA and Activision set the limit to 2 patches for their games. Beyond that required an expansion (called DLC today :p)

Thankfully, Sega Sammy Holdings (or just SEGA) took over, and they have had a more constructive hand on things.

:shock: That is too deep man... Wow, never thought of it like that. :lol:
    But you're right. There are people out there like this: :geek: making lots of virtual hats for money. I get so many bonus TF2 hats for any game imaginable... it's really taken off. I really appreciate the gesture, but I don't need a samurai hat for TF2, just because I bought Shogun 2. I wonder what my Steam TF2 hat collection looks like.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Just to be clear if we were to do something like this it would always be optional and not something that's automatic.
  6. memorykill

memorykill New Member

You saying sega are actually GOOD publishers?! Then why oh why were the ironman and hulk games such piss poor ports, that made me so so sad as a pc gamer...as did the news they have control/bought dawn of war and company of heroes "relic" just recently today, at first i was like "oh god no" now i dunno what to think...well, ill take your word for it as total war games i heard have been fine and i hear that they are actually better than they were :).

But back on topic, patch limit...it actually makes me sick inside to think about such a philosophy towards a game, its why i love this interational process so much these days...project CARS, Don't Starve, path of exile and now ofc PA, makes me excited and makes me happy as it just WORKS :).
  7. Shigawire

Shigawire New Member

Well... I'm saying Sega is better than some of its peers! In handling things with the near and dear Total War series. Ending the patch embargo, and modding embargo. And who gives a hoot about some movie licensed console game gets a bad port? Certainly not me. Movie licensed games are for me of below average quality by default. Exceptions are there of course, but judging from reviews Iron Man and Hulk are not among the exceptions.
    Sega buying Relic... well, Relic are a talented bunch, but I think they should do something similar to Homeworld again... And I think the Creative Assembly can do a better job with the Warhammer 40K license. And now that The Creative Assembly has started to work on a Warhammer title (with Games Workshop), it's only natural that they also be given Warhammer 40K license to work with. Sega can now do that if they want.

Hear hear brother! I'm glad to see a developer working without the mid-level publisher liaison ramming stupid proposals and limits down their throats. At least our stupid (or not so stupid) proposals can be ignored or heeded based on merit and not decree.
  8. scizct

scizct New Member

Yeah, I don't think even Valve could get away with requiring all mods to be paid content (not that they would). The only other dev I can think of off the top of my head that's toyed with the idea of paid mods is Blizzard with Starcraft 2, and I don't believe they ever got that off the ground. Well, that and the weird world of Second Life.

Valve's got some other interesting ideas though, like how they don't sell TF2 maps, but still produce a revenue stream by letting people donate to their creators.

Sega's movie licensed stuff was produced by Sega of America, who've since been placed under the control of the much more competent Sega Europe, which is presumably the branch that picked up Relic. They're in good hands.