Lets say I won the lottery and wanted to design a video game

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by rudigarmc, November 16, 2010.

1. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

I would ask them why. If they said the just don't like that and want to make Medal of Halo 3: Modern Gears they are fired.

If they said because technically some of the element I want wouldn't be possible, we would retool it until it is possible.

If they are just being difficult because they are artist and have dignity, then I find someone else.
  2. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Well when I get rich, I'll break the mold because I'll already be rich and just want my name under executive producer or concept originator and work on some sort of profit sharing with the employees. Of course to do this, I would need to be independently wealthy not to need the money coming back right away. But that would be true of any business venture. I just don't understand why videos would be different than other ventures.
  3. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Also, how important is knowing C++ to game design?
  4. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

It's not.

Script languages and engine tools are what is needed for a good game designer. Along with good communication skills.
  5. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

See cause I learned C++ and basic back in high school. Programmed a crappy little coloring program on basic.
  6. DigitalArchmage

DigitalArchmage Member

Gosh, then you're all set! I'm not sure why you didn't lead with that.

My advice is to consider flash games or PHP games, which are deployable to anyone with a web browser, and production knowledge is transferable (art, audio, game theory).

Speaking of game theory, think about game theory. Think about it so much until you realize you need to buy books on game theory and design.

Learn AI techniques. 'nuff said?

I hear often, "I like computers, so I'm gonna do X" (where X is game design, computer science, etc) and it's all too common to hear from people who think there's a shortcut to getting good at X. There's really not.

If you think you want to make games, don't wait for the lottery. Start figuring it out. Stay up all night doing small parts that, when completed, you feel like calling people on the phone to exclaim "I got it working!" without realizing it's 4am. HACK. HACK. HACK.
  7. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

I already have a career, so no I'm waiting for the lottery.
  8. DigitalArchmage

DigitalArchmage Member

What they're trying to say is that what you lack to make games isn't money. And also saying that money won't help your situation if that's the only thing you think you need.

My problem tends to be that, while I'm knee deep in friends that code, we just can't draw. We lack artists with computer skills (drawing on paper really isn't enough). Somewhere (we imagine) there's a community of artists that think it's hard to find programmers. So we're working with iPhone/Andriod apps at the moment, and we hope to have enough money to hire artists at some point. If ever we break into console games, it'll be after we use mobile phones as a stepping stone.

I've played with various 3D modelers over the years, but it's just a different world to me.
  9. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

But money is what I am lacking. Also we all know Time = Money, I am lacking time and money. If I had more money, I would have more time to learn how to do everything and get a team together to help me out. I don't think you understand what I'm saying.
  10. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Rudigarmc, what do you do for a living?
  11. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Accountant. I site behind a desk all day figuring up taxes and crap. It is tedious, but gets the bills paid.

Right now is the slow time of year.
  12. DigitalArchmage

DigitalArchmage Member

I really think I do understand. I think you're saying that money is the only obstacle between you and a game company.

I think that implies that everything else is secondary and, possibly even implies that it's "easy". People with knowledge who have watched people with a fat wallet fail have attempted to tell you that money isn't the last thing you need.

What you really need - more than money - is passion for making games. If you had *that*, then you wouldn't wait for the money. If you had passion for making games, someone might say what you hope they already would: "man, that guy really only needs some money now to get things going."

You're displaying a complete lack of passion for game making!
  13. scathis

I think that's a good point. There's a very big difference between making games and playing games.

If you want to make games, by all means, do it! You may find you have a talent for it you didn't know existed.
  14. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

No, money and being realistic is the obstical. If I had money and time, I would learn how to, but right now I have real world things to take care of like debt, food, family, that sort of stuff. And I can't just drop all that I'm doing to learn to make games. I have had experience in coding, graphic design, animation, and some game making to know I need to have time and money to do as such. I no way do I think having a million dollar will make me a successful game designer. So I really think you don't understand what I'm saying.

I am really jealous of kids going to school now that have the opportunity to get into video game design-centric college programs because they didn't exist when I was in college. So I picked a major that would get me a job and lead me to a good life. So now where I am, I need to get enough money so I don't have to work to.
  15. scathis

Most game design curriculum aren't "there" yet. imo.
  16. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

while that might be, there is something there now. In high school I took computer programming classes and then in college I was trying to be a computer science major so I could program games. But I couldn't do the calculus and I had to take a lot of stupid learn to use Microsoft Office classes in college before the programming classes which seemed dumb. So i got frustrated and tried other classes and found out I was good at accounting.
  17. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

my dad works on automobiles. is he ASE certified? nope...

not always necesary to "take a class" to learn anything. helps i suppose...

also, there are some 6 weeks and vocational courses that cut out the calculus and just gives you a certificate of studies in a specific field.
    Last edited: November 17, 2010
  18. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

I'm mostly self-taught and never finished college. When I started there wasn't nearly the amount of information freely available for anyone with the passion to start making games as there is now. There really is no excuse to start making games, other than the drive.
  19. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Once I get a decent computer again, and get things slowed down, I would probably get some of the video game making software. There are some real life things holding me back.
  20. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

same here, but i might try to do some free-running and martial arts with the stability that i will hopefully reach soon...

do stuff like AZO does, lmao...