Let's Talk about Unit Health Again

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by brianpurkiss, August 20, 2014.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Not when you take advantage of a few tricks to keep it in check.

Bots in RCBM have very low top-speeds and vehicles have very wide turning circles and poor acceleration.
    Neither unit type is good at "dodging", so micro doesn't become an issue.
    stuart98, nhac, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The key there is reading into, other then text post's on forums I have nothing else to read from you.

No need to get overly offended, when I didn't insult you.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Those where my exact concerns back during the original health increase discussions. I predicted it would be a micro fest, which doesn't fit PA's playstyle.

However. It's not a micro fest. Macro play is still king. If you do a 3x or 4x health increase, then it's too much. If you do a 2x health increase, then it means engagements are a little longer, (but not much), and extra strategy and tactics matter.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I'd like to try it ;)
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Indeed, if someone could do that and post it to PAMM it would be great.
  6. brianpurkiss

I've got the day off tomorrow. I'll probably make an attempt at making this happen. :)
  7. nanolathe

We'd rather not have RCBM on PAMM until we've ironed out a few critical bugs that we've discovered over the past few days.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

We're not talking about RCBM.

We're (at least I'm) talking about the increased health mod that sticks close to Vanilla.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. nanolathe

Good. Because if someone were to try to upload our efforts without our consent we might get very cross.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. brianpurkiss

I would not do that. I've invested too much time into RCBM, both in helping tweak and helping promote, to do something like that.
    igncom1 and squishypon3 like this.
  11. nateious

nateious Active Member

I'm not sure if I'd like to see a blanket increase of health, but I do think your idea is going in the right direction. The only thing I would add is some units might need a damage buff to maintain any sort of usefulness . Specifically laser towers and pelters. How much of a buff, I do not know.

Maybe leave the single laser tower damage as is, but increase (double?) it's ROF to make it work better against massed weak units, set the double laser tower in the middle a very slight ROF buff, and a small damage buff and for the triple laser a big buff but leave ROF alone (or reduce slightly?)
  12. nixtempestas

Well, just to see how this all works out I cooked up a mod to do it
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-anti-popcorn-units.63209/

I doubled health of all units except commander and doubled the damage of all defenses and the commander to see how it works out.

I built a little java tool that allows me or anyone else to rapidly create new versions of this mod, or new mods entirely so if anyone has any ideas for specific configurations, just post them.
    Last edited: August 26, 2014
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The commander deserves double health as well, otherwise he'd end up pretty useless.
  14. nixtempestas

I'm not so sure.
    If commander health was doubled, but damage left alone, his weapons would be total crap against units, especially infernos and vanguards. Once these units close it, it wouldn't matter how much health he has
    If both are doubled, it is simply too powerful I think.
    doubling damage alone means it is just as good as before at shooting stuff.
  15. squishypon3

Oh you doubled damage? I'd just double health first as a thing to start off with. Do double health, then test it. Find any imbalances and fix. :D
  16. nixtempestas

here you go

Attached Files:

17. squishypon3

Haha, sorry if it seemed rude at all. I actually already have done work on a balance mod with double health as the base.. thanks anyway! Ooh but can I ask for that script you run to edit .jsons en masse like that?
  18. nixtempestas

not at all rude, it only took me a couple minutes.

I've attached the .java files here. You can also find it on my github repo (link posted in the mod forum) which may or may not be updated, depending on demand.

It's not the prettiest in the world but it does work pretty good for balance stuff

Attached Files:

19. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Man I was really looking forward to RCBM until I saw the death damage for the commander

I always liked those situations where you have one player rush in with a bunch of forces that alone can't get the job done but move the commander in as well, and together they take out the other commander and win in a very high risk attack. Now it just causes a draw and people just avoid those all or nothing moments because now they're "nothing or nothing" moments
  20. squishypon3

You should give Statera a try. ;)