Lets play TA while we wait for PA!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by grimshad, September 17, 2012.

1. grimshad

grimshad New Member

I still play TA daily to this day and now I'm waiting for for PA to come out as I'm sure all of you are. I'm always looking for people to play some TA with as it's hard to find people who are passionate about real RTS games these days. The TA community has diminished over the years.

So if anyone is interested in playing some TA with me PM or Post.

Before you ask, I don't play OTA anymore because it's time consuming and difficult to get the multiplayer working correctly.

So I now play TA:Spring which is TA re-created on a modern engine created by the TA community and is free to download and play. So no need to own or buy TA. Look forward to hearing from other RTS players!

You can catch me on TeamSpeak, Evolve, or Gtalk.

TeamSpeak: grimshad.doesntexist.com
    Evolve: Grimshad
    Gtalk: Grimshad at gmail dot com
    Last edited: September 17, 2012
  2. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Re: Lets play TA to pass the time!

I've been playing TA: Twilight quite a bit, as it's my favorite TA mod.
    I've been trying out Zero K, since so many here seem to like it. Not bad at all!
    Also been playing FA, as it's my RTS staple.

Sadly, things have been busy at work lately, so I my time is limited for actually playing anything online . . .
  3. grimshad

grimshad New Member

Re: Lets play TA to pass the time!

I think i stopped playing Absolute Annihilation soon after Twilight took it over and renamed it TA: Twilight. The good thing is that Balanced Annihilation (Which is the most popular spring version of TA) is a direct port of AA right before Twilight took it over. I never really liked Zero K. I mostly play Advanced BA and every so often have a game of BA.

Hope things slow down for you so you can get some time in :)
  4. Loafers

Loafers New Member

how about we play zero-k and support free software?
  5. thapear

thapear Member

No. TA.
  6. grimshad

grimshad New Member

Playing TA on Spring is supporting free software :p
    I'm not really into Zero-K, I prefer the more traditional TA with lots of extra and balanced units gameplay.

Come on... anyone up for a game? I would think in a forum where 100% of the users are TA fans or at least real RTS fans someone would want to play some RTS :)
  7. nii236

nii236 New Member

Well it seems this community is already divided enough on what to play. You have vanilla TA (with unofficial 4.0 patch), Supcom, FA, Supcom 2, TA: Spring and all of its mods.

I personally love me some Zero-K to death. I remember back in the day there were about 1000 commits per week and it was a nightmare just keeping on top of it all, but it has grown into a very mature and slick presentation of what the TA Spring engine has to offer.
  8. grimshad

grimshad New Member

That's very true, but it just isn't TA. I've been playing TA since it came out and it is by far the best RTS I have ever played. So I would rather play that than anything else. I don't really understand the division since I own and play everything from OTA to supcom:FA, but in the end everything derived from OTA and none of them did a very good job at representing TA gameplay. The closest thing you can come to OTA today while keeping up with technology is TA:Spring.
  9. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Balanced Annihilation is quite different from OTA too, it uses many special damages/armor types for balance, and has more micro requirement than OTA cause units can't shoot over friendly units.
  10. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

I play Total Annihilation Original with Core Contingency and Battle Tactics. I have not tried any of the different modern versions of TA all of you speak of. I have heard of Spring though. I also play Supreme commander Forged Alliance if anyone is interested. If a lot of you do play Spring then i'll download it and try it out.
  11. grimshad

grimshad New Member

I sent you a PM, I also play supcom:FA and I have the original disks if that's what you're interested in.
  12. TheEggman

TheEggman New Member

I would honestly love to play a few games of OTA before we get into PA's Alpha/Beta Stage. It would be cool to have a little 'league' with those of us who are playing TA while waiting for PA. Maybe we could set up a time that we could all play a few games.

I've played a few games recently with a few of the folks who still play TA on Gameranger and Warzone. Honestly I'm sick of playing against the same strategy over and over again. Everyone just builds Hawks. I'd like to see how some other people play TA. Especially those of you who were around for Boneyards and whatnot.
  13. nateious

nateious Active Member

I don't get to play TA nearly as much as I used to but when I do play a skirmish here and there I love trying out some of the newer mods that are still under active development. TA: Escalation is one of those and is really well done. If you have TA and haven't tried it, I recommend you do! (linked directly to forums since the TA: ESC website is rather out of date.)
  14. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

I have still the box from Ta at home lol, but the CD got long time broken.. is it actually possible to play on the current mac systems or windows, should i rather get some virtual machine?
  15. grimshad

grimshad New Member

For those of you interested in joining ultramarine777 and I please PM me so we can establish a line of communication outside of the forum. Then we can have some nice 2v2 matches :)
  16. molloy

molloy Member

OTA is the version most frequently used in competitive play. You don't see replay review sites popping up around these mods.

/modsnob

I was going to try play some TA a month ago had trouble getting my install to work right. Demo recorder wouldn't function properly. That's the main problem. The 4.0 patch may solve this issue but it's not ready yet and it's hard to say if the contrarian multiplayer community does adopt it even if they get it working perfectly.
  17. grimshad

grimshad New Member

Note above I am actually setting up games for TA:Spring, not OTA since it is just too much work getting everything running right for everyone with OTA. If you need help setting up Spring I can definitely help. :)
  18. beastslairsfraggle

beastslairsfraggle New Member

I've never actually owned a game like TA. So far the only comparable came I ever played was SubCom at a friends place and that was only a few games of multiplayer on LAN, always resulting in the untimely demise of my ACU along with a nice crater in my base due to me having a C&C mindset. So I've decided that I should probably start some experience grinding before the Beta starts, to prevent me from dropping it because I play like crap ;).

So far several mods and games were mentioned in this tread. I don't really have a lot of cash for buying a new game ( game budget went into the PA kickstarter) but which one is probably the best one to get better at this type of RTS?
  19. grimshad

grimshad New Member

As I've said multiple times in this thread. If your interested in playing with the small group we have going please PM me so we can establish the line of communication outside of the forum needed to setup games. We are playing TA:Spring which is for the most part TA, but free and more advanced. :)