Lead Writer here. Have lore questions? I have answers! Maybe...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkhusker, June 20, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

But few of these ideas seem to actually be in conflict, there only really seems to be 2 major sides to this, the pro commanders and the pro carbon based life.

So I don't really understand the actual conflict between them, the factions have no depth in them whatsoever.

So I was wondering that with the new lore of the progenitors and the like the factions might be changed to something with more depth and something that might actually make some scene.

Like you have one destructive faction, and one anti-progenitor faction.

Why are they fighting? Their goals are not mutually exclusive.

Most of the factions here aren't even fighting for something that is even worth fighting for, little petty conflicts that could easily be solved via diplomacy.

Not actual conflicts that would be fought over for eons.
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  2. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Let me put it to you this way. Let's say that when you were a little kid you learned how to ride a bike. Then for some reason you did not ride a bike for many many years. Then one day your friend bought a shiny new one and offered to let you take it for a spin. You got right on it and took off, even though you had not ridden one and years. You just did it by memory.
    This is the essence of what the Commanders are experiencing. They know how to do all these things...but the part that is missing is they don't know why they know. As more of their story is revealed answers to these questions will come to light.
    LavaSnake and SolitaryCheese like this.
  3. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

These are called "teasers" for a reason. They do not give the reader the full story of why these factions do what they do. As more of the story comes out, it will become more clear as to what drives each of these factions.

I am glad that you have interest in this! It makes it apparent that people want more of these stories and want to know why things are they way they are. So thank you for that! I can promise you that with the overwhelming positive reaction people have displayed for the lore there will be much more of it to come. I look forward to giving people answers to the questions they may have!
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

;) Well I can't be disapproving of this as long as it continues to evolve.

I look forward to stuff like the new lore, because the progenitor lore is really really great.
  5. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Thanks for the compliment. I really look forward to revealing more of the universe. There are a ton of stories to tell.
    SolitaryCheese and igncom1 like this.
  6. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

I think Luke Skywalker would have been an expert at fighting Commanders.....:D
  7. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

From what I have gathered from people so far is their desire to see more stories told about the present day Commanders and why they are fighting. I can tell you all that those are coming.

Are there any other stories, say from what you have read in the Galactic War that you want to know more about?
  8. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

The whole Progenitor-Commander war must have been pretty terrifying from the human perspective. Check out the tiny people near the trees: [​IMG]
    Imagine fighting armies of thousands of those things as a squishy mortal human.
    Pendaelose and Remy561 like this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You have no idea how much I want ALL of those models... (Uber gimme those bot and tank models, pretty please! )
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Why wouldn't the humans have the same tech? They built the commanders in the first place... Right?
  11. squishypon3

Hey, would it be too much to ask of you to put in good word for us, to have those amazing models? <3
    websterx01 likes this.
  12. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

Imagine, as a human, fighting a war against giant, sentient machines. They don't worry about protecting loved ones, they don't have to deal with politics, they don't have to negotiate contracts with weapons and tech producers, etc. They are continually learning and evolving their way to wage war while humanity struggles just to keep pace. So while it might be true they had the same tech at the outset of the Pro-Com War, it certainly did not remain that way as it progressed.
  13. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

You know, this is what I miss a bit in PA, and I had the same issues with many Warhammer 40K productions as well.

You just don't get how fricking massive these things are until you put them in proper context, such as putting squishy little human beings or their buildings next to them.

This is something pacific rim did really well actually.
  14. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

I'll see what I can do. ;)
    Imagine being a human marine on some forgotten rock in space tasked with fighting these machines......fun times.
  15. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Just give me my bolter, a cigar, and about 4 hours and it's all sorted. ;)
    meir22344 and emraldis like this.
  16. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'm more interested in the buildings. The dox is a better looking dox, the tank is a dual-barreled ant. The buildings though, they look very little like their present day incarnations and would thus be easy to use in ways that prevent them from being mistaken for vanilla models.

Although using that tank as a strider is an attractive idea...
  17. squishypon3

Exactly, and I could find some use for the T1 bot in there.
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The only use for it that I can think of is using it instead of the vanilla Dox.
  19. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Is there anyway for new commanders to be created after these commanders have awoken?
  20. mkhusker

mkhusker Member

The short answer to that is.....yes. :)