Let's Talk Camera

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by zeroed, May 31, 2014.

1. zeroed

zeroed New Member

Hi,

I'm new here, so apologies if this has been discussed to death and everyone has moved on!

I find the current camera system in PA to be really annoying. There seem to be two main problems as far as I can see.

1) The north of whatever planet that you are on isn't always towards the top of the screen. This makes it really easy to get disoriented. You can scroll around a bit, come back to your base and have it rotated from the last time that you were looking at it. I think a better way would be for the camera to stop at the north and south poles and for the camera to always move sideways parallel to the equator. EDIT: I've just realised that this is what "pole lock" does. I still think that this should be default.

2) The perspective is so pronounced as to be annoying. Would prefer a narrower fov viewed from a further distance away to minimise the perspective distortion.

Does anyone else agree or disagree?
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I would encourage you to get used to not having pole lock on. It takes getting used to, but is better for gameplay.

I tap the align north hotkey from time to time, but play with pole lock off. The main issue with pole lock is playing around poles. Camera movement gets tricky, jerky, and all round difficult when navigating around the poles.

If you watch point of view matches from the top players, which don't broadcast as much anymore, they don't play with pole lock.

Like I said, it takes getting used to, but is worth it in the long run.

That being said, pole lock should probably be turned on by default to help new players.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

I haven't noticed the second part, but I did have trouble when I first began playing due to pole lock not being set as default.

Then again, that was only because I never bothered to check the UI settings, so if it had been the default, I would probably have gotten used to pole lock.
  4. waterlimon

waterlimon Member

For me the problem seems to be mainly that theres not enough 'landmarks' to help with orientation when the camera suddenly is at a different angle.

I feel this also makes the game overall more boring and not have as much strategical opportunities.

You are basically playing on a flat sphere and all the things you can build are roughly the same size scale and look the same. It would be nice if there were higher contrast in all the colors of different things (currently it all just blends in) and for mountains/whatever to be a bit more pronounced.

Buildings should not all look the same, because then you just see some weird building soup that looks the same from every angle. If there were more color differences/very different structures or sizes, it would make bases seem more organized and have a 'shape' of sorts that can be quickly understood from every angle.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Under game settings -> camara -> pan style -> WASD ....that makes the game ten times easier to navigate in for me.
  6. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

With the default build hotkeys, that's a bit more difficult to get accustomed to now.
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I've seen this all over the place, and as an experienced player I still use pole lock, it's just nice that way, I don't see how it's worse for gameplay...
  8. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Yes I hope the fix it so you can save your settings out. Then you could move those build options.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  9. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Are people having difficulty with rebinding hotkeys? cause i use WASD and all my rebinds have saved just fine.
  10. waterlimon

waterlimon Member

Also take advantage of the camera saved location hotkeys (shift+num to set, alt+num to move there)

I always put one above each of my bases and any important locations relevant at the time (a location im currently attacking for example)

This also keeps the orientation somewhat constant since you reset it to the 'normal' orientation once in a while when you hotkey back to your base.
    pieman2906 and PeggleFrank like this.
  11. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I tried polelock once, noped back instantly :p It just removes the fluid feel of moving around the map.
  12. touvez

touvez New Member

Hello,
    You can always press N to reset the north up. It s what i do when i get lost after turning it around.
    As of camera problem i would rather be able to split my screen in different windows to be able to manage multiple planets and not just a little windows in the bottom right corner.( maybe it s already there but i didnt find it)

Sorry for my english (french)
    PeggleFrank likes this.