Let's all help flush out old steam reviews

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, February 4, 2015.

?

Did you help flush the steam reviews?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Same benefits minus a few months of playing the game.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Only greedy on the part of anyone thinks they should get access to the game early for the same price. If you want early access, you should pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, wait. No one is forcing you, so it's simply consumer greed that want's everything now that says this is a bad model.

It said "early access price", and there was a sticky on the steam forum the entire time outlining the pricing structure. If you are buying into early access, you should be doing your due diligence.
    Last edited: February 5, 2015
  3. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Been doing this for months now ;)
  4. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Problem is that isn't CLEARLY stated. Most games early access is the same price as full release. Basically you are putting up with bugs and helping provide feedback and helping back the game with your funds. It's win win for the developer. No reason to be greedy and charge more for your free alpha and beta testers. Also it should be clearly stated on steam "this is the early access price, in x months the full release will be priced at Y". Seems deliberately misleading and crooked to not tell your consumers all the information.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

No reason for consumers to be greedy and ask for early access into a game for free. It's not like they end up with a lesser product. You get the game that later buyers get PLUS you get early access PLUS any listed exclusives. It's a benefit; privilege even, and one consumers should be paying for if they want to be included, not demanding for it for free. After all, if it's not for you, you can simply wait and not pay the premium.

Except they did. Again, due diligence on the part of consumers is not unreasonable. Early access is not simply a way of getting a full game early, and far too many people see it as that, no matter how many warnings and info messages steam puts up. It's designed for those who are genuinely interesting in seeing the game progress and be able to provide feedback in shaping the game if they wish. It should be something you research and look up. And a sticky on the game forum where the future of the product is clearly spelled out is not out of the way.
    pieman2906, xanoxis, Geers and 4 others like this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You could buy from Uber's actual store and get any version you wanted at any time, except not for early access. (you can buy alpha for 90, beta for 60, and release for 40, exactly the same as the kickstarter.)

Everyone knew the price was going to drop as the game progressed, And only about 1000 people probably bought alpha (just basing this off of the 100 - 300 player average we'd get in alpha, could be wrong about the number, but anyone who bought it for 90 dollars knew that was not the final price.)
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Minor nitpick; Beta for kickstarter for $40 and release was $20 ($15 for earlybird)
  8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

no, thank you, this is called manipulation and I will have no part in it
  9. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I can't agree, these are consumers testing your product for free, providing viable feedback before release, dealing with bugs, half released content. Using their free time to help. Not only that, but they are backing an unfinished product, taking a risk it may never come in to fruition. They are helping you get your feet off the ground and network for you. No reason to screw them over with higher prices. Why do you think the majority of early access on steam is a discount for users who opt in? Very, VERY few companies charge extra for early access.

It’s one thing if there is a link to kickstarter that says, hey, we’d appreciate more money if you can afford it. There is also the approach the Grind Gear Games takes where you can slowly upgrade your donation membership, with incentives along the way.

It’s another to sneak the game on steam as early access, with no indication in the description it will be cheaper later. I remember having to hunt around on the forums to find info on it. I don’t think it’s fair for everyone to have to play detective before buying a game. There is also the fact that it had such a high price tag for something that was not anywhere close to the AAA titles you'd except at that price range. I think the way uber did this was crooked plain and simple. And guess what, I am not a lot, there were many many posts with similar responses to mine when early access hit.

Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion as am I. That’s fine. But this is my take on it.
  10. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

11. Geers

Yeah and check out all the "helpful critique" those games get.
    Bsport likes this.
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I've done the same.
    christer1966 likes this.
  13. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

What's the manipulation? Downvote a review you disagree with or asking other to do so? I'm sure people who doesn't like the game won't give a sh** about the OP petition.
    I bought the game on release I didn't care about alphas, betas, kick starters when having a lot of fun with the game. People who are considering buying the game right now shouldn't be bothered with uber's old sins.
    This is a very good and innovative game not like that AAA SC2. I used to play StarCraft long time ago. Yesterday I watched a SC2 video with low detail and a title that contained the word dragon and took me 10 mins to realize it wasn't SC1(what is that blue ball unit? A sentry??)
  14. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Errm, wait? So you do suggest to get MORE (read as: the same but earlier) for the same price as the others paid? :eek:
    Seriously?!

There was a good price all the time and that price was "20$ for final" or "40$ for two keys+Soundtrack"---if your only will was to preorder the game you could have simply exactly done this! :)
  15. Geers

No. Downvoting reviews that are outdated and contain objectively wrong information.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yeah dude, just plop down 40-100$ without any research whatsoever. Totally Uber's fault, they practically robbed you at knife point didn't they?
    cola_colin and pieman2906 like this.
  17. theseeker2

We're supposed to review the game, not skew the existing reviews.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Then why does the helpful/not helpful system exist? Obviously you are supposed to say which reviews are helpful or not.. (or funny?...)
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

You have to admit there's a problem with there being 4-5 month old reviews holding back noobs from buying the game.

Those reviews are obsolete and should be deleted.
    squishypon3, stuart98 and pieman2906 like this.
  20. theseeker2

Yes, but it's not really meant to be abused in an organized fashion by people associated with the developer - as we all are because most of us were beta/alpha testers.